Public Libraries and You?

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2019 09:48 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

did you put a return address on each leaf??

With Stamps.com, I'm certain she could get bulk mail rates.

This post is sponsored by Stamps.com. When you need mailing out leaves and weeds? Think Stamps.com! Today! Use Promocode Tsarstepan for one months free acorns.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2019 09:51 am
@farmerman,
Tsk.....noooooo....

that way the mailman would have been able to find me, and none of this would have happened.

Jesus farmer.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2019 11:59 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Me:

"Oooohhhhhh......"

Thinking back, what a nice guy. I don't remember ever feeling bad afterwards, I just stopped mailing leaves.

Were you blond?

He must have told that story a million times.
chai2

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2019 12:23 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Were you blond?

IDK Why? Laughing

I probably was, thinking back.
Once when we were on the NJ Parkway, I asked what they do with all those quarters we threw in the baskets at the toll booths.

My mother said "They use them to make the roads"

One guess what I thought that meant. Very Happy

I was all set to get out there with my beach shovel and bucket and make my fortune.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 11:14 am
When I was a kid, my geandmother screamed at me for marking my page in a book by folding down the corner of the page. For her, any act that in any way way defaced a book was a sacrelidge.

I repeated tge pattern when my daughter folded the corner of her book. Then, when I thought about it I felt bad for yelling at her. After all I can replace any of her books for $10 or so. Books are now disposable... and soon they will be obsolete. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her marking her prpgress.

Book fetishists mistake the words and ideas in a book with the cheap paper on which they are written.

The ideas are the same in any of a million cheap paperback copies or better yet, an elecronic device.
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 11:20 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

When I was a kid, my geandmother screamed at me for marking my page in a book by folding down the corner of the page. For her, any act that in any way way defaced a book was a sacrelidge.

I repeated tge pattern when my daughter folded the corner of her book. Then, when I thought about it I felt bad for yelling at her. After all I can replace any of her books for $10 or so. Books are now disposable... and soon they will be obsolete. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her marking her prpgress.

As long as it is not one you have borrowed from a library. When I own a book - I do the same thing turn down the corner of the page of my book. To me it saves the page better than a book mark that can fall out.

I remember reading something from an author - cannot for the life of me remember who it was - but s/he said something along the lines of how they love seeing their books well worn (i.e. torn pages, corners torn down, etc) - it shows that the book has been read alot - sort of a love of the book.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2019 11:40 am
@Linkat,
My point is that the role of books has changed. A hundred years ago books were expensive. Fifty years ago books (as glued together pieces of paper, became cheap. Now the cost of a book is trivial for most Americans.

In fifty years books will go the way of payphones and blacksmiths. In a hundred years everyone who misses them will be dead. And the world will go onenjust fine without them.

Stories were around when a book cost several years salary and were inaccessible to all but the very rich. Ans stories will be around when paper books are a distant memory.

Don't confuse thoughts, ideas and stories with ink marks on paper.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2024 02:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
Meet the woman who helped libraries across the U.S. 'surf the internet'
https://imgur.com/KhTS6Q0.jpg
0 Replies