True Religion

Leadfoot

Fri 14 Jan, 2022 11:09 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
When you make a claim you ought to own it.

Is your point "the largest", when made about an entity means nothing? My point was actually an observation: you made a totally inaccurate claim.

Nice try at straw-man argument.

Both you and bulma miss (intentionally?) the principal I was addressing.
The size of the group has nothing to do with what I said, although I question your assertion about the size of 'Family First'. The 'size' referred to was the daily audience size of the group, not the organization itself. I can confidently say that the daily TV audience size of the Catholic Church is a fraction of 'Family First'.

But again, the point was that the IDEAL of 'family first' is the 'God' of far more people than God himself.

@bulma: 'As a man thinks, so is he'.
Can you see how this relates to to your defense of 'Well, I’m not actually doing it right now.'?
Leadfoot

Fri 14 Jan, 2022 11:26 am
Izzy said:
Quote:
I've never heard of Family First. That's how ******* big it is.

That’s the name of the parent organization which is almost never used. More Americans will recognize them as 'Pat Robertson’s'700 Club'.
(Almost as bad a name for a 'Christian' organization as 'Family First' )

izzythepush

Fri 14 Jan, 2022 11:28 am
@Leadfoot,
Never heard of that either.

Never heard of him.
Leadfoot

Fri 14 Jan, 2022 11:31 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Never heard of that either.

Never heard of him.

There’s a Shocker!, considering the great interest you have in religion.
izzythepush

Fri 14 Jan, 2022 11:35 am
@Leadfoot,
I take it he's some sort of gobshite money making American TV evangelists?

I've no interest in someone like that.

You're better off reading what the mullah Nasrudin has to say.
Leadfoot

Fri 14 Jan, 2022 11:37 am
Rolling Eyes , but yeah, he is.

But it’s Always a good idea to 'Know thine enemy'.
izzythepush

Fri 14 Jan, 2022 11:48 am
@izzythepush,
Actually Nasrudin is a good read regardless off what you believe, they're folk tales as good as others and good food for thought.

The following, which you may have heard is attributed to Nasrudin.

One day the mullah was seen clapping his hands furiously. When the towns people asked him why he was doing it he said it was to keep the tigers away. They replied that there weren't any tigers he said it showed it worked.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 14 Jan, 2022 11:56 am
@Leadfoot,
He's not my enemy, he's unheard of in these parts.
bulmabriefs144

Fri 14 Jan, 2022 12:13 pm
@Leadfoot,
700 Club is ****.

Basically, they are loathed by non-Christians as being a overtly Christian group.
But they are also loathed by Christians for their prosperity Gospel message ("if you believe in Jesus, you too can become rich/powerful").

Basically, it's Christianity as envisioned by Ponzi and Billy Mays.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 14 Jan, 2022 01:32 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
He's not my enemy, he's unheard of in these parts.

'We struggle not against flesh and blood…'
0 Replies

Albuquerque

Fri 14 Jan, 2022 01:53 pm
...I once had "true Religion" when I was born and a for a few more years when I was young...and the images, the sounds and the smells of the world, as the people faces and smiles all seamed Real Fair and Good.

I was alive in my ignorance and now that I know better my dreams are barren, my imagination wishes nothing and my will for willing is dead!
bulmabriefs144

Sat 15 Jan, 2022 07:48 am
@Albuquerque,
See, you sound like Frank.

But it isn't a matter of knowing better, is it? You've had your dreams crushed, in much the same way as someone who outright hates Christmas (not just not believing in Santa like the rest of us) after their lover left them/died on that day.

But let me tell you something. I've had my dreams crushed too. Again and again, in fact. The difference is, I was able to prove to myself that God exists not only intellectually, but I think I met someone like God. I kept meeting this person, same backstory, same catchphrase ( "no worries"), same eyes, different person. I cannot sayh that God does not exist because that would be a lie. But I can say that I feel I've screwed things up. I've kept getting back up again. Because I love her, even though I understandably have had all my dreams crushed and don't honestly know what to do anymore.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 15 Jan, 2022 08:01 am
@Albuquerque,
Quote:

...I once had "true Religion" when I was born and a for a few more years when I was young...and the images, the sounds and the smells of the world, as the people faces and smiles all seamed Real Fair and Good.

I was alive in my ignorance and now that I know better my dreams are barren, my imagination wishes nothing and my will for willing is dead!

Dude! You really need to work on that sales pitch.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 15 Jan, 2022 08:03 am
@Leadfoot,
And you are running the bullshit gambit. You said "Family First" is the largest Christian organization in the US. And it's not even close. The Lutheran Brotherhood is bigger.

It's untrue, and you don't want to admit you misspoke, so you point your grimy finger at me? You told the lie.
Leadfoot

Sat 15 Jan, 2022 08:05 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Sorry Bob. I thought I did.
But don’t stop, you keep banging away on that drum.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 15 Jan, 2022 08:15 am
@izzythepush,
Sounds pretty grim.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 15 Jan, 2022 08:18 am
@Leadfoot,
I certainly wouldn't want to deprive you of the last word.

Oops.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 15 Jan, 2022 08:26 am
@bobsal u1553115,
It does, it was fronted by two very mediocre comedians who realised they weren't funny enough to make a living from comedy so they do this **** instead.
Albuquerque

Sun 16 Jan, 2022 03:09 am
@Leadfoot,
Sales pitch...seriously?
So I open publicly to an honest statement of my essence as IT IS now!
A statement that has nothing to do with soap operas or selling anything.
It just is who I am these days!
It is not about failed dreams either, no such vanity...it is about failing to appreciate the illusion in which we all live in.
I had it when I was a child and I lost it when I become aware.
Silly as it might sound, what probably wouldn't spare you a second thought it is vital to me.
While I chose facts you gathered illusions to prevent you from suffering. Aren't you a smart lad eh...
Leadfoot

Sun 16 Jan, 2022 05:04 am
@Albuquerque,
Quote:
Sales pitch...seriously?

Of course not Fil. No disrespect meant, hell, I even joke around with God himself.