True Religion

Theo202

Tue 3 May, 2022 04:56 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
Quote:
No, that's the official conclusion of the Christian church.

That's an appeal to authority fallacy.
Paul misrepresents the law by no mentioning the blessings of Deuteronomy 28.
Habakuk 2 is about Paul, the proud man who gathers all nations (self declared apostle to the Gentiles)
The Anointed

Tue 3 May, 2022 07:15 pm
@Theo202,
Have you been circumcised according to the Law, Theo?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Tue 3 May, 2022 10:43 pm
I lost track because there are 27 comments I can't read..........I don't have the patience or saintly nature to open up all of those 'things' so I'll just rest awhile.
bulmabriefs144

Wed 4 May, 2022 08:54 am
@Theo202,
No it's not.

An appeal to authority would be if I said that because they said it, it must be true. An extreme appeal to authority is the appeal to experts, name-dropping theologians like Paul Tillich.

An idea you happen to agree with already that you then find in a book used by your church just reinforces the notion that your beliefs are orthodox. But if you came to that conclusion yourself, you're not using their authority, you're just agreeing with their opinion here.

My actual beliefs concerning this came from doing therapy, and reading two books in particular. The Gifts of Imperfection (Brene Brown) and When Panic Attacks (David Burns), I had found under different circumstances. The second was part of the therapy book that I was asked to read (I didn't until later), and the first something I found at Amazon. Both of these were about letting go of the perfect and being your best self, not the best. But more importantly, I was learning this firsthand working for Amazon.

Theo202

Wed 4 May, 2022 12:34 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
Quote:
An appeal to authority would be if I said that because they said it, it must be true.

The "it must be true" part is implied by the context since bringing it up supports your position.
bulmabriefs144

Wed 4 May, 2022 12:53 pm
@Theo202,
I'm not sure I follow, but yeah okay.
Theo202

Wed 4 May, 2022 01:36 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
If someone takes a position in an argument and then makes a claim that supports that position, then it's reasonable to think that the claim is part of the argument, and so it can be treated as if the claim was explicitly part of the argument.

Quote:
letting go of the perfect and being your best self, not the best

This is derived from the error of humanism, the idea that perfection is unattainable. It's related to atheism since the divine can be regarded to be free of error or flaw.
0 Replies

The Anointed

Thu 5 May, 2022 02:14 am
Let me ask you again Theo, have you been circumcised?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 5 May, 2022 02:16 am
@glitterbag,
Anointed is asking Theo personal questions about his penis.

Now is the time to put them both on ignore, before I fetch my breakfast up.
izzythepush

Thu 5 May, 2022 02:46 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Now is the time to put them both on ignore,

Wise move.
izzythepush

Thu 5 May, 2022 02:49 am
Tiny, bald and yellow,
It's your little cheesy fellow.
0 Replies

The Anointed

Thu 5 May, 2022 02:57 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Wise move.

After posting; "Now is the time to put them both on ignore," It pats itself on the back, by saying, of it own statement; 'WISE MOVE'

The poor thing talks to itself. WELL, no wonder, because no one else was going to say than anything put forward by it, would have been a 'WISE MOVE.'

Crawl back into you little dungeon of darkness mate, with all the other vile mouth animals.

Quote:
Tiny, bald and yellow,
It's your little cheesy fellow.

And I would bet that you're a cheese eater Izzy.

0 Replies