leave a child behind & tie him up

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 03:31 pm
Quote:
A Charles County (Md) high school's decision to deny a diploma to a senior who wore a bolo tie to graduation didn't offend just the student and his family. Montana's governor is mighty annoyed, too.
"To have some high school say that a bolo tie is not a tie is an outrage," said Gov. Brian Schweitzer (D), who called The Washington Post yesterday after reading an article about 17-year-old Thomas Benya. "In Montana and anyplace in Indian country, a bolo tie is dressed up," he said. "A tie is a tie."
The Waldorf teenager first wore his black, braided tie to a graduation rehearsal Tuesday as a symbol of his Native American roots. His paternal grandmother's father and grandfather were born on a Cherokee reservation in Oklahoma.
But the principal at Maurice J. McDonough High School said the skinny tie with a silver clasp did not meet the school's definition of a tie. Benya wore it anyway. When he tried to collect his diploma after the ceremony Wednesday, he was told to schedule a conference with school administrators. Benya's parents said they are waiting for an apology from the school system.

On a personal note, I only own bolo ties and have always considered them to be the state of the art when it comes to formal wear. I even got a special one (Zuni made) to take to Walter when we visted last month.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 637 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 03:42 pm
I do not own any but they are not uncommon around here (Connecticut) It is my understanding that if they were made by the right Hopi silversmith some of the clasps are collectables. I wonder how some people get the positions of authority they occupy.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:15 pm
That is just insane. What the hell is wrong with people ?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:17 pm
Had he also brought nunchucks, it might have made sense.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:25 pm
Put enough silver on the ends, they make dandy nucklumps.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:44 pm
some common bolo ties
http://www.aaajewelry.com/pic154.JPG
0 Replies