My cartoon and comic creativity help thread

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 03:48 am
@izzythepush,
I think I recall telling you, Sean "Puffy" Combs, who now go goes by the moniker "P. Diddy", as far as I know, isn't GAY.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 04:22 am
@JGoldman10,
That's irrelevant, in most of the English speaking world the term is a derogatory slur.

And why do you think he changed his name to P Diddy?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 09:49 am
@JGoldman10,
Is the use of slang really that necessary for your projects? It seems that the meaning of most slang would be lost to parts of your audience, unless it is part of the joke.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 09:55 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Is the use of slang really that necessary for your projects? It seems that the meaning of most slang would be lost to parts of your audience, unless it is part of the joke.

Slang will ultimately age a given work or project POORLY. Especially if the slang dies a relatively short lifespan and suffers a backlash (not necessarily PC backlash) in the pop culture because ... well things do get riffed on after a given thing, idea, celebrity, meme, etc... loses its initial popularity and becomes old and trite and mainstream.

And ultimately, JGoldman10, who fetishizes the 80s and 90s to the detriment of his own understanding of contemporary/current pop culture and what people may or may not want in comics and animated projects as well as what is or isn't Kosher in terms of racist terms, sentiment, etc....
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 10:29 am
@tsarstepan,
There was a recent game called Thimbleweed Park, that was set in the 1980s.

One of the puzzles was to talk in 80s slang to a teenager in order to get an item. It was intentionally hard as some of the slang didn't make sense anymore, and the puzzle added slang words from the 50s and 70s. I only figured it out by trial and error.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 10:35 am
@Rebelofnj,
I remember reading a review of a book set in the 80s. All I remember is the reviewer complaining about the constant use of the word epic.

Everything was epic, I was a young man back then and I may have it once or twice but that was about it.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 10:41 am
@izzythepush,
And "totally rad" was a monstrously popular turn of phrase. Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes
izzythepush

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 10:46 am
@tsarstepan,
I remember that, now everything is awesome.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 12:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ever seen and/or heard of and/or read about that cartoon Regular Show? They fetishized '80s and '90s culture in it to an extent.

I am working on more than one series idea.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 12:40 pm
@JGoldman10,
Regular Show is quite funny, imaginative, and very character driven show but it's not slavishly devoted to the time period. It's an aesthetic choice not a complete dedication towards the decades. Hardly say the creators fetishize the period to a terrible point of no return. And you sir are NO J.G. Quintel.

It also is a very modern/contemporary product of 2010s (socially and culturally). There's no blatant homophobia. And consent is very much a good thing discussed for relationships. I'm certain your upcoming potential trash won't be relevant in any fashion (socially or humor based) or method.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 12:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
The show had a style influenced by the 80s and 90s, but it was not about the 80s and 90s. It was about two college age guys working at a park, their relationships with friends, co-workers and significant others, and dealing with usually normal events in bizarre ways.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 01:29 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I've seen the show. There were a handful of '80s and '90s references in it.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 01:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
No, I am not Mr. Quintel. Regular Show was kind of off-the-wall. I wouldn't produce a cartoon or comic series like that.

Some other current kids'/family/all-age cartoon shows, animated films and comics advocate LGBTQIA agenda. I am not doing that either.

Some comics produced now advocate LGBTQIA agenda.

I wouldn't let my kids watch a lot of cartoons and read a bunch of comics being made now if I were a parent.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 01:37 pm
I want to produce both modern cartoons, and cartoons that are throwbacks to classic Hollywood-era ones.

And comics based off of this.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 01:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I've seen the show. There were a handful of '80s and '90s references in it.

Yes. And? That's not what I mean by fetishize. I suspect you can figure/suss that out.

JGoldman10 wrote:

No, I am not Mr. Quintel. Regular Show was kind of off-the-wall. I wouldn't produce a cartoon or comic series like that.

Do you mean ... you wouldn't produce a high quality animated show that's original, well meaning, and beloved, AND not embarrassingly out-dated and cringe-worhthy? You're probably right.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 01:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
I know what you meant by fetishize. I assume they threw in '80s and '90s references to attract older audiences.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 01:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
What exactly is the gay agenda? I hear it talked about by conservatives and evangelicals but I have not seen any details about what it is.

I read plenty of monthly comics. Many of them don't even mention homosexuality or any gay characters. Even when Batwoman had an ongoing comic, the primary focus of the comic was not about her romantic relationships.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 02:03 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Militant groups were trying to impose the LGBTQIA agenda on this gen's children and young people, and were trying to encourage them to take on the LGBTQIA lifestyle.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 02:07 pm
@JGoldman10,

Unless I can come up with a better name. I'd like to think there's terms used in Black slang for hair that aren't racist and/or offensive.

"Activator" would be a funny name.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 02:10 pm
To be fair, how come you never hear of any Caucasian Captains Ethnic with "White" in their names, aside from the villain White Shadow from Minoriteam?

Would most White people be offended by this?