Eminem's backstory

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 09:30 pm
Hi. I am just a tad curious about this. I am not an avid Eminem fan for a number of reasons, but I've always considered Eminem to be somewhat of an oddity.

Is his backstory typical? Is he another rapper that went from rags to riches?

I know he was a high school dropout and that he was bullied when he was in school.

I know he never went to college. He made it big in rap/hip-hop because he made the right connections. Dr. Dre discovered his music and helped launch his career by working with him.

But how often does something like this happen?

Do rappers typically make it big in rap/hip-hop without going to college? Without a college education and degree? Without getting the proper training in college needed to establish a career in rap/hip-hop?

How does one make it in rap/hip-hop without going to college?

What would one major in, and what courses would one take in college if one wanted to establish a career in rap/hip-hop?

I always thought the story regarding how Eminem made it in rap/hip-hop was that rap was all he had to fall back on, and that's why he pushed himself to do well as a rapper. At least that is what he has indicated and/or inferred in some of his songs.

However, according to:

https://www.ladbible.com/more/awesome-eminem-wanted-to-be-a-comic-book-artist-if-he-wasnt-a-rapper-20170224
https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/6nsxma/a_marvel_sketch_by_eminem/

he wanted to be a Marvel Comics artist if he didn't go into rap/hip-hop. What stopped him from pursuing a career working for Marvel?

Eminem has a net worth in the billions- his records are sold worldwide, not to mention all the money he rakes in performing in concerts and making music videos.

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,870 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 09:57 pm
@JGoldman10,
There are many rap music people who never set foot in a college.

50 Cent is said to have been selling drugs at the age of 12. Others in the industry have similar off the beaten path backgrounds.

To be successful involves many things. An ability to rap being one of them. Timing also helps. That is being in the right place at the right time and being discovered. It also helps to have ambition and a stick to it attitude where you never give up or stop following your dreams and passions.
jespah

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 10:35 am
@Sturgis,
No doubt there was an interest in Eminem because he was a white rapper who, unlike Vanilla Ice or Snow, actually had a saleable backstory.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 05:18 pm
@jespah,
He was discriminated against when he first joined the rap/hip-hop community and started performing simply because he was white.

He was raised in a poor, predominantly African American neighborhood.
0 Replies

Maztamind

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2023 08:03 am
Eminem has one of the most intresting back stories in hiphop.
0 Replies