And the Weiner is . . .

jespah

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 04:00 pm
Speaking of the great Dolly - it might be interesting to open up a discussion of First Ladies.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 07:25 am
You should do that, Boss . . . quite honestly, i don't know that much about the consorts of our Presidents . . .
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 07:26 pm
George Mason of Virginia
The writer of the original bill of rights.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 07:35 pm
I think it's time for Setanta to learn more about consorting with consorts. A gap in his education to be filled. Go for it, Jes! (or do we wait til we can get edithdoll over here? she'd be able to take him on with this sort of topic)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 07:33 am
Hang on, I'm going to create a First Ladies' quiz. But give me some time to make it, hmmm, tricky. :-D
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:12 am
Great idea First Ladies quiz.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 10:12 am
Once again Setanta and I are in absolute accord. Washington stands so tall that even the giants of American History barely reach his shoe tops. R.E. Lee, a man of great stature himself, regarded Washington almost as a god. Jefferson is greatly over-rated, though the Louisiana Purchase certainly was a good buy. Jefferson's way with words will long be remembered and cherished, but his vindictiveness and cowardly nature are already mostly forgotten. Jefferson's poltical views have outlasted the Federalists, and mores the pity. John Adams, while one of the most important of the Founding Fathers, had some very distinct draw-backs (couldn't lead a horse to water without annoying him). Someone mentioned the Bill of Rights, so let's tip our hat to George Mason.

I'm afraid to go on too long because my son's computer system has a way of kicking me off at inopportune times. Listen to Stanta, unless of course we disagree then go with my opinions. LOL Very Happy
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 10:26 am
Lincoln

I'm not sure that historians agree on this but IMO the south would have succeeded in leaving the union, if not for Lincoln.

If you accept that premise consider how DIFFERENT this continent (and for that matter this world) would be!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 11:14 am
Jjorge, your point is telling--there was certainly no one on the political horizon in 1860 who could have been counted on to move heaven and earth to preserve the Union, which is precisely what Lincoln intended from the outset. Good choice, Boss.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 11:17 am
Jefferson's words were greater than his actions.
0 Replies