is this possible?

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:33 pm
me and my ex have been fighting for a long time, since december maybe...there have been cease-fires along the way, but most of it has been bad. I still have feelings for her, and i think she does for me too, but she says she can only be friends with me now. She says she feels we have become different people which i agree with since we havent had a decent convo in like 6 months but as for the friends comment, i told her i cant be just friends with her cause i dont see her that way. There will always be feelings there for me and it will be awkward just being a friend. Do you gys think im being unreasonable? If you agree with me, offer up sum suggestions on how we can get back on track please....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 824 • Replies: 7
No top replies

JPB

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:46 pm
Sure you can be friends. It might take some time but it's certainly reasonable to spend time with someone whose company you enjoy or hang out as part of the same crowd without any bad feelings or thinking about what might have been or what used to be.

Try to think of relationships falling into one of three buckets: Casual, Close or Negative. There might be smaller groups within each bucket but most relationships can be thought of as falling into those with whom you are comfortable, those who you are close to, and those who make your skin crawl. I'm not including people that you barely know or don't know at all because you don't really have a relationship with them. Your Ex used to be in the Close bucket and now she's in the Negative bucket, even though you still have feelings for her. She's trying to say she wants you in her casual bucket - someone who she can enjoy being with as part of a group or even one-on-one. She doesn't want your relationship to be Negative, but she realises the two of you mixed like oil and water when you tried to be Close. She still has feelings for you too and she doesn't want you out of her life altogether and she doesn't want to fight with you.

It might take some time, but I think you and your ex could become good friends some day. She's sending out an olive branch, go ahead and take it.
0 Replies

MrBob329

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:49 pm
i cant tho...its gonna turn bad, i tried it already and it was like after a few weeks i wanted to take her out and we really cant have that, it causes issues and tension
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 06:45 pm
screw being friends. you won't get over her unless you cut all ties off. fvck friends. I hate it when girls say "just be friends."
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 08:02 pm
Laughing This could be one of those Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus things...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 09:30 pm
I think when relationships are based at least partly on agreements of interests and points of view as well as sexual attraction and tenderness, then if and when difficulties kill off the romance, then there is some room for being friends later on. Sometimes way later on, and not so usually right away.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 10:28 pm
True. In fact, when there is tenderness alone, it is possible to remain friends. I think that is the key.
0 Replies

WannaBeRoyal

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 08:05 am
Not only will you be miserable pretending to be JUST her "friend", but you will have to watch her dating and seeing other guys and it will also destroy any future GOOD relationships that you have.
Keep your good memories of what you two had and move on with your life without her in it at all.
0 Replies