Straight guys play at being gay to pick up chicks

frolic

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 03:56 am
The Observer

It's Saturday night, and Phil Graham and Dan Farndell are putting the final touches to their game plan for the evening. Graham has a new necklace, which he's not too sure about and Farndell is practising his walk, trying to replace every hint of masculine swagger with a more effeminate swing.

'Does this look too much?' Graham asked, fingering the gold chain around his neck. 'No, it's spot on - they'll love it,' said Farndell. Dressed in tight black T-shirts and trendy jeans, with leather jackets, hair gelled and subtle touches of jewellery, they want to look like any other gay couple out on the town.

But they are not like any other gay couple: they are 'Strays' - enthusiastic players of a new dating game gaining currency across the country when STRaight men pretend to be gAY to attract women. It's a trick, they insist, that delivers the required results.

'I never actively claim to be gay, but by simply giving women the impression I might be I find practically without exception there's more chance they will sleep with me when they realise I'm heterosexual,' admitted Graham, a 28-year-old computer expert from south London.

Gay best friends are a celebrity must-have - Madonna is seen out with Rupert Everett, Geri Halliwell turned to George Michael in her hour of need, and Sex And The City character Carrie Bradshaw relies on gay friend Stanford Blatch. But now, according to tomorrow's edition of Cosmopolitan magazine, heterosexual men are taking advantage of the vogue.

Geoff Saunders, the homosexual author of Other People and Watch My Lips, says the tactic has gained popularity over the past 18 months.

'It was the gay community that first coined the name Strays,' he said. 'I've seen Strays in action as far afield as Glasgow, Manchester, Leeds and Brighton.

'The gay community is divided about this tactic: on the one hand, we find it amusing and can understand why straight men do it; girls love hanging out with gay men because they want someone they can chat to and have a laugh with without worrying about ulterior motives.

'Obviously not all gay men dress and act like these men, and it's insulting to suggest we do. In reality, these men are not pretending to be gay, they're simply pretending not to be heterosexual predators on the pull.'

The ruse occurred to Graham a couple of years ago when a girlfriend told him one of his most attractive qualities was being unusually open for a heterosexual man. 'I didn't start pretending to be gay as a deliberate, cynical tactic right away,' he said. 'But the thought just grew until I decided to give it a proper go.'

Allan Pease, who co-wrote the recently published Why Men Can Only Do One Thing At A Time And Women Never Stop Talking with his wife Barbara, has observed the phenomenon in other countries.

'Men have begun testing this Stray technique in America and Australia too,' he said. 'But it's doomed, no matter what country it's tried in, because women all over the world want the same thing from their men, and that's someone they can trust.'

What began as a joke for Graham and his friends has become a routine: he estimates he can pick up twice as many women when in Stray mode than he can when approaching them as himself. Now, when he goes out to meet women, the chances are he'll pretend to be gay.

'I admit it still feels a bit odd to actively try to downplay my masculinity, but if I end up with a girl it's a temporary sacrifice I'm prepared to make.'

Farndell, an architect from Essex, agrees. 'I'm more successful and less nervous if I treat dating almost as if it's a sitcom or I'm a character in a film. You're not putting yourself on the line.

'To tell a woman you're gay is the end of everything,' he says. 'You need to make absolutely certain she can't accuse you of lying or deceiving her. The knack is to nuance your behaviour so she assumes you're homosexual but, when she realises you're not, feels it was she who misread the situation.

'Dancing is always a good ploy because heterosexual men aren't supposed to be able to move. That's a really big mistake on their part, because most women love dancing.'

The deception didn't seem to trouble Erika Johansson, a 25-year-old fashion buyer for a designer clothes label who approached Farndell as he danced with Graham and was soon shimmying up and down his side.

'To be honest, the only reason I started dancing with Dan was because I didn't think he was going to hit on me,' she said later. 'I could just be myself.'
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 12,158 • Replies: 115
No top replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 04:12 am
hmmmmm......
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 04:20 am
hmmmm . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 05:05 am
Don't you guys get it? Many women are not turned on by the chest thumping macho guy. They WANT men who are understanding and sympathetic. Years ago, Alan Alda (anybody remember him?) was considered the epitome of the "new" man. Masculine, but not afraid to show his emotional side, the sort of behavior that was heretofore ascribed to gay men.

What I find deplorable is that guys are faking it as a ploy to get women into the sack. I think that it is an insult to the women, deceptive, and really cruel. I really wonder what happens to the STRAYS when the women find out that they have been "taken".

A man does not need gold chains, leather jackets and tight jeans to become attractive to women. (unless a one night stand is what he wants, and if so go on to another thread) Many women want men who show that they care, will listen and be empathic. For years, (since I have been around for awhile, I know from personal experience) women have had gay guys as friends, because many of them are the kind of people to whom they can talk. Maybe you Schwartzenegger types can learn a thing or two from the gay guys!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 05:19 am
Yeah!!! What phoenix said!!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:41 am
Well, I think I would look just terrible in spandex. And gold chains ... I'm around machinery too much; damned things would get all caught up and tangled in the works for sure. Its denim, flannel, and trailboots for me. On the other hand, of course, I'm not out to "Pick up" anyone, guy or girl, straight or gay.

Some years ago, I lived and worked in the San Francisco Bay Area. A watering hole in The Financial District I frequented (it was in the same building as the offices of the firm for which I worked, and just steps away from a BART terminal) had a large gay clientel. I noticed then that women of seemingly hetero persuasion put considerable effort into attempting to "Lure and Cure" guys of the gay persuasion. I knew fellows who adopted suitable camoflage so they would be considered fair game to that subset of prowling females. They enjoyed some success. I mostly enjoyed beer, whisky, and the parade. I haven't changed much. Well, parades aren't as frequent any more, but now I live in a rural area.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:49 am
The "Observer" article, while probably factual, was probably placed by the P.R. department of the Cuba Gooding, Jr. film, "Boat Trip" which uses this ploy and is opening this weekend.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:52 am
flyboy, you are probably absolutely correct.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 11:07 pm
great job flyboy.

phoenix - I "got it" a long time ago, at great cost to me I might add - and I bet most of the men here did too, few of whom qualify or want to qualify as Scwartzenegger types, most of whom are as liberal as Alan Alda. I don't know who you're preaching too. Not me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 11:54 pm
Hey Larry- I don't see your name in my "sermon" Very Happy . I am very pleased to know that you have acquired the maturity and understanding that some men never achieve.

What you wrote reminded me about a conversation I overheard between two 75+ guys. They were talking about a friend who had gone out with a woman, whom they considered "easy". They described, in great detail, what this woman had done to their friend. If I couldn't see that they were two old farts, I would have thought that these guys were still in high school!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:01 am
I hear that Phoenix.

Larry
I, for one know that you're nothing like those two old farts. You're one of the good ones ;-)
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:08 am
Thanks g. - too bad some girls still can't see the harm in pushing silly stereotypes.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:10 am
I know :-(
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:51 am
I'm glad there's hope for old farts.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 09:21 pm
Timber, I lived in San Francisco in the 60's, but liked gay men for the reasons Phoenix stated. They were good company and I knew I was safe. Too bad there are predators on both sides.
(Timber in spandex? Hmmmm) Laughing

LarryBS, I think lots of men have discovered that the old macho ways just don't work and when they do, they usually are able to relax and discover how great it is to have a friend as well as a lover.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 11:03 pm
I think many men like me knew instinctively the old macho ways were wrong when we were 13 years old. And for a teen and young man to be shy, sweet, quiet, unaggressive, forgiving, compassionate and empathetic in this country is considered abnormal, especially among other teens and young men. I'm glad there are a lot of women on this site that don't think it is abnormal, but you must live and must have grown up in a far more liberal and progressive community, school system, and United States than I did. Boys are pushed from all directions to not have the qualities above, so its really no surprise that there are few men like that either. Thank god there are some good mothers and fathers out there that find most of the above qualities desirable qualities to have, but their efforts to raise sons like this face overwhelming odds against macho american culture.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 01:40 am
Larry
I agree. The peer pressure on boys is awful. I admire you're courage ;-)
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:49 am
Oh god, thanks but I was only partly referring to me and I've hardly ever been courageous - at least no more than most people as we all try to adapt to the world we live in. But there seems to be much hypocrisy out there - we want our men to let go of the old macho ways, be kinder, sweeter, more sensitive, more understanding of women - but I see over and over again this worship of forcefulness and aggressiveness, arrogance, selfishness, power, money. Can't have it both ways. The attempts to reconcile these competing visions of how men should be kind of remind me of the hilarious attempts of american right-wingers to reconcile christianity with business "ethics" as they are practiced in the U.S. today. Ludicrous.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:57 am
I think a man can be kind, sensative, sweet, and understanding without losing their status as being a man. I've known men who were rugged, yet all of the things I mentioed above as well.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 04:33 am
Good for you, g.
0 Replies