Supremes rule against medical marijuana

nimh

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:35 pm
McGentrix wrote:
nimh wrote:
Eehhmm ... hello - I'm from Holland, remember? The "fact" is that posession of marijana is NOT illegal where I'm from. So I don't get where I'm supposed to be merely "hypothesising".

But we are discussing the ruling made in the US and the legalities of marijuana in the US.

And you were arguing, the best I've understood, that steps towards legalisation are ill-advised because of the drug's gateway effect. I'd say that the possibility, left open in the source you brought, that legalisation would actually decrease the gateway effect is all too relevant to the topic of "the legalities of marijuana in the US". Now you dismissed this possibility as purely "hypothetical", but that it is not, simply because (partial) legalisation has been implemented in other countries.

Basically, if you are arguing against legalisation on the basis of the gateway effect argument, I dont see how experiences on that count in other countries where there was some legislation can be irrelevant?

(It's a bit odd to bring a source about Australia, but if it is countered by a comparison with Holland say that's irrelevant because "we are discussing the ruling made in the US".)
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:38 pm
Federal "price support" is identically defined as federal "subsidy"; legally there may be some distinction, financially there is none.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:50 pm
nimh wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
nimh wrote:
Eehhmm ... hello - I'm from Holland, remember? The "fact" is that posession of marijana is NOT illegal where I'm from. So I don't get where I'm supposed to be merely "hypothesising".

But we are discussing the ruling made in the US and the legalities of marijuana in the US.

And you were arguing, the best I've understood, that steps towards legalisation are ill-advised because of the drug's gateway effect. I'd say that the possibility, left open in the source you brought, that legalisation would actually decrease the gateway effect is all too relevant to the topic of "the legalities of marijuana in the US". Now you dismissed this possibility as purely "hypothetical", but that it is not, simply because (partial) legalisation has been implemented in other countries.

Basically, if you are arguing against legalisation on the basis of the gateway effect argument, I dont see how experiences on that count in other countries where there was some legislation can be irrelevant?

(It's a bit odd to bring a source about Australia, but if it is countered by a comparison with Holland say that's irrelevant because "we are discussing the ruling made in the US".)

Oh, sure, when you sum it all up like that it makes sense... Laughing

Alright, I see what you were saying now.

The gateway effect is only a part of the reason that marijuana should remain illegal (keep in mind I am all for medical use, just not recreational use.). What percentage of pot smokers did you say you have in Holland where it's legal?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 12:55 pm
Well you're the economist Hoft so I'm on unequal footing debating that one with you. Of course subsidies come into play in order to get farmers to accept the quotas, but exceeding the quota apparently is seen to affect the free market in interstate trade.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:01 pm
It's simple, Foxfyre, economic knowledge isn't required for this: price "support" is a subsidy which kicks in when the price falls below a certain level; in order to keep prices from falling below that level the federal government tries to control potential oversupply by allocating "quotas" to farmers.

There's a very clear federal interest in both price and quantity in this case, so the interstate clause applies.

Have a good weekend Smile
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:07 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I think Rehnquist, Black, and O'Connor got it right.

Am I the only one who noticed this Freudian slip?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:18 pm
Oh gosh, you're right Joe. No Freudian slip though. I was arguing a matter re Hugo Black and judicial activism in another thread so it was more of a brain fart I think. Anyhow, I've fixed it. Thanks for pointing out the error.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:44 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
DTom writes
Quote:
the legalization of marijuana would affect the prescription drug market though, imo.

You could be right here, but wouldn't that in fact give credence to the idea that interstate traffic would be affected? Look at the case cited. A farmer grows more wheat than his allocated quota on the theory that if he uses all the extra wheat himself for seed, etc. he isn't hurting anybody. But the court ruled that no, if the farmer uses his own overproduction, he is not buying wheat for seed, etc. and thus interstate sales are affected.

So if people growing their own pot affect interstate sales of pharmaseuticals, then that would be the same thing, yes? Dumb or not, you can see the rationale.

Personally I would rather see marijuane decriminalized and tightly regulated for awhile just to see if it would have a detrimental affect on society. I am opposed to criminalizing things because they MIGHT be harmful.

But

yep. i think that the biggest blow to the pharm corp.s would be that several of their bread and butter products would be rendered obsolete.

one of the big obstacles to legalization, perhaps, is the very fact that just about anyone can grow their own. actually it kind of grows itself. so be careful where ya throw those seeds, foxy.

i can work with your idea of decriminalization. it's been in force at least as long as i've been in cali. in fact, when i moved here in 1976, it was okay to maintain up to 3 plants for personal use. i should take a look and see if that's still on the books.

you really are quite liberal on this issue, aren't ya? :wink:
0 Replies

john w k

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:54 pm
HofT wrote:
John W K - isn't your objection the very reason that the majority opinion had to be based on the interstate commerce clause (however ridiculous that basis may be in the specific case), so as to supersede all state law?

And isn't that the very basis for both dissents I and II, specifically dissent I (i) and (ii) with which Rehnquist concurred?

I'm not sure I fully understand you question.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 03:30 am
I'll rephrase. Several states (incl. California) have declared medical marijuana to be legal, especially when grown on ill peoples' own premises for their own use - such as were involved in this case.

In order to override this very clear issue of states'
rights, wasn't it necessary to find some major federal interest in the matter, and was this not done here by what Rehnquist termed a "breathtaking expansion" of the commerce clause?
0 Replies

john w k

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 07:50 am
HofT wrote:
I'll rephrase. Several states (incl. California) have declared medical marijuana to be legal, especially when grown on ill peoples' own premises for their own use - such as were involved in this case.

In order to override this very clear issue of states'
rights, wasn't it necessary to find some major federal interest in the matter, and was this not done here by what Rehnquist termed a "breathtaking expansion" of the commerce clause?

HofT,

I believe I understand your question, and will respond as follows.

The people of various states, acting in compliance with the recognized powers retained by them under their state constitutions to enact laws within their sovereign state borders for the public health, safety and general welfare therein, have enacted laws to regulate a substance within their particular state borders as they see fit. The majority of Justices on the SCOTUS, apparently upset with what the people of various states have done under their retained powers as guaranteed by the 9th and 10th Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, have pretended another part of the Constitution, the power of Congress to regulate commerce “among” the states, was approved by the people with the intention to allow Congress to regulate the subject matter in question within the various state borders, and may enact legislation to prosecute people within the various states who act in accordance with laws they adopt under their state constitutional system which violate legislation enacted by Congress.

It should be noted however, that the majority opinion of SCOTUS offers no evidence from the historical records___ Federalists and Anti Federalist Papers, Madison’s Notes, Elliot’s Debates, etc.___, during which time the power to regulate commerce among the states was approved by the people, was adopted by them with the intention asserted by the Court in its majority opinion.

Indeed, the historical record offers an abundance of evidence to the contrary, and gives sufficient cause to believe those who concurred in the majority opinion of the Court are knowingly and willingly using their office of public trust to subjugate our constitutionally limited Republican Form of Government, and attempting to impose their own personal whims and fancies upon the people of the various united States.

I suggest you study the following which I posted in another thread: A most formidable domestic enemy: the SCOTUS!

JWK
ACRS

"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation and foreign commerce. ... The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives and liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement and prosperity of the State."___ Federalist Paper No. 42
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:16 am
Tks, John, that was my understanding also.

Next question: federal agents actually arrived and confiscated a couple of flower pots in the home of an unfortunate user dying of cancer - which strikes me as nothing short of monstrous. What appeal, if any, is available to these ill people? New legislation? And at what level, federal or state?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:19 am
In my opinion, Congress should rescind the federal law and return the issue to the states to decide. As we have seen, many states are coming around to a sensible point of view of the issue and history suggests that trend would continue..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:27 am
egads, this sounds all too much like anarchy!
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 09:18 am
This an article in Sciantific American by 2 researchers who identified the brain chemicals involved in chronic pain relieved by marijuana smoking and by no other known painkiller:

"The discoveries raise the possibility that abnormally low numbers of cannabinoid receptors or the faulty release of endogenous cannabinoids are involved in post-traumatic stress syndrome, phobias and certain forms of chronic pain. "

http://www.sciam.com/print_version.cfm?articleID=0008F53F-80F7-119B-80F783414B7F0000

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 10:07 am
Very interesting HofT, thanks for the article.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 11:23 am
Another article - WSJ blames the decision on liberal judges:

"The Supreme Court's liberal bloc--Stevens, Ginsburg, Souter and Breyer--ensured Monday with the support of Justices Kennedy and Scalia that people sick from cancer treatment will have to think first about a house call from the federal drug police before using marijuana to relieve their symptoms. ...

Liberalism to cancer patients: Drop dead."
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/dhenninger/?id=110006804

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 12:09 pm
thanks to you guys for providing some good info and explanations. got me thinking about the prohibition of alcohol in 1919. after i looked into it, it seems that, at least from a social pov, there's quite a few similarities.

Quote:
Amendment XVIII - Liquor abolished. Ratified 1/16/1919. Repealed by Amendment XXI, 12/5/1933. History

1. After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

2. The Congress and the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

3. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

pretty vague in justfication department. this is the companion explanation;

Quote:
18th Amendment
Consumption of alcohol was discouraged by law in many of the states over the first century of the United States under the Constitution. By 1855, 13 of the 31 states had temperance, or alcohol prohibition, laws. The Civil War distracted the public from the temperance movement, but the proliferation of saloons after the Civil War, and the trappings of the saloons (like gambling, prostitution, and public drunkenness) led to the so-called "Women's War" in 1873. Over time, the movement became more organized and the Anti-Saloon League was established in 1893. The ASL's goal was national prohibition, and it set up an office in Washington to that end - it even established its own publishing house in Westerville, Ohio.

The ASL polled candidates on their stand on the temperance question, endorsing candidates with a pro-temperance stance. In the election of 1915, ASL-sponsored candidates swept the elections for Congress, and on December 18, 1917, Congress passed the 18th Amendment. It quickly was adopted by the states, being ratified in just over a year, on January 16, 1919 (394 days).

but it seems that once everybody got sober and righteous, boredom set in and they felt like cuttin' loose...

Quote:
Amendment XXI - Amendment XVIII repealed. Ratified 12/5/1933. History

1. The eighteenth article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States is hereby repealed.

2. The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.

3. The article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by conventions in the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.

and the analysis;

Quote:
21st Amendment
It would be a disservice to say that the 18th Amendment was completely ineffective. It would also be a disservice to say that the 18th Amendment caused the lawlessness embodied by people like Al Capone. The 18th Amendment did reduce alcohol consumption in the United States, and it did not cause organized crime. In the Prohibition era, alcohol consumption dropped to an average of less then a gallon of alcohol per person per year, down from two and a half gallons in 1915. And organized crime existed before Prohibition, and existed after it, too.

That having been said, the Prohibition era did have a certain sense of lawlessness; the very fact that consumption was not eliminated is testimony to that; and the fact that organized crime manufactured and distributed the bulk of the illicit alcohol of the 1920's and early 1930's is evidence that gangsters were aided by Prohibition. Enforcement was spotty, with stills and speakeasies popping up in every population center. Over-zealous police and federal agents violated civil rights when searching for and destroying the paraphernalia of alcohol. While most Americans respected the law, were in favor of the law, the shine of "dry" began to wear off, especially as the Great Depression set in.

A movement began to form to repeal the 18th Amendment. Prohibition of alcohol was seen as an affront to personal liberty, pushed on the nation by religious moralists. Alcohol was also seen as a source of revenue for the local and national governments. The effort to elect "wet" legislators was as grand as that to elect "dry" ones almost two decades earlier. The Congress passed the amendment on February 20, 1933 (288 days). It mandated, for the first time, that conventions of the states were to vote on the amendment, rather than the legislatures, feeling that conventions would be more apt to vote to ratify - and they did, quickly - the ratification process was complete on December 5, 1933. The 21st Amendment repealed the 18th, the first time an amendment had been repealed by another.
0 Replies

john w k

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:47 pm
HofT wrote:
Tks, John, that was my understanding also.

Next question: federal agents actually arrived and confiscated a couple of flower pots in the home of an unfortunate user dying of cancer - which strikes me as nothing short of monstrous. What appeal, if any, is available to these ill people? New legislation? And at what level, federal or state?

One must remember at all times that the federal government created by the people is their servant and not their master. Those who are clothed with power to enforce federal legislation have taken an oath to support and defend our Constitution, and are not at liberty to ignore the four corners of the constitution when enforcing federal legislation, especially if such legislation subverts constitutional guarantees. The old saying goes___ ignorance of the law is no excuse!

If the action which you describe has taken place, and no state law was violated by the user you refer to, the first course of action was for the local police to arrest the federal agents who indeed would have had to violate various state laws such as trespassing, petty larceny, etc., during their confiscation of private property. In addition, federal charges ought to have been immediately filed against the agents under

§ 242. Deprivation of rights under color of law, and § 241. Conspiracy against rights

I would also suggest that a civil rights law suite against the specific agents ought to be filed___ see: § 1983. Civil action for deprivation of rights

But to really understand what is taking place, I suggest you study the following which is part of our history!
HOW TO TREAT UNCONSTITUTIONAL ACTS OF CONGRESS

JWK
ACRS

"The Price of Liberty is Eternal Vigilance"[/i]
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 11:37 pm
Mankind has always sought altered states of consciousness and I suspect we always will.

No amount of criminal prosecution or penalties has put an end to Mankind's quest to get high and I can't imagine that it ever will.

Medical marijuana is something of a joke.

While I have no doubt that there are a handful of individuals who actually receive some sort of therapeutic benefit from smoking marijuana, the vast majority of the people smoking dope for health reasons just want to get high.

No problem as far as I'm concerned.

The use of marijuana as well as any other drug, for purely personal enjoyment, should be legalized.

Legalize (but regulate) all drugs and a gigantic source of criminal finance will dry up, billions of dollars in tax dollars will be saved, and billions more in taxes will be gained.

Take a fair portion of this saved money and spend it on educating children about the dangers of drugs, then allow them to make an informed decision on whether or not they will use them when they become legal adults.

There is a legitimate argument that drug abuse is not truly a victimless crime, but it comes close enough, and where it begins to cross the line (e.g. driving while intoxicated) legislate and enforce severe penalties for offenders.

Based on my experience and observations (admittedly not scientific), Pot is only a gateway drug for those who suffer with addictive personalities. The sad truth is that no matter how many laws are passed these folks will find something to which they can become addicted: gambling, pornography, self-mutilation, food, etc etc etc. Outlawing all of the substances and practices to which people have become addicted will not put an end to addictive personalities and they will find new substances and new practices.

Having staked out my position on the legalization of drugs, I have to agree with the Supreme Court's ruling.

The SC did not make drugs illegal, the legislature did.

Illegal drugs are very definitely a component of some significance within the national economy. In some states, pot is high on the list of major cash crops. As futile as I believe the War on Drugs to be, the American people, through their representatives, have endorsed it and to the degree that it involves the regulation of interstate commerce (and this degree is not so slight), federal law abetting this aspect of the War, constitutionally, trumps local law.

One can only hope that the Feds will invoke this decision only when they perceive that there is significant illegal commerce taking place rather than when some poor soul wants to make his dying days a little less unpleasant by getting high.
0 Replies