The retail apocalypse

chai2

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 09:26 am
I found this interesting....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SubTropolis

Already existing space modified to suit needs

Naturally climate controlled, rent per square foot about half of what it would be on land.

Right in KC MO
BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 09:51 am
Hell over a century ago long before the internet and even home phones for the most part, Sears Catalogy allow you to shop from home by way of the post office and if you have a railroad siding near you if was possible to order all the parts to build a small home by way of a box car.

In fact such homes still exist to this very day as they was fairly well plan and built.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 09:55 am
@BillRM,
I remember an episode of MASH revolved around said catalogue. Ordering from Sears was a lot easier than getting the military to provide stuff.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 10:45 am
@farmerman,
Someone I met said the retail apocalypse is "a big turning point in history". Do you agree with this statement?
jespah

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 10:50 am
@chai2,
Oh, thanks.

For much of my career, I worked in a cube and wouldn't see the outside world unless I got up or was leaving/arriving. It honestly wouldn't have made a lick of difference if that cube was where it was or underground.

We've got a limited amount of topsoil here on Planet Earth. Seems the height of foolishness to cover it with soulless office buildings.
chai2

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 11:50 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Someone I met said the retail apocalypse is "a big turning point in history". Do you agree with this statement?

Have you been reading the posts on this thread?

It’s a turning point, and a positive one.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 11:54 am
@chai2,
How is it positive? I miss a lot of the retailers who shut down.
chai2

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 11:58 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Hell over a century ago long before the internet and even home phones for the most part, Sears Catalogy allow you to shop from home by way of the post office and if you have a railroad siding near you if was possible to order all the parts to build a small home by way of a box car.

In fact such homes still exist to this very day as they was fairly well plan and built.

And 2 or 3 thousand years ago you could tell the caravan setting out across the desert how much silk, spices and herbal remedies you’d be needing, and it would show up in a few months or a year.

Once trade began I would guess the next step was people requesting specific things
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 12:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

How is it positive? I miss a lot of the retailers who shut down.

Coming from the man who thinks everyone still use camcorders, apparantly hasn't heard of voice transcription software, and believes he should be paying 1960 prices for groceries in 2019.

Everything changes and moves on.

You can get on board, or be left at the station.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 12:41 pm
@chai2,
I fully agree with you. My point was from the POV of the Retailers that don't want to compete in an online environment, and to that matter the added value of having cultural events going on makes sense. Yes, it only works in big Malls and for those who do not have big Corporate Retailers as their main business model, those can go online. Canden Town in London comes to mind as an example for alternate small businesses...yes it is a very different kind of a Mall...also getting to stretch your legs once in a while reduces the risk of some health problems and doing so while buying stuff is energy efficient, you can forget the gym. As for the Fed Ex truck, hope it follows a good algorithm in the distribution process, I am sure it does...also responsible people can and should use public transportation.

PS - I just learned Camden Town market closed...what a loss!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 12:41 pm
@chai2,
My wife did an MFA art projwct of designing a city she called SUB-Urbia. It went many foots underground and rather than art, it became an engineering nightmare for such stuff as dooty water, grey water and heat dissipation. It involved more of a acreage saving urface with transport following along other service corridors.
it was tres cool looking.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 01:01 pm
@farmerman,
We better "git gud" at cost-efficient underground building if we want to go to Mars on a big scale. Forget the domes. Radiation is too high as you well know.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 01:09 pm
@jespah,
I have a very different vision of what a good future would entail and small businesses intertwined with arts and culture are a part of it.
It's a vision where the cities are not dead and fully automated with people living in Japanese square foot "habitacles" shopping online and missing direct human contact...I was not making the case for the traditional American super Mall.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 01:46 pm
@chai2,
When did I say everyone still uses camcorders? I said people can record videos on their smartphones and other digital devices. I said they make digital camcorders. Don't put words in my mouth.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 02:16 pm
What will happen is a mixed bag on which Big businesses will try to replace small businesses open mall areas just like they are doing with convenience stores...and they will use the formula I presented in my first post. Street theatre, music, books releases...and branding swag attached to special events. Why stick only with the mass market if you can have the small one too?
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 02:24 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

That's a neat use of the space. And I truly hate malls. Goodbye and good riddance to them.

Malls emerged as a place for people to leave their cars behind and shop on foot.

They have gradually lost ground to strip-malls, which are like malls that you can drive around to different stores instead of walking.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 02:46 pm
@livinglava,
...oh god...the American way never fails to disappoint!
livinglava

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 03:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...oh god...the American way never fails to disappoint!

. . . unlike the sarcasm in your post.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 03:58 pm
@livinglava,
You are doing retail on church Religion Online or both?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 04:04 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Don't put words in my mouth.

Well here's some words for your ears.

Read what others have said here, and the development of the subject. If you notice one of your one dimensional threads that is out of touch with reality actually turns into a productive thread, either join in the adult conversation or go draw some carto0ns while the grownups talk.

0 Replies