How sugar and sugar alcohol affect one's (bone) health

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:15 am
Hi. I am curious about how sugar and sugar alcohol affect one's health.

We know consuming sugar in excess is bad for you. Too much is bad for your teeth- that leads to tooth decay, fatigue and diabetes.

How does sugar affect the other bones in your body?

Sugar alcohol is supposedly better for you than sugar. Is too much bad for your teeth? How does it affect the other bones in your body?

How else does sugar alcohol effect one's health? According to what I read it may cause diarrhea.

I've been trying to do some research on this. Perhaps these questions are better suited for a nutritionist to answer. I do intend to ask mine when I meet with her.

Please help- thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,226 • Replies: 9
No top replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:35 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Please help- thank you.

-FIXED.
BrentFoust

Reply Fri 27 Sep, 2019 03:55 am
@JGoldman10,
There is no direct link between sugar consumption and negative impact on bones. However, consuming excessive amount of sugar and not getting adequate nutrients can affect bones.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2019 10:56 am
@JGoldman10,
You should study the topic so you know what your nutritionist is talking about and so you can make decisions about what to eat when the need arises.

The only nutritionist I have studied is Adele Davis. She says your concern about sugar is not as important as what you plan to do with good health in case you happen to acquire it.

She also offers the term "part-smart". The human body needs about forty nutrients, some in balanced amounts, to maintain health. It is good to be concerned about nutrition, but if you are only concerned about one nutrient you are approximately one fortieth part-smart.

These books are old, 1960s era, but they are still the most popular introduction to the field. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=adelle+davis&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
0 Replies

healthfreak101

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 03:57 pm
@JGoldman10,
Both are bad for you. Too much sugar can cause all sorts of health problems and alcohol can not only make you drunk but fat as well.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2019 06:28 pm
@healthfreak101,
I am talking about sugar alcohol, a sugar substitute, not alcohol. What does alcohol have to do with sugar alcohol?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2019 04:03 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Sugar alcohols are neither sugars nor alcohols. They are carbohydrates with a chemical structure that partially resembles sugar and partially resembles alcohol, but they don’t contain ethanol as alcoholic beverages do. They are incompletely absorbed and metabolized by the body, and consequently contribute fewer calories than most sugars. The commonly used sugar alcohols include sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, maltitol, maltitol syrup, lactitol, erythritol, isomalt and hydrogenated starch hydrolysates. Their calorie content ranges from zero to three calories per gram compared to four calories per gram for sucrose or other sugars. Most sugar alcohols are less sweet than sucrose; maltitol and xylitol are about as sweet as sucrose.

https://foodinsight.org/sugar-alcohols-fact-sheet/
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2019 06:44 pm
An alcohol is any chemical with -OH at the end of the molecule. The name therefore has -ol at the end. It might or might not resemble booze in some way, but usually not.
0 Replies

Mariannewhite

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2019 05:31 pm
@JGoldman10,
Sugar has dofamin - the hormone of joy. When you are depressed you need dofamine and you feel better. That's why you get used to sugar. When you for a while not eating it you became depressed and you need time to overcome it, because you brain can produce this hormone itself. And the dose is smaller. When you eat suger you get addicted to bigger doses of this hormone and can't feel emotions as they really are, they bring you less dofamine as sugar.

If to speak about not mental health - sugar is the nutrient basis for all kinds of patological bacterias that live inside us. We have friendly and nonfriendly bacteria and they synthesing vitamings etc. It's a mistake to think that the vitamines come out of food. We feed bacteria and they provide us all the elements. If we feed them the food they eat than its alright, but when we eat sugar etc. we provide with food the unfriendly bacteria and they destroy us.
Ragman

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2019 09:46 am
@Mariannewhite,
Perhaps you mean dopamine? That’s a starting point as the rest of your post is nonsense as well.
0 Replies