Pulp The Popes Papers? Or Not?

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 05:55 am
Just heard on the news that Pope John Paul had requested that his secretary destroy his papers after he died. The secretary is now refusing to do so, saying that the papers may help expedite the Popes sainthood.

I can't imagine not following through on a persons wishes, even if I thought it was for a good cause, or to the benefit of the dead person, but perhaps others see this differently.

Should the papers be destroyed? Destroyed after being used to make him a saint? Or, never destroyed at all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,125 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 06:28 am
I think that the papers of any international figure need to be kept for posterity. I am curious as to why the Pope wanted the papers destroyed. I think that the world may learn a lot by being able to understand what was really on this man's mind.

I am usually one to respect a person's wishes, but in this case, I think that historical significance trumps any personal desires.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:29 am
I was also thinking of the historical significance. What if Mathew, Mark, or Luke had made the same request?

I just can't get past that he wanted them destroyed, and they may not be. Also wondered, if it was so important to him that they be destroyed, why didn't he have that done in his last few days? Did he trust his secretary to follow through? Or, was he not as concerned about it as is being made out to be?

Surely the Vatican or the Popes secretary wouldn't be playing politics.... Right?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 08:20 am
There may be less here than meets the eye.
Those papers should not be destroyed, JP was an important international figure and a "player" in the defining event of the late 20th century, the collapse of the Soviet empire. His papers are important.
However his thinking may have been that by destroying his personal archive he gives his successor a clean slate and freedom of action.There is no precedent that can be used to limit Benedict (whatever number)'s actions.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 09:09 am
I think they were Karol's, and refusing to honor his dying wish that his own papers be destroyed is unforgivable.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 10:41 am
What are Karol's?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 11:02 am
Karol's writings. From Karol's head, Karol's pen, Karol's perspective.

Even a poor guy, who never made it big--and requests his diary is burned after his death should have his personal wishes honored.

They are the personal thoughts of a man. The man is dead. He asked that his private writings be destroyed.

It is a deep insult to keep that diary. IMO.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 08:24 pm
Oh, Okay. I had never heard the Karol's reference.

I agree. Especially since they are his personal writings.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 09:31 pm
Pope John Paul II's name was Karol.

Karol Jozef Wojtyla
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 10:07 pm
Can the leader of the Catholic church have a private life after death?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 09:34 am
I think we should all be given the privacy we desire, especially in death when we no longer are in control of what happens to our diaries or personal ritings. No matter what stature or level of importance, I think ones dying wishes should be honored as long as they don't require someone else breaking a law.

I don't know of other historical figures making this request and not having their wishes fulfilled. Does anyone have another example of this happening?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 06:00 pm
I agree completely with Squinney.

Per Noddy's point-- and there is one--a President, Pope, or person of power likely does have writings that would be quite interesting to a multitude of people--but, there are the public writings and recordings (think Nixon WH tapes), and then the private.

I think there is an important distinction between the two.

These writings of Karol's (easier to spell than his last name) are his own private thoughts. In the end, he was just a man.
0 Replies