dialogical aesthetics

JLNobody

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:13 pm
Yes, I can see that. I live in a university town. The university has an excellent music school, and my wife and I frequently attend many free concerts of the various campus orchestras and solo recitals (given by famous visiting artists, members of an excellent faculty and advanced students). So, for us, there is the pleasure of live music, but we still depend for everyday enjoyment on the NPR radio station and our collection of CDs. A problem seems to be that few students (including music students) attend the recitals and concerts. They seem to be attended mainly by older people (blue hairs) with European backgrounds. That does not augur well for the decades to come.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:00 pm
Yes, I can see that. I live in a university town. The university has an excellent music school, and my wife and I frequently attend many free concerts of the various campus orchestras and solo recitals (given by famous visiting artists, members of an excellent faculty and advanced students). So, for us, there is the pleasure of live music, but we still depend for everyday enjoyment on the NPR radio station and our collection of CDs. A problem seems to be that few students (including music students) attend the recitals and concerts. They seem to be attended mainly by older people (blue hairs) with European backgrounds. That does not augur well for the decades to come.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:03 pm
OOPS!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:13 pm
doublelogical aesthetics, revisited...

I'm still reading, and packing.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:28 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

xprmntr2

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:33 pm
The "littoral" area, huh? Fasssscinating....I'd say imagination is just such a littoral area. :wink:
0 Replies

art liker

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:09 pm
dialogue and public art
It's been a while...

Originally, I brought up the arguably obscure concept of littoral art in Kester's essay, and the role of dialogue in art: dialogical aesthetics, and since then I've become more interested in dialogue as it applies to public art. I wonder what you all think about the fact that much public art is created for "us," the "public," without having so much as a conversation with us in the first place. There are projects (not many though) that are based on community-involvement, and dialogue, and then there is all the other stuff that just looks beautiful or interesting, or just plain ugly, and serves no one but the small group of real estate or government professionals that initialized the project to begin with. Are there many of you out there that value public art as a participatory process aimed at animating democracy, where dialogue with specific, and often conflicting, communities is necessary?

For what it's worth, if any of you are interested, I just started my own discussion group on art:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/contemporary_art_theory/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 04:58 pm
Yes, I'm interested in that as a subject.

I'll check in there.
0 Replies