one sentense from Clinton's article.

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 12:27 am
Aimless, day-to-day management, busy inertia, preoccupied drift, and high-minded indecision mark too many presidencies, because incumbents set no goals. The first and greatest task of a president is to articulate the vision, champion the goals, and. enunciate the objectives.

What's "preoccupied drift" and "high-minded indecision" , can you kindly make an example?
And I have no idea of the "articulate the vision", "champion the goals" and "enunciate the objectives" also. Are they relative to some presidential management works?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 708 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 01:48 am
The writer is being a little too critical in order to make his point. Preoccupied drift, and high-minded indecision are two phrases newly coined, invented by the author, to mean being inattentive to the business at hand.

In the writer's opinion, because the Presidency is of a limited time, the office occupier needs to stay focused on the job: articulate the vision (say what are the ideas of his administration), champion the goals (fight the political fights for those ideas) and enunciate the objectives (speak clearly about what the administration wants to get done.)

Joe(words are either lens or masks)Nation
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:14 am
I will add that these phrases are called "oxymorons"--the joining of two (typically) seemingly contradictory words to express a truth or produce some rhetorical effect. An example of an oxymoron that expresses a truth is "eloquent silence", whose use would be meant to describe the effectiveness of silence in communicating a message.

In this case, the writer does not believe that these phrases describe a truth, rather that they will dramatically point out the illusion being projected by certain presidencies; the appearance of being busy, yet getting nothing done; of being attentive, yet drifting aimlessly; and of being intellectually or morally thoughtful, yet unable to make a decision.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:10 am
Excellent observations, Valpower, and an excellent example given.

Joe
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 07:33 am
Valpower wrote:
I will add that these phrases are called "oxymorons"--the joining of two (typically) seemingly contradictory words to express a truth or produce some rhetorical effect. An example of an oxymoron that expresses a truth is "eloquent silence", whose use would be meant to describe the effectiveness of silence in communicating a message.

In this case, the writer does not believe that these phrases describe a truth, rather that they will dramatically point out the illusion being projected by certain presidencies; the appearance of being busy, yet getting nothing done; of being attentive, yet drifting aimlessly; and of being intellectually or morally thoughtful, yet unable to make a decision.

Accurate, you give me more than I have expected. Thank you.
0 Replies