Tomorrow, June 3rd is national Donut Day

hamburger

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2005 05:50 pm
c.i. : pretty well all the grocery stores in our little city sell omega 3 eggs, and have for several years. the omega 3 eggs are somewhat more expensive than regular eggs; i think a dozen is about can$ 2.20 - just checked with mrs h.
i remember growing up in germany that relatives that had come from the east (silesia) had flaxseed oil as part of their regular breakfast; they'd dip their bread into the oil much like nort-americans dunk their donuts.
i'll see what i can find out on the german google site.
HOORAY FOR FLAXSEED !
(even ehbeth, who is a bit of a fussy eater, usually has some ground and toasted flaxseed when she comes to visit. i've also noticed that some dogfoods contain flaxseed; so it must be good !). hbg
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 05:41 pm
Well, here it is again, National Donut Day.

Donuts,

they are my forbidden fruit

they should be called:

'Do nots'
roger

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 07:12 pm
@jjorge,
I always thought they should be spelled doughnuts. That created a modest tempest in Abuzz, though you probably didn't notice.
jjorge

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 08:35 pm
@roger,
"...The first known printed use of donut was in Peck's Bad Boy and his Pa by George W. Peck, published in 1900, in which a character is quoted as saying, "Pa said he guessed he hadn't got much appetite, and he would just drink a cup of coffee and eat a donut."[7] The donut spelling also showed up in a Los Angeles Times article dated August 10, 1929... The interchangeability of the two spellings can be found in a series of "National Donut Week" articles in The New York Times that covered the 1939 World's Fair. In four articles beginning October 9, two mention the donut spelling. Dunkin' Donuts, which was founded in 1948 under the name Open Kettle (Quincy, Massachusetts), is the oldest surviving company to use the donut variation..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 08:38 pm
@roger,
Whatever the spelling may be, they are for me, a seductive 'forbidden fruit'!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 05:26 pm
I'm shocked that no one mentioned that today is National Doughnut Day. For shame a2k! For shame!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 05:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
I read a short blurb this morning that that was all a rook...
Well, here's one link.
http://www.boston.com/business/news/2014/06/06/the-dunkin-donuts-national-donut-day-promotion-lie/WsJFbIUp6sy1q7Wf3osS2L/story.html
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 11:39 am
@ossobuco,
All I know is that my coworker brought in a dozen donuts Friday morning and informed us it was National Donut Day. Razz

Which Donut Are You?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/dunkindonuts/which-donut-are-you

Quote:
You got: Cruller
Dunkin' Donuts
You prefer the finer things. Pop culture? No. Thanks. You enjoy culture and expanding your horizons. Snobby? You prefer “sophisticated.”
farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 01:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
I was a bit away but I bought several Timmy Horton Mapley Sugary glazed- over donuts and we polished em off while driving a boat. WHAT A BUZZ.
0 Replies