What has happened to common sense?

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:43 pm
parados wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
parados wrote:

That wasn't the situation I proposed... "Common sense" tells me if a boat is capsized and not sinking then it isn't sinking.

Changing the situation changes the most valid response but it doesn't make the response "common sense" that should apply to everyone. It appears that you don't like my simple response to a problem so make stuff up to make it not apply. I see already why "common sense" is gone from your world.

So you accuse me of lacking common sense? LMFAO. Perhaps my greatest lapse is posting here.

I see you violating the very standard you claim should apply, a simple solution should be accepted. Yet when I presented you with a scenario you refuse to accept the simple solutions but argue that the situation should be changed. Doesn't that equate to lacking common sense as you stated in your first post?

I'll bite. Common sense would tell me, the swimmer, that I probably shouldn't leave the non-swimmer alone to drown on the capsized boat.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:46 pm
I think you're missing the point, CJ. A capsized boat is not necessarily a locus for drowning. If the non-swimmer drowns, it would likely be because they could no longer hold onto the boat. Common sense might also suggest that you strike out for shore to get help for anyone out there in the water.

Which, of course, is the point. "Common sense" does not in fact exist as an absolute, it is completely subjective.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:48 pm
Do you drive at high rates of speed into darkened parking garages where people might be walking?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:50 pm
No, but that does not in any way alter the statement that common sense is subjective. Others might not agree with you, and no amount of an appeal to common sense will lead them to agree. They might well counter that they have their headlights on, and common sense would tell the pedestrians to be on the look-out for headlights.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:52 pm
Those are probably the same people who believe you can't kill anyone with a blank.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:53 pm
Who cares, CJ? I see you've brought the subject back to your personal bĂȘte noire, firearms . . . i also note that you are unwilling to discuss the possibility that a person as sane, reasonable and as decent as you might have a slightly different, or even a totally different, conception of what constitutes common sense.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:56 pm
Sure, and I hope I never have to ride shotgun with them either, if I may use the "bĂȘte noire" pun.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:00 pm
All puns are always welcome in these fora. So, are you reconciled to the notion that others may have an entirely different idea of what constitutes common sense?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:02 pm
Yes as long as it is a logical response.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:04 pm
cjhsa wrote:

I'll bite. Common sense would tell me, the swimmer, that I probably shouldn't leave the non-swimmer alone to drown on the capsized boat.

I never said that both a swimmer and a non swimmer where on the same boat. I suggested a sitution that in one instance had a swimmer and in the other instance had a non-swimmer and pointed out the common sense response changed based on the person invovled. Continuing to change the situation after the fact doesn't change the "common sense" responses in my original scenario.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:05 pm
So I misread it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:09 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Yes as long as it is a logical response.

Here we go again . . . logic, believe it or not, can be subjective, as well. That is the point people here are trying to make to you.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 05:10 pm
So that leads us to....
Is a simple solution really common sense if it isn't logical?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:51 pm
cjhsa wrote:
So I misread it.

Common sense would dictate that we proofread before we answer. Lest we appear the fool.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:16 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Detroit elects a mayor.

Kwame Kilpatrick, what a joke.
0 Replies

Zane

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:44 pm
<cjhsa, you're one angsty brother>

cjhsa:
RANT

cjhsa:
RANT

cjhsa:
RANT

cjhsa:
RANT

cjhsa:
RANT

cjhsa:
RANT

cjhsa:
RANT

cjhsa:
RANT

Syn quotes "Network"

Synonymph wrote:
cjhsa as Howard Beale:

' I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out, and yell, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" I want you to get up right now. Get up. Go to your windows, open your windows, and stick your head out, and yell, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Things have got to change my friends. You've got to get mad. You've got to say, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open your window, stick your head out and yell, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" '

Gotta love Lady Syn.
0 Replies

val

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 02:00 am
Re: What has happened to common sense?
cjhsa

Aristotle's Physics was the science of common sense.
The earth being the center of the universe was common sense.
Jews as the responsible for the economical crisis was common sense in German in 1933. That is why Hitler was elected.
Women being inferior to men was common sense until the 20th century.
Blacks as inferior to the whites, was pure common sense until the 20th century.
Today, in many islamic countries, it is common sense to consider US as the evil.

Since I don't accept any of the statements above, I think you are right. I have no common sense.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:03 am
Intrepid wrote:
[
Common sense would dictate that we proofread before we answer. Lest we appear the fool.

Common sense would dictate that before you call someone a fool you move out of Canada.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:07 am
cjhsa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
[

Common sense would dictate that before you call someone a fool you move out of Canada.

First....I did not call you a fool.

Second....As usual, when you are at a loss to produce something of any value, you attack the poster.

Third....This thread is about common sense and I responded to something that had to do with common sense. Do you want to discuss common sense or do you not?

Fourth....Your reply does not make any sense at all. Common or otherwise!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:44 am
I didn't attack the poster. I attacked Canada. Smile

If you take back Granholm, can I sent Kwame along with her?

(Michigan governor (Canadian) and Detroit mayor, two of the most clueless twits ever elected to public office).
0 Replies