What has happened to common sense?

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:57 pm
I'm not confusing anything. I am not the confused one.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:59 pm
After reading about 20 of the responses I have come to the conclusion this is supposed to be Steinfeld posting. Much ado about nothing.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:12 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Synonymph wrote:
Could you be more specific? Which topics are you referring to?

Just about every topic addressing any even mildly controversial subject.

Try it. Post something like "You should brush your teeth this way". I cannot even predict the responses, though I could guess.

I really doubt that anyone would respond to "you should brush your teeth this way" with equations or anything analogous. Seems like you have some aversion to laying out what you really have in mind here. Your topic statement is a bit too vague to respond to very well.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:21 pm
Re: What has happened to common sense?
cjhsa wrote:
It seems to be a lost art form, at least here on A2K.

Every day here I see "intellectuals" who try to apply overly complex equations to solve all the worlds problems. I hate to tell you this, but your logical equivalent of a quadriatic equation topped off with a Fourier transform isn't always the best approach.

Then you insult people who provide simple, elegant solutions.

I am curious as to what simple solution is going to solve the world's problems. Whatever that solution is would certainly not be common sense otherwise the world wouldn't have problems that need to be solved.

"Common sense" really has little meaning, it often isn't common and many times doesn't make much sense. One man's common sense can be another man's idiocy. Say a boat is capsized and you are 100 yards from shore. Common sense for one person might be to swim to shore but for someone that can't swim common sense would be to cling to the capsized boat until rescued.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:22 pm
Ok, so now the boat is sinking.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:26 pm
A town I love has artesian wells scattered in its midst. The drinking fountains along the streets run continously year round with ultrapure 36 degree H2O. Yet the store next to the fountain sells bottled water for $1.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:29 pm
A local park in a mostly rural city in NY State is overrun with deer after hunting is outlawed. After much debate, sharpshooters are brought in to thin the herd.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:30 pm
Detroit elects a mayor.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:34 pm
Toyota and Honda and Ford sell hybyrid vehicles that cost about $4K more than their non-hybrid version. A cost analysis reveals that it will take 10 years of driving at 15,000 miles per year with gas costing $3 or more to make up the extra cost. Americans typically only keep their cars 8 years at most.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:34 pm
Quote:
I really doubt that anyone would respond to "you should brush your teeth this way" with equations or anything analogous.

Dental researchers would. And that's one of the reasons I will have my own teeth when I'm 70 when my grandparents did not.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:36 pm
At a kids soccer game, a coach is beaten unconcious by coaches and parents from the opposing team.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:37 pm
Illegal aliens are treated like citizens and allowed to close down our hospitals and schools due to cost overruns.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:45 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Illegal aliens are treated like citizens and allowed to close down our hospitals and schools due to cost overruns.

That's funny. To some, common sense means that you treat people in need. To some, it means you watch the bottom line.

Whose damn common sense is worthwhile?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:46 pm
What part of "illegal" don't you understand? What about the citizens who were served by those institutions?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:48 pm
Fine, cj. You go down to the hospital and shut the doors yourself.
0 Replies

au1929

Armstrong Threatens to Sue Ohio Barber

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Apollo moon mission astronaut Neil Armstrong has threatened to sue a barbershop owner who sold the spaceman's hair trimmings for $3,000. The buyer said Wednesday he won't return the locks but will donate the purchase price to charity.

Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, used to go to Marx's Barber Shop in Lebanon about once a month for a cut. That stopped when he learned that owner Marx Sizemore had collected his hair clippings from the floor and sold them in May 2004 for $3,000.
0 Replies

parados

cjhsa wrote:
Toyota and Honda and Ford sell hybyrid vehicles that cost about $4K more than their non-hybrid version. A cost analysis reveals that it will take 10 years of driving at 15,000 miles per year with gas costing $3 or more to make up the extra cost. Americans typically only keep their cars 8 years at most.

Who is using equations to provide their answers?
0 Replies

cjhsa

PD, you failed to address my second question in my previous post.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:50 pm
cjhsa as Howard Beale:

' I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out, and yell, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" I want you to get up right now. Get up. Go to your windows, open your windows, and stick your head out, and yell, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Things have got to change my friends. You've got to get mad. You've got to say, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open your window, stick your head out and yell, "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!" '
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:51 pm
I can't read that much at one go.

Yes, what about 'em? Looks like CA's got to figure out where it's bread is buttered, don't it? I wonder what happens if you could wave a magic wand and keep all illegals out of the state? Does common sense tell you whether the net economic impact would be positive or negative?
0 Replies