Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,703 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 06:45 am
so what's your point? I agree with him.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:01 am
I agree too. Years ago, someone said that the way to create a crime wave was to have the newspapers print was was normally on page 14, on page one.

I think that the media is much too focused on the miscreants in our society, and less on the really important news. I also believe that when there is not a lot of spectacular news going around, the media will play up the much less important, but tittillating stuff. I call it, the "Jerry Springerizing" of society.

Personally, I don't the trend is healthy, especially for young people.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 07:08 am
It pains me to agree with Ted Turner, but I fear he's right; and CNN does not stand alone with this failure.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:34 am
One of the women in our office calls most "news channels" - dead baby tv.

She's right.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:37 am
I agree as well - although it seems that the European CNN channels differ from the US version since they cover quite a lot of international news and environmental topics.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:43 am
Unfortunately news channels need to compete for viewership. Seems the viewers feed off reality TV trash.
Hardly anyone wants real news anymore, especially when you could watch some transsexual get plastic surgery in order to look like J-Lo.
Dead baby TV, Train wreck TV....it's all going downhill.
IMO, no one can reverse it because they all need to bow to the almighty dollar.

No viewers=no money...so let's up the ante and show the beheadings, the bodies of rape victims, the gunshot exit wounds.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:44 am
Lowest common denominator, same as our elections.

Catering to the masses sure brings about mediocrity quickly, doesn't it?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 10:46 am
Yup.
Instead of trying to elevate the consciousness of the American people, they bring the news right down to their level.
An extremely low level at that.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 11:31 am
I think maybe the trouble started with having it on twenty four hours a day. They had fill up the hours and I guess it drifted more into entertainment after a while because that is what tuned people in. I remember when O.J.Simpson was on trial, there wasn't a soul in America hardly who wasn't glued to the TV. I think that pretty much set the tone for the TV news after that and CNN and was right out there with the rest of them, in fact in the lead.

I have completely quit watching any and all TV news after the last election and I haven't seemed to missed out on much that I can't catch up on the internet.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 01:17 am
if it bleeds, it leads.

especially if it distracts from the really important stuff.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:05 am
Yeah, the news media has decided to give the people what they want instead of what they need.

It's like they can't help themselves...every time they do a self examination as they did after the Gary Condit story and decide 'hey, we're too much like reality TV'...they just do it again....and again....and again....
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 06:19 am
Give them what they want and what sells. The big news of the day is the Jackson trial or the antics of Paris Hilton not the war and casualties in Iraq.
Could it be that most people are closet voyeurs.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 03:54 pm
Let's just hope the Jackson verdict comes quickly, to spare us 24/7 coverage of speculation about every conceivable consequence of the decision.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 04:03 pm
I sure the media will find some other 'very important" newsworthy item to replace it.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 04:04 pm
Exactly, but I hear about Iraq casualties every time I turn on the TV or radio. It's just maybe the important stuff gets overshadowed sometimes by the nonsense.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:13 pm
Brand X wrote:
Yeah, the news media has decided to give the people what they want instead of what they need.

Dangerous territory there Mr. X. Who gets to decide what we need?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:19 pm
kirsten wrote:
Brand X wrote:

True dat.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:26 pm
Brand X wrote:
kirsten wrote:
Brand X wrote:

True dat.

Laughing I for sure don't want it to be Ted Turmer, though I agree with his point!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:46 pm
kirsten wrote:
Brand X wrote:
kirsten wrote:
Brand X wrote:

True dat.

Laughing I for sure don't want it to be Ted Turmer, though I agree with his point!

The fact is....someone is already deciding what we get anyway.
0 Replies