Karla Homolka to be released July 5th

gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 07:52 pm
Intrepid wrote:

I would just like to point out to Gungasnake (I am sure that intelligent people already realize this) that Paul Bernardo did not harm any of the 17 people he raped during his spree.

And so, you don't see raping somebody as harming them?

Any of the feminists here want to take a shot at setting this guy straight?

From what I read, it does not sound like Karla Homolka had been raping young boys and girls, and then met and married Bernardo, and somehow or other managed to manipulate HIM into assisting in her nefarious schemes to kidnap and rape and murder more children...

One other thing I notice is that, unlike Bernardo, Homolka has just spent the last 12 years in a general prison population. If she were actually too much of an a$$hole to be around, all of those female father rapers and mother stabbers and litterers and what not have just had twelve years in which to croak her, and they would have.

The basic bottom line in the case of Karla Homolka is that you had a girl who at seventeen years of age had never committed any sort of crime or hurt anybody or anything, and then she fell into a meatgrinder with a bonafide 4real psychopath. What actually happened appears to be a case of brainwashing similar to that of Patty Hearst:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1428431#1428431
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 08:49 pm
gungasnake wrote:
And so, you don't see raping somebody as harming them?

Any of the feminists here want to take a shot at setting this guy straight?

Don't be so bloody facetious! You know darn well what he meant. You're trying to twist his words.

It's become patently obvious to anyone who's been reading this thread that you love to play the controversial role of taking the opposing view to this issue.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:00 pm
It seems that Gungasnake's inability, or refusal to hold a reasonable exchange of ideas is beyond my comprehension. Picking and choosing words to make an arguement is something that a child would do. Mature, intelligent people can see through the thinly veiled attempts at being on the oppossing end of whatever is writen. One would think that Gungasnake had an unhealthy fixation with Karla Homolka as they read through his many glowing and warmhearted descriptions of her.

Regardless of what Gungasnake thinks....the facts are there and Gunga has not provided anything except speculation and insults to Canada, the Canadian people and the Canadian judicial system. Fortunately, Gungas comments are of no consequence.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:17 pm
Intrepid wrote:
It seems that Gungasnake's inability, or refusal to hold a reasonable exchange of ideas is beyond my comprehension. Picking and choosing words to make an arguement is something that a child would do. Mature, intelligent people can see through the thinly veiled attempts at being on the oppossing end of whatever is writen. One would think that Gungasnake had an unhealthy fixation with Karla Homolka as they read through his many glowing and warmhearted descriptions of her.

I don't date women under about 5-9, and Homolka's about 5-0.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:41 pm
I give up before I need therapy.

BTW Gunga...you should do more research. She is more like 5'6" than 5'.
5' 9" huh. You want somebody to look up to?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:59 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I give up before I need therapy.

BTW Gunga...you should do more research. She is more like 5'6" than 5'.
5' 9" huh. You want somebody to look up to?

Closest thing I've ever seen in pictures to my ideal woman would be the old pictures of Katie Sandwina:

http://www.fscclub.com/history/images/circus-sandwina2.jpg

About 6-1, 225 or thereabouts. You wouldn't figure one of the strongest women who ever lived would be that pretty... Her I could almost look directly across at; 5-9 I'm still looking down at a little bit more than I like to.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 07:29 am
Prison guards stage protest outside prison as Homolka gets ready for release
at 8:02 on July 4, 2005, EST.

STE-ANNE-DES-PLAINES, Que. (CP) - About 30 prison guards held an early-morning protest outside Karla Homolka's penitentiary on Monday, disrupting traffic in and out of the sprawling building.

The guards, who have been without a contract since 2002, couldn't have picked a better day for some publicity, with the convicted killer to be released during Monday business hours. After several days of dwindling media interest, reporters and television crews arrived in force hoping to witness Homolka's release after her 12 years in prison for manslaughter in the sex slayings of two Ontario schoolgirls.

About 60 reporters congregated outside the Ste-Anne-des-Plaines penitentiary, while six satellite trucks and numerous cars made the area look like a huge parking lot.

Few vehicles left the penitentiary during the night, in marked contrast to nights past.

An ambulance's frantic exit from the prison before midnight Monday had reporters staking out the scene believing Homolka may have been released.

But a Correctional Service Canada spokeswoman confirmed Homolka wasn't the patient being rushed out of the prison north of Montreal.

Homolka was jailed in 1993 for her role in the deaths of Ontario schoolgirls Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy, as well as the drug-rape death in 1990 of her 15-year-old sister Tammy.

The Canadian public's palpable hatred for Homolka reached a boiling point in 1993, when she agreed to plead guilty to two counts of manslaughter and serve just 12 years in exchange for her testimony against ex-husband Paul Bernardo, who was convicted of two counts of first-degree murder.

In sentencing Homolka, the court also took into consideration her role in the death of Tammy Homolka, who died on Christmas Eve after Homolka held a drug-soaked cloth over her face so Bernardo could rape her.

Homolka portrayed herself to authorities as a victim and a timorous, abused wife forced by the monster she'd married to aid and abet his abhorrent sex-slave schemes, including the kidnapping, rape and torture of French and Mahaffy.

But ghastly videotapes documenting the couple's crimes, which were shown to jurors at Bernardo's 1995 trial, depicted Homolka more as an accomplice than a victim, prompting angry critics to accuse Crown authorities of making a "deal with the devil."

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:19 pm
Homolka's release sparks whirlwind of emotions in killer's hometown
at 17:32 on July 4, 2005, EST.
TARA BRAUTIGAM

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. (CP) - Rage, sorrow and grudging acceptance were expressed by residents in the lakeside hometown of Canada's most notorious female killer as Karla Homolka was freed from a Quebec prison Monday and slipped back into public life.

In St. Catharines, where all of Homolka's shocking crimes were committed, a handful of people at a local laundromat stood in stunned silence as a television reported news of her release.

"Dear God, hell," was all Ann Pettay, 65, could say as she folded blankets with her husband, Karl.

No one answered the door at the Homolka family household, but a woman could be seen sitting on a lawn chair in the backyard near a swimming pool, her head down.

Neighbours watched from windows and driveways to see a growing hive of media activity. One was highly protective.

"Leave them alone," said a next-door neighbour while tending to his garden, before swearing at and threatening a pair of reporters.

Some residents of this city of 130,000 on the southern shore of Lake Ontario simply shook their heads, fuming that this day should never have come.

"Frankly, I hope that someone does get her - she's a sick puppy," said Sarah Learn, a 25-year-old bartender in the city's downtown area.

"I don't usually wish death upon people, but some people deserve it."

Said retiree Mollie Lavelle: "I guess she served her sentence. Now she'll have to serve it outside, won't she?"

"I don't think it'll be easy for her, but that's what you do. If you live by the sword, you will die by it."

Others hoped the completion of Homolka's punishment would finally allow the community to move past the memories of her crimes.

"I think she served her time," said Kevin Clatney, sitting near a downtown library. "She served every day and she's done her penance."

"What else can she do?"

The city's hatred for Homolka reached a zenith in 1993, when she agreed to plead guilty to two counts of manslaughter and serve just 12 years in exchange for her testimony against ex-husband Paul Bernardo, who was ultimately convicted of two counts of first-degree murder.

In sentencing Homolka, the court also took into consideration her role in the 1990 death of her 15-year-old sister Tammy, who died on Christmas Eve after Homolka held a drug-soaked cloth over her face so Bernardo could rape her in their picturesque St. Catharines home.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:22 pm
Did you hear any of the Radio Canada interview she did, Intrepid and Reyn?
Interesting that she chose to only do an interview in French.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:22 pm
Anguish hits 'like brick in head' for victims' families as Homolka released
at 17:43 on July 4, 2005, EST.
COLIN PERKEL

TORONTO (CP) - In the end, nothing could have prepared them for word that their daughters' killer was free.

Despite having known for 12 years that the day would come, despite every effort to steel themselves, the release of Karla Homolka still hit the parents of schoolgirls Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy like "a brick in the head," their lawyer said Monday.

"When I communicated the news to them that Karla Homolka had been released, there was this dead silence and you could just feel the pain and the anguish and the heartbreak over the telephone," Danson told The Canadian Press.

"The silence lasted for quite some time."

Danson said both the French and Mahaffy families had believed they were prepared emotionally and mentally for the inevitable - the day Homolka's manslaughter sentence was finally done.

But that belief was washed away by a wave of raw grief as the reality that Homolka was no longer behind bars dawned on them.

"When it was actually real as opposed to about to happen, it just resonated in them in terms of the enormous loss that they've experienced," said Danson.

Reached at home in St. Catharines, Ont., Kristen's dad refused to comment on Homolka's release.

"I'm not answering any questions," said a subdued Doug French. "You'll have to talk to our lawyer."

Danson said the families told him that they themselves were "shocked" at how hard the news hit them.

"All they're doing is thinking of their children, Kristen and Leslie," Danson said.

"They just have the sense that there's been an egregious miscarriage of justice, that someone like Homolka could be walking free when their daughters will never see freedom."

Having served to the very last day of her sentence, Homolka slipped out of the Montreal-area prison to destinations unknown as reporters and photographers hustled to get a glimpse of a person who is likely the country's most reviled former inmate.

Danson said he didn't know where she was headed beyond public knowledge that she would try to make her home in Montreal.

Nor did he expect to be told, saying what was important was that authorities knew where she was and could keep her under surveillance

Homolka, who says she fears for her life outside the safety of the prison walls, appeared to have largely succeeded in getting released in relative obscurity.

"They knew the media was there and through Corrections and I guess the security people, they designed a release that would accomplish that result, so I'm not surprised," said Danson.

"That's what their intent was and they achieved it."

Even for the long-time lawyer, the pain that Homolka's ride to freedom brought with it was intense.

"It's awful," he said.

COLIN PERKEL

TORONTO (CP) - In the end, nothing could have prepared them for word that their daughters' killer was free.

Despite having known for 12 years that the day would come, despite every effort to steel themselves, the release of Karla Homolka still hit the parents of schoolgirls Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy like "a brick in the head," their lawyer said Monday.

"When I communicated the news to them that Karla Homolka had been released, there was this dead silence and you could just feel the pain and the anguish and the heartbreak over the telephone," Danson told The Canadian Press.

Danson said both the French and Mahaffy families had believed they were prepared emotionally and mentally for the inevitable - the day Homolka's manslaughter sentence was finally done.

But that belief was washed away by a wave of raw grief as the reality that Homolka was no longer behind bars dawned on them.

"When it was actually real as opposed to about to happen, it just resonated in them in terms of the enormous loss that they've experienced," said Danson.

Reached at home in St. Catharines, Ont., Kristen's dad refused to comment on Homolka's release.

"I'm not answering any questions," said a subdued Doug French. "You'll have to talk to our lawyer."

Danson said the families told him that they themselves were "shocked" at how hard the news hit them.

"All they're doing is thinking of their children, Kristen and Leslie," Danson said.

"They just have the sense that there's been an egregious miscarriage of justice, that someone like Homolka could be walking free when their daughters will never see freedom."

Having served to the very last day of her sentence, Homolka slipped out of the Montreal-area prison to destinations unknown as reporters and photographers hustled to get a glimpse of a person who is likely the country's most reviled former inmate.

Danson said he didn't know where she was headed beyond public knowledge that she would try to make her home in Montreal.

Nor did he expect to be told, saying what was important was that authorities knew where she was and could keep her under surveillance

Homolka, who says she fears for her life outside the safety of the prison walls, appeared to have largely succeeded in getting released in relative obscurity.

"They knew the media was there and through Corrections and I guess the security people, they designed a release that would accomplish that result, so I'm not surprised," said Danson.

Even for the long-time lawyer, the pain that Homolka's ride to freedom brought with it was intense.

"It's awful," he said.

COLIN PERKEL

"It's awful," he said.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:24 pm
Karla Homolka says she's not dangerous and doesn't want to be hunted down
at 18:07 on July 4, 2005, EST.
GREG BONNELL AND LES PERREAUX

MONTREAL (CP) - A contrite Karla Homolka says she can't forgive herself for her past crimes and is pleading with the public to realize she is not a dangerous woman.
"I don't want to be hunted down," Homolka told a French radio station, after her release from prison on Monday. "I don't want people to think I am dangerous and I'm going to do something to their children."

Speaking in slightly accented French, Homolka said in the interview, to be broadcast later Monday, that "often I cry."

"I'm unable to forgive myself. I think of what I've done and then often I think I don't deserve to be happy because of this," said Homolka, 35, who appeared drawn and tired.

Homolka, the notorious ex-wife of convicted serial rapist and killer Paul Bernardo, was whisked quietly away from the Ste-Anne-des-Plaines prison north of Montreal earlier Monday afternoon after serving her entire 12-year sentence for manslaughter in the sex slayings of two Ontario teenagers.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:24 pm
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/07/04/homolka-monday050704.html

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/pix/homolka_karla_src050704.jpg

CBC News

Karla Homolka has been released from a prison north of Montreal and says she wants a new life after finishing a 12-year sentence for her role in killing two Ontario teenagers.

In an exclusive interview with SRC, the French-language service of the CBC, Homolka said she is still haunted by the murders. "I cry a lot," she said, speaking in French, "I can't bring myself to forgive myself, I think about what I did and often I think that I don't deserve to be happy because of that."

She goes on to say she decided "with my lawyers that this [giving an interview] is the best thing to do because I do not want to be hunted down. I don't want people to think that I am someone dangerous who will do something to their children."

She was spirited past squads of reporters and photographers outside the prison without being seen. Her release was confirmed on Monday afternoon by the Correctional Service of Canada and a lawyer representing the families of her victims.

Corrections officials didn't say how she was whisked away, leaving outsiders to guess which of many vehicles that left the prison she might have been in.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:30 pm
CBC story above continued.....

"As of today, Karla Teale/Homolka is no longer under the jurisdiction of the Correctional Service of Canada," the agency said in a brief written statement. "In collaboration with our partners in the criminal justice system, the Correctional Service of Canada has released Karla Teale/Homolka."

Legally, Homolka had to be freed by midnight. Officials with Corrections Canada had said police officers would escort her down the long, straight driveway leading from the minimum-security Ste-Anne-des-Plaines Institution by sunset.

Camera crews had been lining the end of that road since June 30, the first day the 35-year-old could have been released under Corrections Canada policy.

She is expected to try to disappear somewhere in the Montreal area, perhaps changing her appearance by cutting and dyeing her long blond hair.

Request for media ban rejected

In advance of her release, lawyers acting on Homolka's behalf appeared in a Montreal court Monday to ask once more for a ban on media coverage of her whereabouts and activities.

A similar request was denied late last week, but the lawyers said they had new evidence to present to suggest Homolka's life will be in danger if journalists are allowed to report where she is living and what she looks like.

Lawyers for news organizations said they should be allowed to cross-examine Homolka on the validity of her fears. The judge again refused to restrict the coverage, at least for now.

Homolka and her ex-husband, Paul Bernardo, kidnapped, tortured, raped and murdered Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s.

Homolka co-operated with prosecutors to help them convict Bernardo, who was at first thought to have forced his wife into helping him commit the crimes.

Videotapes that later surfaced in the couple's home in St. Catharines, Ont., showed her to be have been a willing partner, however.

They also revealed that Homolka twice gave drugs to her younger sister Tammy, 15, so that Bernardo could rape her. The teenager choked on her own vomit and died after the second assault, two days before Christmas in 1990.

The new evidence led Homolka's plea-bargain deal on manslaughter charges to be called, "The Deal with the Devil."

With prison and Crown officials warning that she is at a risk to commit other crimes after her release, a Quebec judge put strict restrictions on her future freedom during a court hearing in June.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 05:41 pm
She didn't have to show anybody what she now looks like. I seriously doubt any more than one out of a thousand people would have recognized her from earlier pictures or memories.
That would be using age as a disguise the same way Carlos Hathcock spoke of using distance as a silencer (for sniper rifles).

Sounds to me like a straight up attempt to level with the Canadian people.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:44 pm
or another attempt to keep in the spotlight. Or, or.... speculation, speculation, speculation. Maybe she can come and live at your house gunga.

Quote:

Could you please explain what this means? Level with the Candian people?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:52 pm
Intrepid wrote:
or another attempt to keep in the spotlight. Or, or.... speculation, speculation, speculation. Maybe she can come and live at your house gunga.

Quote:

Here:

http://www.canada.com/national/features/homolka/story.html?id=122ea497-5633-4f02-8a66-21caf98bf854
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 11:04 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Quote:

Here:

http://www.canada.com/national/features/homolka/story.html?id=122ea497-5633-4f02-8a66-21caf98bf854

You didn't answer my question. Level with the Canadian people about what? All she has said here is that she did not want to be hounded...that is why she had the interview. Not once has she showed remorse or said that she is sorry. Nothing more than a pathetic attempt for sympathy. It wasn't even her idea...it was her lawyer.

Well, at least you have a picture of her to post on your wall.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 03:54 am
Intrepid wrote:

You didn't answer my question. Level with the Canadian people about what? All she has said here is that she did not want to be hounded...that is why she had the interview. Not once has she showed remorse or said that she is sorry.

Sounds like a reading comprehension problem...

Quote:

Napier: You said a few minutes ago that you will always have to live with what you did. Do you feel any remorse?

Homolka: Yes.

Napier: How does it manifest itself, that remorse?

Homolka: I cry often. I can't forgive myself. I think about what I did and often I think I don't deserve to be happy because of what I did.

Napier: How do you judge now what you did? When you think about it, how do you judge yourself?

Homolka: What I did was terrible and I was in a situation where I was unable to see clearly, where I was unable to ask for help. Where I was completely overwhelmed in my life and I regret it enormously because now I know I had the power to stop all of that. But when I was living through it, I thought I had no power.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 04:57 am
Where does she say she is sorry. She is only sorry that she got caught. Did you see the interview? Do you realize that the interview was entirely in French? Did you see the giggles and the stupid answers?

She is trying to make it sound like she was the victim. I go back to my earlier post where I indicated that Paul Bernardo did terrible rapes, but did not kill anybody. The 3 (known) that Karla was involved in died. You are indeed in the minority with your denial and defence of Karla Homolka (Bernardo - Teal)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 05:38 am
And you guys call ME a hate monger??
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:22:49