Karla Homolka to be released July 5th

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 09:05 am
May I suggest that you remove the teeth from your avatar so it will represent you better?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 09:18 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
May I suggest that you remove the teeth from your avatar so it will represent you better?

How so?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 09:24 am
The more I think about it, Karla Homolka was really only involved in a half dozen or so rape cases. That may or may not be enough for a run at a NY senate seat:

http://chblue.com/Feb1999/022599/clintonwomen022599.htm

Hillary KKKlinton on the other hand is personally responsible for at least two or three dozen women being sexually assaulted and/or raped. She knew early on that in Slick she had a guy who was massively photogenic, a brilliant speaker with a photographic memory and clearly presidential material IF she could keep the lid down on the little problems, and there has been a lid committee in place from then to now comprised of Terry Lenzner and one or two other PI organizations whose task has been to bribe and/or intimidate all those women into silence. It invariably worked, up to the Juanita Broaddrick accusation, because in every particular case it was just one woman with no real resources up against some sort of a thing with the full resources of one of the states or the United States behind it. Moreover, for something like that to have been in place all that time there is only one person on the planet who could have been in charge of it, i.e. Hillary KKKlinton.

I mean, You can watch the H. KKKlinton story occasionally on Friday and Saturday nights on the Grade B movie channel. The most common version shows some old crazy woman living in a cabin out in the swamp in the Louisiana bayous with two grown sons; the grown sons go out and rape and pillage at night and then the poor old crazy woman has to try to cover for them. Substitute Slick for the two sons and that's basically the H. KKKlinton story.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:40 pm
Homolka may be right to see Quebec as good place to blend in: experts

at 16:39 on June 28, 2005, EST.
LES PERREAUX

QUEBEC (CP) - Convicted killer Karla Homolka was probably right when she told a psychiatrist that Quebec offers her the best chance of a normal life when she is released from prison in coming days.

Several experts and at least two recent studies agree: When it comes to criminals, Quebecers are more willing to forgive - or at least forget - than most Canadians. "Quebecers have a relatively short memory," said Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu, a victim's rights advocate in Quebec.

Boisvenu's daughter, Julie, was raped and murdered in Sherbrooke, Que., in 2001.

"In six months or four months, if Homolka doesn't make a mistake, Quebecers will have forgotten," he said.

Although Quebec media give extensive coverage to many crimes within the province, Boisvenu said the attention is fleeting. Quebecers are less concerned with retribution and pay very little attention to crime in the rest of Canada, he said.

"Quebecers feel less concerned by these (Ontario) murders because the victims were not Quebecois," Boisvenu said.

"In Quebec, people are more willing to accept her and see what happens. Ontarians still feel there is an account to be settled."

Slated for release between Thursday and July 4, Homolka said in a psychiatric report done in 2000 she sees Quebec as "a separate country" where it would be easy to blend in. Homolka learned to speak French in prison.

"It's a whole different world in Quebec, especially when you look at it from here," said Liz Elliott, a Montreal native who is a criminology professor at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia.

"There is a different sense of justice, a different sense of altruism there toward people who are convicted of crimes."

One major study completed for the federal Justice Department in 2004 said Quebecers were less likely than most Canadians to see police and prisons as the answer for crime.

Other surveys have also showed Quebecers are least likely to demand a get-tough approach to criminals. When changes were made to the youth justice system, Quebec fought against a harsher approach.

Quebec Senator Michel Biron recently stood up for Homolka, saying restrictions placed on her release at a recent hearing were unfair. However, he later apologized and said he was misinformed about the situation.

"I think that people in Quebec have an open mind on that and they can give a second chance to people," said Christine Champagne, clinical director of the Elizabeth Fry Society, an advocacy group for female prisoners.

"They believe in rehabilitation. This open mind will help facilitate her reintegration. I don't know very well the rest of the country but I know in Quebec there are open minds."

Homolka had told a prison psychiatrist that she intended to settle in the province because few Quebecers had heard of her or her crimes.

Homolka spent most of her 12-year sentence for the sex slayings of Ontario schoolgirls Leslie Mahaffy and Kristen French at a prison about an hour from Montreal.

Her ex-husband, Paul Bernardo, received a life sentence in 1995. He was declared a dangerous offender and remains jailed indefinitely.

Few Quebecers paid much attention to Homolka or Bernardo until early June, when the media descended on Joliette, Que., where a court hearing took place to decide on conditions for her release.

Homolka will get much more attention with her impending freedom. Hot for one of the biggest crime-related stories of the year, Quebec newspapers, radio stations and television networks have joined their Ontario-based counterparts in the chase to get the first post-prison photograph or video footage of Homolka.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:43 pm
Somehow, I don't think she'll find a lot of sympathy out there for her situation. She's the author of her own troubles.
I don't think she should have special treatment and receive the injunction.

Homolka says she fears for her life as she seeks injunction against the media

at 18:45 on June 28, 2005, EST.
DONALD MCKENZIE

MONTREAL (CP) - Saying she is scared of being killed after being released from prison, convicted killer Karla Homolka is going to court to seek a wide-ranging injunction aimed at preventing the media from reporting anything about her.

"I believe some people wish to do the public a favour by killing me," Homolka said Tuesday in an affidavit that accompanies the injunction request, which will be heard in Quebec Superior Court on Wednesday.

Homolka, who signed the affidavit under her legal name of Karla Leanne Teale, said all she wants when she is freed between Thursday and Monday is to begin a new life and be as anonymous as possible.

"As far as I know, nothing has been done to safeguard my security after my release from prison, and the thought of being relentlessly pursued, hunted down and followed when I won't have any protection makes me fear for my life."

The injunction would prevent media from taking photos of her and from trying to obtain any information about her, including her address, her telephone number, her movements and her relationships.

It also targets any such information on the Internet.

The motion for the injunction states the crimes Homolka was charged with sparked feelings of hate, anger, horror and vengeance across the country.

"These feelings have been fed and made worse over the years by the national and international press as well as Internet sites around the world," the document says.

"It is not up to the media or the public to hunt down the plaintiff like an animal in contempt of her basic rights under the federal Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Quebec Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Quebec Civil Code."

Homolka is to be released from a Montreal-area prison after serving 12 years for manslaughter in the sex slayings of Ontario teenagers Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy in the early '90s.

Christian Lachance, one of the two lawyers acting on Homolka's behalf, says the notorious inmate is genuinely scared.

"She's very afraid, very afraid," Lachance said. "She can't even imagine that she'll be out in a couple of days. As far as I know, she doesn't even know where she will be living."

Tim Danson, the lawyer for the Mahaffy and French families, said Homolka's true motive in seeking the injunction may be to distract from the threat she poses to public safety.

"What we don't know is whether this is simply part of Karla Homolka being the master manipulator to change the focus from the real problem - the threat she poses to public safety - by trying to portray herself as the victim," Danson said in an interview.

"I'm instinctively cynical when it comes to Karla Homolka. This may be part of her modus operandi, to play out the role of the victim."

Lawyer Mark Bantey, who will represent several media at the injunction hearing, called the move "unprecedented."

"The conclusions she's seeking are so vast," Bantey said in an interview. "Basically, she's asking us to stop writing about her even though she's a public figure.

"She's asking everybody to stop talking about her, including members of the public."

Andrew Phillips, editor-in-chief of the Montreal Gazette, said his newspaper will contest the temporary injunction.

"We think there's a valid public interest in knowing what happens to her after she gets out of jail," Phillips said. "She's asking for a complete, total ban, which is unreasonable and unrealistic."

He added she was convicted of "some pretty horrific crimes" and people in various communities in Quebec and elsewhere have an interest in knowing her whereabouts.

Phillips said there's the issue of her safety, "but there's really the safety of the public as a whole."

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:59 pm
I think the judge did the right thing by denying the injunction. There should be no reason why she should be awarded any special consideration. It's no different when a pediphile is released from prison.

Judge denies plea for media ban in Homolka case

Last Updated Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:47:05 EDT
CBC News

A Quebec judge has turned down Karla Homolka's request for an injunction that would have prohibited the media from telling certain details about her life after she's released from prison.

Mr. Justice Paul-Marcel Bellavance made the ruling late Wednesday in the Quebec Superior Court in Montreal, after hearing more than two hours of arguments by Homolka's lawyers and those for 11 media outlets that opposed the ban.

Homolka's lawyers had asked for a special injunction that would prevent reporters from covering her release for 10 days, arguing that the coverage could endanger their client.

However, the judge said that granting the injunction would have impaired the freedom of the press.

Bellavance also agreed with an argument made by the media outlets, saying the public has a right to know Homolka's location because of the severity of her crimes and because another court earlier ruled that she could still be dangerous.

"One day or another, after 12 years of detention, Karla Teale must face the Canadian public and the Canadian media," said Bellavance, calling Homolka by her legal name, Karla Leanne Teale.

Homolka, who has served her entire 12-year sentence for her role in the deaths of two Ontario schoolgirls in the early 1990s, could be released as early as Thursday.

Her ex-husband, Paul Bernardo, is serving a life sentence for first-degree murder in connection with the deaths of Leslie Mahaffy and Kristen French.

'Nothing has been done to safeguard my security'

Earlier in the day, Homolka's lawyers told the judge that there were great concerns about their client's safety. They said she had received death threats from people both inside and outside the prison.

"The injunction is necessary to rule out a risk that is real and significant," said one of her lawyers, Walid Hijazi. "This woman is alone and without resources."

Homolka expressed the same concerns in an affidavit requesting the injunction.

"As far as I know, nothing has been done to safeguard my security after my release from prison, and the thought of being relentlessly pursued, hunted down and followed when I won't have any protection makes me fear for my life," she wrote.

"I believe some people wish to do the public a favour by killing me," wrote Homolka, who signed the court document under her legal name of Karla Leanne Teale.

Homolka's lawyers said they met with Corrections Canada, Montreal police and the provincial police in Montreal on Wednesday morning.

They asked for additional security to protect Homolka after her release, but were turned down.

At one point during Wednesday's hearing, the judge asked Homolka's lawyers how a blanket ban on media coverage could be enforced. He pointed out that the Canadian public could learn of her comings and goings from U.S. border television stations, for example.

The lawyers replied that an injunction would at least have a dissuasive effect on Canadian media.

Media outlets defend public's right to know

The media lawyers argued that Homolka has become a public figure because of what she did, and that the public therefore has the right to know details of her post-prison life.

They based their arguments on a restraining order issued earlier this month by another Quebec judge, which described Homolka as a danger to the public and imposed strict conditions on her freedom.

The lawyers said the media has not only a right, but a duty to tell the public where Homolka settles and whether she complies with the judge's restrictions.

Coverage has 'fed' public's hatred, Homolka says

In her affidavit, Homolka said the crimes she committed generated feelings of hate, horror, anger and vengeance, and media coverage has fed those sentiments.

"These feelings have been fed and made worse over the years by the national and international press as well as internet sites around the world."

She said she wants to get on with court-ordered therapy and that that would be impossible if she has to spend the rest of her life managing what she calls the "media circus."

She served her time in a federal prison in Joliette, Quebec.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:10 pm
Homolka could profit from her story, lawyer saysCTV.ca News Staff

Karla Homolka could possibly profit by telling her story to the media when she is released, lawyer Tim Danson told CTV Toronto's Paul Bliss.

Danson represents the families of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy, who were brutally raped and killed by Homolka and Paul Bernardo.

In the final two paragraphs of Homolka's now-infamous plea bargain, it forbids her from giving an account of her actions to the media. She is also banned from telling her story for the purpose of any book or movie.

"Our position is, no media interviews, no recounting of information, directly or indirectly relating to the horrible crimes that she committed," Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant told Bliss.

Danson, however, believes this could change when Homolka leaves jail as early as this Thursday, and her 12-year sentence expires.

"I recognize that there may be problems with enforcing that part of the plea bargain when she's free," Danson told Bliss. "Then she has the same constitutional rights as anybody else."

To counter this, Danson filed a civil suit against Homolka and Paul Bernardo about 10 years ago. It claims damages for the pain and suffering endured by the victims' families.

If Homolka attempts to sell her story to the media, Danson plans to sue her and give the money to charity.

However, Danson admits a successful lawsuit will be difficult.

"I recognize that someone could take the counter view, and say that once her 12-year sentence is up, the state no longer controls her destiny," Danson said. "And then she could advance free speech rights."

More problematic is Homolka's apparent decision to live in Quebec. Unlike Ontario, B.C. and Manitoba, Quebec has no law against criminals who profit from selling their stories.

Danson also believes there is little to stop Homolka from speaking to media outside of Canada.

Minister of Justice Irwin Cotler feels otherwise. He told CTV's Lisa LaFlamme he is unaware of any legal loopholes that would enable Homolka to profit from her crimes.

"I know that she's under a range of restrictions once she leaves [prison], and none of those restrictions in my view are consistent with her profiting from her crimes," Cotler told reporters.

"We otherwise have legislative frameworks to deal with that."

Source
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:42 pm
Interesting article, 'trep'. Thanks for that.

What's your opinion here? I don't think she should be allowed to profit from the misery of her crimes. I would hope that there would be something that could be done to stop this.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 08:05 pm
Homolka's bid to ban media coverage met with disdain by Internet chatters

at 18:23 on June 30, 2005, EST.
GREG BONNELL

STE-ANNE-DES-PLAINES, Que. (CP) - Karla Homolka's bid to escape media scrutiny following her imminent release from prison has given fresh vigour to vitriolic speculation on the Internet about whether and when she might face the threat of vigilante justice.

"Some crimes can't be forgiven," reads a message posted Thursday to an online petition to keep Homolka behind bars. "She should be dead."

Another Internet protester expressed outrage that Homolka, who is trying to keep the media at bay because she fears for her life outside of prison, should seek to be protected from a Canadian public anxious to know her whereabouts.

"I have never before believed in vigilante justice. . . .until now," the protester writes. "She wasn't exactly concerned about the safety of her victims, including her own sister."

Homolka's 12-year sentence for the rape and torture deaths of Ontario schoolgirls Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy, as well as the death of her 15-year-old sister Tammy, officially comes to an end Tuesday, but her release can come anytime before then.

Reporters, photographers and camera crews have been standing watch outside the prison in this rural community north of Montreal; Correctional Service Canada has kept the exact date a secret amid reports of death threats against Canada's most notorious female felon.

Homolka's efforts to keep media outlets at bay, including forbidding reporters from even keeping watch at the foot of the prison driveway, have only fuelled that sentiment.

"Karla, you're not the victim here," writes one Internet blogger.

"Karla... hasn't earned the privilege of being left alone by the media nor the public. In fact, she abandoned that luxury when she perpetrated her abominable acts."

The recent demise of byebyekarla.com, a much-publicized online "death pool" in which participants placed wagers on the anticipated day of her death, has done little to quell wagering on her murder, which has since moved into other parts of cyberspace.

"She's sounding a little nervous to me, don't you think?" reads a post at Dust My Broom, a site for bloggers. "She should be. Ooops, hope that doesn't sound like a threat."

Contributors to the online petition were more direct.

"Karla's release is the best thing for everybody," writes one contributor called Kerry. "She will be murdered within a month."

Says another, known as John: "Garbage should neither be left in public places, nor stored in one's garage. It should be properly disposed if for the safety of all. Kill her."

The public's palpable hatred for Homolka is not lost on the schoolgirl killer.

"Some people wish to do the public a favour by killing me," Homolka said in an affidavit that accompanied her application Wednesday for an injunction against the media.

"As far as I know, nothing has been done to safeguard my security after my release from prison, and the thought of being relentlessly pursued, hunted down and followed when I won't have any protection makes me fear for my life."

Homolka's initial bid for an injunction against the media was denied, but her lawyers were expected to file an appeal. Meanwhile, reporters continued to gather outside the prison awaiting her release.

Lawyer Christian Lachance has said allowing a media stake out of his client puts her "in danger" and that "a public lynching would be authorized."

Sympathy for Homolka's plight was hard to come by in cyberspace.

"Everyone should be able to know where she is and staying because of her crimes committed," writes Kiran.

Those crimes, and the 12-year sentence Homolka received in exchange for her testimony against her ex-husband Paul Bernardo, still gnaw at the public conscience.

French and Mahaffy were raped, tortured and murdered in the notorious couple's picturesque home in St. Catharines, Ont. Tammy Homolka choked on vomit and died on Christmas Eve in 1990 after her sister rendered her unconscious with a drug-soaked cloth to facilitate her rape by Bernardo.

Bernardo was convicted in 1995 of two counts of first-degree murder and later declared a dangerous offender, a designation that keeps him behind bars indefinitely.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 08:11 pm
Wow! Quite the media circus going on....

Homolka impostor in blue van fools some reporters waiting for the real thing

at 17:54 on June 30, 2005, EST.
LES PERREAUX

STE-ANNE-DES-PLAINES, Que. (CP) - A Karla Homolka impostor was the closest photographers and journalists got to the convicted killer on Thursday as they anxiously awaited the release of one of Canada's most notorious criminals.

Soaring temperatures fuelled a heated atmosphere where rumour and innuendo filled an information vacuum and sent news media scrambling for a glimpse of Homolka, who is about to complete her 12-year sentence for her role in the rape and deaths of Ontario teenage girls.

A group of young adults in a blue van played a hoax on journalists, pretending to drive Homolka away from the prison nestled among farmers' fields north of Montreal.

They drove from the Ste-Anne-des-Plaines penitentiary transporting a woman who was hiding her face. Others in the van gestured theatrically that this was the woman the journalists wanted to see.

Most of the several dozen members of the media gathered near the jail dismissed the morning act as a prank but several others gave chase before the pranksters took refuge several kilometres later at a training school for correctional staff.

A Correctional Service Canada spokeswoman confirmed Homolka was still in jail as of 4:15 p.m. eastern time. Homolka is expected to be released between Thursday and Monday.

Another correctional spokeswoman scolded the media for following some of the vehicles that left the prison.

"A few people have been driving around chasing vehicles," said spokeswoman Michelle Pilon-Santilli.

"If it becomes necessary, the police will intervene."

In another development, RDI reported that lawyers for Homolka will return to court Monday to seek another injunction, ostensibly to get her police protection once she's released from prison.

The all-news TV channel said the legal move would not be an appeal of a judge's decision Wednesday to reject Homolka's request for a temporary injunction. The judge said that given the crimes that Homolka has committed, the public has the right to know what she's up to.

Meanwhile, Jeannine Lahaye, a spokeswoman for the Quebec Justice Department, said documents are expected to be filed in another court Tuesday paving the way for Homolka to contest previously announced restrictions on her movements.

Lahaye said a time frame will have to be determined to hear the case in Quebec Superior Court in Joliette, about an hour northeast of Montreal. A judge will also have to be chosen, she added.

Homolka lawyer Sylvie Bordelais wouldn't comment on whether her client is appealing the restrictions, which include having to report to police once a month and avoiding all contact with violent offenders.

"I have nothing to say on that subject," Bordelais said.

Another person waiting outside the prison Thursday was Christian Carretta, whose daughter was killed by Jean-Paul Gerbet, Homolka's prison lover.

Carretta said he has no problem with the attention Homolka is getting.

"It's good because these people melt into the background and nobody knows who they are," said Carretta, who stood under the baking sun with a blown-up photo of his daughter.

"I'm about to go through the same pain as these families, so I'm here to show my solidarity and once again denounce this bastard who killed my daughter."

Gerbet is expected to be eligible for parole soon.

A steady stream of traffic flowed from the prison, including at least a dozen official vans with tinted windows, which made it impossible to see who was travelling inside.

Twice, a limousine driven by a man in a uniform resembling that of a corrections guard went into the prison, leaving reporters to wonder if it was a special ride for Homolka or a moonlighting prison guard.

Two young women rode horseback along a trail parallel to the prison road, beyond the gate where journalists were turned back.

Among industrial equipment and food shipments, a seafood truck with the image of a giant lobster on the side made a delivery to the prison.

Almost no local people from the nearby village came to the prison to watch the spectacle but the media held vigil along a long narrow road cutting through a grassy tree-lined boulevard and green crops.

Extra security kept guard at a checkpoint along the road more than a kilometre from the main prison gate.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:35 am
Reyn wrote:

What's your opinion here? I don't think she should be allowed to profit from the misery of her crimes. I would hope that there would be something that could be done to stop this.

I hate to say it but, if the Toronto Sun is going to be allowed to go on printing the kinds of articles it has over the last week and courts are NOT going to bar them from pointing Karla out to every would-be vigilante in the land, then I'm all for Karla making every dime she possibly can with this stupid fucked-up story and using the money to protect herself any way she can.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 11:50 am
Here's the latest....

Homolka still detained as of Friday morning, says Correctional Service Canada
at 9:03 on July 1, 2005, EST.

STE-ANNE-DES-PLAINES, Que. (CP) - Karla Homolka remained behind bars on Friday morning as the countdown continued to the release of Canada's most notorious female inmate.

Homolka, who is about to complete a 12-year prison sentence for manslaughter in the sex slayings of two Ontario schoolgirls in the 1990s, remained incarcerated as of 8:15 a.m. EDT, said Michele Pilon-Santilli, a Correctional Service Canada spokeswoman.

Monday is the deadline for releasing Homolka.

Pilon-Santilli said federal authorities will issue a statement as soon as she is freed.

Homolka did get the support of at least one man who turned up outside the Ste-Anne-des-Plaines penitentiary north of Montreal.

Steven Boudrias used red lipstick to write I Love Karla on the rear windshield of his car, one of several vehicles awaiting the release of the native of St. Catharines, Ont.

"She's a pretty woman," Boudrias, 30, said in an interview. "She did her time."

Boudrias travelled more than an hour to express his support for Homolka.

There was little other action early Friday outside the Ste-Anne-des-Plaines prison.

A Correctional Service Canada bus entered the facility at one point escorted by three vans. But the convoy didn't come back out.

An ambulance also entered in a rush, lights flashing, but left about 45 minutes later in no visible rush and without the flashing lights.

Homolka was sentenced in 1993 for her role in the deaths of Ontario schoolgirls Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy.

In return, she agreed to testify against Paul Bernardo, her ex-husband, who was ultimately convicted of two counts of first-degree murder.

In sentencing Homolka, the court also took into consideration her role in the 1990 death of her 15-year-old sister Tammy, who died on Christmas Eve after Homolka held a drug-soaked cloth over her face so Bernardo could rape her.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 11:57 am
gungasnake wrote:
Reyn wrote:

I hate to say it but, if the Toronto Sun is going to be allowed to go on printing the kinds of articles it has over the last week and courts are NOT going to bar them from pointing Karla out to every would-be vigilante in the land, then I'm all for Karla making every dime she possibly can with this stupid ****-up story and using the money to protect herself any way she can.

Not the Toronto Sun, Gunga. All media can produce any information that they want about Ms Homolka (Teal). Many places have laws that provide for the public to be made aware of the whereabouts of violent child molesters who may be in their areas. I find your remarks to be a bit on the fringe in this case. Maybe you could expand on what you mean by
Quote:
"I'm all for Karla making every dime she possibly can with this stupid ****-up story and using the money to protect herself any way she can"
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 02:26 pm
Intrepid wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Reyn wrote:

I hate to say it but, if the Toronto Sun is going to be allowed to go on printing the kinds of articles it has over the last week and courts are NOT going to bar them from pointing Karla out to every would-be vigilante in the land, then I'm all for Karla making every dime she possibly can with this stupid ****-up story and using the money to protect herself any way she can.

Not the Toronto Sun, Gunga. All media can produce any information that they want about Ms Homolka (Teal). Many places have laws that provide for the public to be made aware of the whereabouts of violent child molesters who may be in their areas. I find your remarks to be a bit on the fringe in this case. Maybe you could expand on what you mean by
Quote:
"I'm all for Karla making every dime she possibly can with this stupid ****-up story and using the money to protect herself any way she can"

Homolka asked for an injunction to prevent a list of newspapers and other media (starting with the Toronto Sun) from publishing details of her life after release, particularly her whereabouts, claiming a right to "not be hunted down like an animal". If I were the judge, I'd have granted it.

Every story on the subject I've seen from the Sun repeatedly refers to Homolka as "Schoolgirl Killer Karla Homolka", "Killer Karla" etc. whereas in real life, it is very far from obvious that Karla Homolka is guilty of anything worth doing prison time.

What sort of a headline is the Toronto Sun planning to run when some ignorant vigilante follows their little guidebook and one of their little maps and bags Karla with his 30-06?

Possibly one or more of the following?

Quote:

A$$hole Canadian Newspaper Kills Defenseless Woman

A$$hole Canadian Government Approves

A$$hole Canadian AG (Michael Bryant) Declares 110-lb Woman a Greater Threat than Nazi Germany

Here's what the bottom lines of the Homolka case seem to be. The story starts off with a 17-year-old girl who had never committed any sort of crime or hurt anybody or anything getting thrown into a meatgrinder with an outright total psychopath who is also a serial rapist and a sexual sadist, and who has already made major efforts in the direction of being an expert in brainwashing and control.

Robert Hare ("Without Conscience")notes that for people unfortunate enough to have dealings with psychopaths, the first things which go straight out the window are usually logic and normal behavior:

Quote:

"One question runs like a refrain through the stories told by the victims of psychopaths: "How could I have been so stupid? How could I have fallen for that incredible line of baloney?" And when victims aren't asking themselves, somebody else is sure to pose the question. "How on earth could you have been taken in to that extent?" The characteristic answer: "You had to be there. It seemed reasonable, plausible at the time." The clear-and largely valid-implication is that had we been there we too might have been sucked in.

"Some people are simply too trusting and gullible for their own good-ready targets for any smooth talker who comes along. But what about the rest of us? The sad fact is that we are all vulnerable. Few people are such sophisticated and perceptive judges of human nature that they cannot be taken in by the machinations of a skilled and determined psychopath. Even those who study them are not immune; as I've indicated in previous chapters, my students and I are sometimes conned, even when aware that we're dealing with a probable psychopath.

"Of course, pathological lying and manipulation are not restricted to psychopaths. What makes psychopaths different from all others is the remarkable ease with which they lie, the pervasiveness of their deception, and the callousness with which they carry it out...

In other words, even trained professionals are not immune from the manipulative abilities of real psychopaths. Moreover, nobody should need to be Albert Einstein to comprehend that the problem would be magnified tenfold or more should one of these people ever set out to become a true expert in outright brainwashing:

http://tinyurl.com/cnyck

Quote:

> Stating, "I'm going to go out with her," Paul [Bernardo] claimed the high-school
> girl as his own.

> An item now, Paul began conditioning Dayle to serve as his personal
> sex slave. Within six months she was a possession on his arm in
> public. She was a brutalized toy thing for him in private.

> He criticized her family. He isolated her from her former friends,
> allowing her only friends he chose - his own friends. He belittled her
> religion, even taking semi-nude pictures of her and threatening to
> display them in her church should she ever defy him.

> Their sexual relationship began with Paul tangling his fists into her
> long brown hair and forcing her mouth down upon his penis. "You're
> just my servant girl," he took pains to explain on those few occasions
> when she dared complain......

That was one of Bernardo's last previous girlfriends prior to Homolka.

To make matters worse, this is a psychopath who, with any sort of decent police work at all or, in fact, with anything better than 5% of the time of the police officers in question being spent doing anything other than mooching donuts, should have been in prison before he met the girl. This is a case in which the police had DNA samples from Bernardo and information from former associates (of Bernardo) that he was a perfect match for the police sketch of the "Scarborough Rapist" and that information sat there for three years while people were being raped and killed.

In Japan, should such a thing ever occur, the higher ranking police officials in question would all commit sepuku.

Then the keystones search the Bernardo residence for 70 days and can't find the videos which are the main reason for the universal hatred of Karla Homolka. The govt. makes the infamous plea bargain deal with Karla and Paul Bernardo, the real lunatic in the picture, is in for life whereas he'd otherwise have been out in ten years or less, EVEN WITH THE VIDEOS according to most believable sources.

Now, the two or three tanscripts of these videos I've seen have two characteristics which jump out at you. One, they are all scripted (by Bernardo) and, two, they are all 100% one-sided. In other words, there is zero incentive or benefit in them for Karla.

www.francesfarmersrevenge...philia.htm

Quote:

Quote:After the rape and death of her sister, Karla made a video with Paul, improvising
dialogue while sucking him off:

We raped a little girl. Down here in my room. You went out and you found her, got
her, brought her back to the house. Brought her downstairs, I was shocked. You @#%$ her...I let you do that. Because I love you. Because you're the king...If you want
to do it 50 times more. We can do it 50 times...Because I love you. Because you're
the king. 'Cause you deserve it.

If that isn't bad enough for you, the following full transcript assuredly will be.

http://www.francesfarmersrevenge.com/stuff/badgirls/homolkavideo.htm

In my judgment, for Karla Homolka to participate in the scene above, some part of her mind had to have simply ceased working.

The only motive there could possibly have been for Karla to participate in that would have been to stay alive for one more day.

Yeah, I know there are other videos which show Karla participating in acts against others with relish. But would you want to bet money as to whether those videos show real criminal activity or acting skills? I know I wouldn't.

The Karla Homolka story strikes me as similar to that of Patty Hearst and Elizabeth Smart, who went on cooperating with their captors after clear and easy chances to escape began to appear. Atr some point the control had become internalized.

The technical terms for this sort of thing are induced post traumatic stress disorder (brainwashing), "Stockholm Syndrome" etc. etc.

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20030324.html
http://www.dannyhaszard.com/stockholm_syndrome.htm
http://www.mental-health-matters.com/articles/article.php?artID=469

I mean, I could be wrong and Karla Homolka could actually be the worst female criminal since Ma Barker, but that's not the way I'd bet it if I HAD to bet it.

But you'd never know that any of these areas of science and knowledge existed reading the Toronto Sun.

Canadians hate Karla Homolka because she did not try to save the three teenage girls. The hell of it is though that towards the end of the story, after a beating so severe that all parties involved had to know she would not survive the next one, her family had to drag Karla out of the residence she shared with Bernardo. Far from being able to save others, she could not even save herself.

Like I say, the one other story I know of which is comparable is that of Patty Hearst. Some of Hearst's commentary on the Elizabeth Smart case are worth noting:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/03/13/life.after.kidnapping/

"There's no question at the time of the abduction she was in fear, and was fearful for a period of time," said Salt Lake City Police Chief Rick Dinse.

He also said the fact that she was walking around with the couple in an area where she might have been able to escape indicted that they had some sort of psychological control over her.

Patricia Hearst Shaw understands what that is like. She was a college student when she was kidnapped from her apartment in 1974, imprisoned in a closet, sexually assaulted and forced to participate in a bank robbery before being freed.

Quote:

"You have been so abused and so robbed of your free will and so frightened that you come to a point that you believe any lie that your abductor has told you. You don't feel safe. You think that either you will be killed if you reach out for help, or you believe your family will be killed," said Hearst.

"You've, in a way, given up, you've absorbed the new identity they've given you. You're surviving -- you're not even doing that � you're just living while everything else is going on around you," she said.

Hearst said that for some time after Elizabeth is back with her family she may still believe "her kidnappers have some sort control over her."

Hearst said she didn't feel free until she faced her abductors in court and "knew for sure that they could never, ever hurt me again."

Elizabeth's father, Ed Smart, also believes his daughter was brainwashed. He and his family have not pressed her for details to spare her further trauma.

The Patty Hearst conviction struck me as a flagrant miscarriage of justice at the time, so much so that had I been the judge I'd have set the jury verdict aside without a second's hesitation. You had a case in which a very naiive 20-year old girl had been subjected to techniques which broke down trained soldiers in the Korean war and the criteria of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt was clearly not met.

And so what you've got is one lunatic psychopath, a couple of dozen brutally raped women, at least three dead bodies and probably more like five or six, one totally innocent guy (Baltovich) spending eight or nine years in prison for one of Bernardo's murders and still facing a second trial without anybody saying word one about questioning Bernardo on the matter, and a woman just now getting out of prison after twelve years for her part in this whole mess which nobody really knows for sure was the role of an accomplice or of a victim, and a formerly Christian nation seemingly all out to kill the woman.

My advice to Canadians: This whole thing might be some sort of a test which God has devised to determine whether he should destroy Canada or allow it to go on in existence.

Kind of like the story of Abraham and the cities of the plain.....

Quote:

GEN 18:20 And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;

GEN 18:21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

GEN 18:22 And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD.

GEN 18:23 And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

GEN 18:24 Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?

GEN 18:25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

GEN 18:26 And the LORD said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.

GEN 18:27 And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the LORD, which am but dust and ashes:

GEN 18:28 Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.

GEN 18:29 And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.

GEN 18:30 And he said unto him, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.

GEN 18:31 And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the LORD: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.

GEN 18:32 And he said, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.

GEN 18:33 And the LORD went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.

0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 02:39 pm
Gungasnake wrote:
Quote:
Homolka asked for an injunction to prevent a list of newspapers and other media (starting with the Toronto Sun) from publishing details of her life after release, particularly her whereabouts, claiming a right to "not be hunted down like an animal". If I were the judge, I'd have granted it.

You were not the judge and he did not grant it

Quote:
Every story on the subject I've seen from the Sun repeatedly refers to Homolka as "Schoolgirl Killer Karla Homolka", "Killer Karla" etc. whereas in real life, it is very far from obvious that Karla Homolka is guilty of anything worth doing prison time.

???? What planet have you been on for the past 13 years.

Quote:
What sort of a headline is the Toronto Sun planning to run when some ignorant vigilante follows their little guidebook and one of their little maps and bags Karla with his 30-06?

This is not the U.S.A.

Quote:
Here's what the bottom lines of the Homolka case seem to be. The story starts off with a 17-year-old girl who had never committed any sort of crime or hurt anybody or anything getting thrown into a meatgrinder with an outright total psychopath who is also a serial rapist and a sexual sadist, and who has already made major efforts in the direction of being an expert in brainwashing and control.

Robert Hare ("Without Conscience")notes that for people unfortunate enough to have dealings with psychopaths, the first things which go straight out the window are usually logic and normal behavior:

Regardless of the reason.... Karla is now also a psychopath without a consience as has been proven

I find the rest of your post to be so ridiculous that I will not even respond to it. I will leave that to others.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 03:03 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I find the rest of your post to be so ridiculous that I will not even respond to it. I will leave that to others.

How about..... Shocked Rolling Eyes Mad Confused Smile Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That should suffice.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:21 pm
Intrepid wrote:

Regardless of the reason.... Karla is now also a psychopath without a consience as has been proven

I

Karla has issues to work through, but she is not a psychopath. As Hare and others note, psychopaths are born and not made, and it's real obvious, real early. Karla's life story to age 17 is not the story of a psychopath.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:37 pm
INDEPTH: BERNARDO
Bernardo/Homolka timeline

CBC News Online | June 30, 2005

The imminent release from prison of Karla Homolka has served to reignite a public fury that's been simmering just below the surface for as long as the whole story's been known. Her "deal with the devil" - 12 years in prison in return for testifying against husband Paul Bernardo - caused an outcry when the true scope of her involvement in murder became clear: not a helpless, manipulated victim, as it turned out, but a willing and enthusiastic participant in some appalling acts.

The nature of the murders, the videotapes, the fact that an attractive, seemingly normal young couple was responsible for causing so much pain - the story riveted our attention, even as we were repelled by its details. There were books, TV specials, a movie and too many front pages to count. And now, the story gets new life as Homolka prepares for a freedom most feel she doesn't deserve.

What to do with her now? Where will she live? What will she do? Is she still a danger?

The questions linger. But for the public, and especially for the families of her victims, there's likely to be little satisfaction from learning any of the answers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/bernardo/gfx/bernardo.jpg
Paul Bernardo

May 1987:
A young woman is raped in Scarborough, Ont., the first in a chain of rapes committed by the person the media dubs the Scarborough Rapist. Paul Bernardo would later admit to the sexual assaults of at least 14 women in southern Ontario. At one point, Bernardo faced 53 charges related to the rape - and in some cases, murder - of young women.

Oct. 17, 1987:
Karla Homolka, 17, meets Paul Bernardo, 23, at a hotel restaurant in Scarborough, Ont. They have sex in their hotel room two hours later.

Dec. 24, 1989:
Bernardo and Homolka are engaged.

1990:
Bernardo loses his job at accounting firm Price-Waterhouse. He would later turn to cigarette smuggling to make money.

July 1990:
According to Bernardo's testimony, he and Karla Homolka serve her younger sister, Tammy, a spaghetti dinner spiked with Valium stolen from Karla's workplace. Bernardo rapes Tammy for about a minute before she starts to wake up.

Nov. 20, 1990:
Bernardo provides hair, blood and saliva samples to Metro Toronto police as part of their Scarborough Rapist investigation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/bernardo/gfx/homolka_cp_3717256.jpg
Karla Homolka

Dec. 23, 1990:
After a Homolka family Christmas party, Bernardo and Karla Homolka drug Tammy Homolka with animal tranquilizers Karla stole from her work. Bernardo and Karla Homolka rape Tammy while she's unconscious. Tammy later chokes on her own vomit and dies. Bernardo tells police he tried to revive her, but failed, and her death is ruled an accident.

mid-January 1991:
Bernardo picks up a young female hitchhiker, brings her back to the Homolka home and rapes her in Karla Homolka's bedroom. He drops her off on a back street.

Feb. 1, 1991:
Bernardo and Homolka move into a rented house in St. Catharines, Ont.

June 14, 1991:
Bernardo kidnaps 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy from outside her house. With Homolka, he rapes and murders her.

June 29, 1991:
Bernardo and Homolka are married in a lavish ceremony. Mahaffy's dismembered body is found encased in concrete in Lake Gibson near St. Catharines.

April 16, 1992:
Bernardo, with the assistance of Homolka, kidnaps Kristen French from a church parking lot. After raping, torturing and killing her, they leave her body naked in a ditch, her hair cut off.

April 30, 1992:
French's body is found.

December 1992:
The Centre of Forensic Sciences begins DNA testing of the samples Bernardo provided in 1990.

January 1993:
After Bernardo beats Homolka with a flashlight, leaving her with two black eyes, she leaves their home and files charges against him.

Feb. 17, 1993:
Bernardo is arrested. An inquiry into the Bernardo case would later find that officers in charge violated Bernardo's charter rights by not allowing him to call a lawyer despite his repeated requests, making his initial eight-hour interrogation inadmissible as evidence.

Feb. 19, 1993:
A search warrant is executed in the Bernardo home. During the 71-day search of the St. Catharines house that follows, police fail to find videotapes containing the recordings of the rapes of Mahaffy, French, Tammy Homolka and at least one other girl.

May 6, 1993:
Ken Murray, Bernardo's lawyer, gains access to Bernardo's home. Murray retrieves the videotapes from above a ceiling light fixture in the upstairs bathroom. He would keep the videos in his possession for 16 months.

May 1993:
The plea agreement between Crown prosecutors and Homolka's lawyers is finalized.

June 28, 1993:
Homolka's trial begins.

July 1993:
Homolka pleads guilty to two counts of manslaughter and receives a 12-year jail sentence. Her pleas and the statement of facts agreed to by her lawyer and the Crown are both covered by a publication ban ordered by the judge to ensure a fair trial for Bernardo.

September 1994:
Ken Murray quits as Bernardo's lawyer and hands Bernardo's videotapes over to his successor, John Rosen. Rosen turns the videos over to police later in the month.

May 18, 1995:
Bernardo's trial begins.

June 29, 1995:
Homolka testifies against Bernardo.

Sept. 1, 1995:
Bernardo is found guilty of all nine charges against him, including two counts of first-degree murder for killing French and Mahaffy.

Sept. 15, 1995:
Bernardo is sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole for 25 years.

November 1995:
Bernardo is declared a dangerous offender, meaning he will likely spend the rest of his life in jail.

April 1996:
An Ontario Court judge rules that videotapes showing the rape and torture of Bernardo's victims must be destroyed when they are no longer needed for legal purposes.

July 1996:
A six-month-long inquiry into the police investigation of Bernardo concludes that the investigation was hampered by dozens of mistakes by individual officers and by rivalries between different police departments. The inquiry concludes that some of Bernardo's crimes could have been prevented if Bernardo's DNA samples had been processed more quickly.

January 1997:
Ken Murray is charged with obstruction of justice and possession of child pornography for failing to turn over the Bernardo tapes.

Summer 1997:
Homolka is transferred to Joliette Institution in Quebec when the Kingston Prison for Women is closed.

March 2000:
The Ontario Court of Appeal dismisses Bernardo's request for a new trial.

June 2000:
Murray is acquitted of charges arising from his failure to turn over the Bernardo tapes.

Sept. 21, 2000:
The Supreme Court of Canada denies Bernardo's leave to appeal his murder convictions.

Oct. 9, 2000:
Homolka is transferred to a maximum-security prison in Saskatoon for a psychiatric examination. Homolka's lawyers attempt to block the move, saying her life would be in danger if she were removed from the prison in Joliette.

Nov. 30. 2000:
Crown prosecutors drop charges against author Stephen Williams. The charges alleged that Williams broke a court order by watching the Bernardo tapes. The Crown said it didn't want to air the tapes again in court, so the judge dismissed the charges.

January 2001:
Homolka is transferred to a Montreal psychiatric hospital to undergo treatment.

March 2001:
The National Parole Board denies Homolka's application for early release, saying she is a risk to kill again.

December 2001:
The six videotapes depicting the rape and torture of Bernardo and Homolka's victims are destroyed.

March 2002:
The National Parole Board rules that Homolka is still a risk to society and will not be granted early release.

Nov. 13, 2002:
A book on Homolka written by Stephen Williams is published in French, containing excerpts from letters between the author and Homolka. Questions arise over whether the book violates a condition of Homolka's plea bargain, which states that she would not "talk directly … or indirectly to the media for a book … or live endeavour." Williams says he didn't speak to Homolka about the crimes, so the argument is moot.

February 2003:
The English language version of Williams' book, and Karla: A Pact with the Devil, appears on bookstore shelves.

May 4, 2003:
Author Stephen Williams is arrested and charged with violating a court order barring publication of courtroom exhibits used in the Bernardo and Homolka trials. Williams had used his website to show a collection of photographs, videotapes and police interviews from the cases.

October 2003:
Ontario Provincial Police lay 94 new charges against Stephen Williams related to his books Invisible Darkness and Karla: A Pact with the Devil.

May 2004:
Williams wins a grant from Human Rights Watch, an organization that supports victims of political persecution, to help defer his legal costs. The award places Canada alongside countries such as Myanmar, Peru and Sierra Leone.

Dec. 16, 2004:
The National Parole Board rules that Homolka must stay in prison for her full term, ending July 5, 2005.

Jan. 14, 2005:
Stephen Williams, author of two books on Bernardo and Homolka, pleads guilty to breaking a publication ban by posting the names of the couple's sexual assault victims on his website. He receives a three-year suspended sentence and is ordered to do 70 hours of community service.

April 11, 2005:
Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant says all provinces should place restrictions on Karla Homolka's activities once she's released in July. Bryant says he will ask a Quebec court judge to impose conditions on Homolka under section 810 of the Criminal Code, which allows for curfews and other restrictions.

April 12, 2005:
Michael Bryant says Homolka will not be charged with killing her sister when she is released from prison in July.

April 26, 2005:
Two officers with Niagara Regional Police meet with Homolka to discuss her plans after her release from prison. The details of that conversation are not released.

May 19, 2005:
A law passes through the Senate requiring violent criminals, including Karla Homolka, to give a DNA sample to a national databank. The bill, C-13, speeds through the minority government in part because of Homolka's impending release.

June 2, 2005:
Karla Homolka appears in a court in Joliette, Que., as prosecutors argue that restrictions should be placed on her freedom when she is released. It is the first time she is seen in public since she testified against her former husband, Paul Bernardo, 10 years earlier.

June 3, 2005:
After two days of arguments, Judge Jean R. Beaulieu agrees that Karla Homolka may pose a risk to society after she is released. He places several restrictions on her freedom that are to take effect after she is released. They include:
  • She is to tell police her home address, work address and who she lives with.
  • She has to notify police as soon as any of the above changes.
  • She will also have to notify police of any change to her name.
  • If she wants to be away from her home for more than 48 hours, she will have to give 72 hours notice.
  • She cannot contact Paul Bernardo, the families of Leslie Mahaffy and Kristen French or Jane Doe. She also may not contact any violent criminals.
  • She also will be forbidden from being with people under the age of 16 and from consuming drugs other than prescription medicine.
  • Continue therapy and counselling.
  • Provide police with a DNA sample.

June 29, 2005:
A Quebec judge turns down Karla Homolka's request for an injunction prohibiting the media from telling certain details about her life after she's released from prison. Homolka had hoped for a ban lasting 10 days after her release. Mr. Justice Paul-Marcel Bellavance rules that granting the injunction would have impaired the freedom of the press.

Bellavance also agrees with an argument made by several media outlets that the public has a right to know Homolka's location because of the severity of her crimes and because another court earlier had ruled that she could still be dangerous.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:49 pm
Like I say, to me at least, this entire story makes Canadians look like a bunch of a$$holes and the drumbeat version of the thing you read in the Canadian press pretty much pegs the needle on any sort of a bullshit meter.

My advice to Canadians would be to clean up your act, and you probably ought to start by burning down the facilities of the Toronto Sun.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 04:57 pm
I think the first thing we need here is for you to tone down your one-sided rhetoric.

And then, since you like to quote religious scripture, how about, "Those without sin can cast the first stone", or words to that effect. Before you start pointing your finger at Canada, how about looking to your own country's legal history, sir?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:18:33