Karla Homolka to be released July 5th

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 06:12 pm
I'll say it again for the benefit of anybody intelligent who might be looking at any of this: there are real answers as to what exactly happened to Karla Homolka:

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/articles/article.php?artID=469
http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20030324.html
http://www.dannyhaszard.com/stockholm_syndrome.htm
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:11 pm
Complete change of identity required if Homolka to 'disappear,' experts say
at 19:30 on July 1, 2005, EST.
COLIN PERKEL

TORONTO (CP) - If Karla Homolka truly wants to disappear from public sight and attempt to live a normal life, one way would be to assume a whole new identity, preferably from someone dead, according to a book she apparently favoured during her years behind bars.

In How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found, author Doug Richmond provides a detailed self-help manual on how to become someone else.

"The best way to get an identity is to use one that no one needs anymore: the identity of someone that's died," Richmond writes.

The idea is to obtain new identification in the name of the deceased, such as a birth certificate, and build from there.

Brian King, president of Toronto-based King-Reed and Associates, one of the country's largest private investigation firms, says Richmond's advice first published 20 years ago may no longer apply.

Particularly, better computerized cross-referencing makes it more difficult now to request the birth certificate of a dead person, he said.

"That was the way you would try and easily build an identity but it's not as easy anymore as it was say 10 years ago," he said.

A different appearance would also be needed for one of the country's most recognizable women, but Richmond maintains that radical changes are not required.

Among his suggestions are a simple change of clothing and hair style, glasses and altering one's gait by wearing shoes of slightly different heights or even putting a thumb-tack in one.

He also suggests adopting a new language, something Homolka has already done in becoming proficient in French.

And, he says: "The disappearee should attempt to keep out of the public eye as much as possible."

Changing identities is not entirely foreign to Homolka, who has shown herself capable of living a double life as a happy and successful daughter and wife even while carrying out unimaginable crimes.

She has already reverted to the name Karla Teale. It's a name she and her partner in their horrific crimes, Paul Bernardo, adopted in 1992 and was the name of a fictional serial killer in the 1988 movie Criminal Law.

But for Homolka, a new identity would likely involve more than a simple name change.

"It should go without saying that one of the prime requirements of a successful disappearance-cum-identity change is the complete divorcing of the new existence from the original," Richmond says in his book.

"This is easier said than done, and some people just can't handle it at all."

Still, for someone strongly motivated, it is possible, King said.

"If someone put their mind to it, they could do it."

That Homolka might be motivated to do so is hardly a stretch.

Her role in the sex and torture killings of two teens and the rape and death of her younger sister, have made her a reviled household name.

"Generally speaking, deliberate disappearance is a defensive reaction to overwhelming and intolerable social pressures," Richmond writes.

"The successful disappearee usually has a taste for risk, the ability to think and act quickly, and either a strong resistance to, or fear of, re-connecting with their past."

Homolka herself appeared to indicate such fears in a letter she wrote from prison to the author of a book about her.

"I am treated like a monster by the media and the public at large," she wrote. "I have done terrible things."

Successfully vanishing without a trace also requires meticulous planning, says Richmond.

"The most successful vanishers are those whose disappearance was planned well in advance and painstakingly executed," Richmond writes.

Homolka, of course, has had plenty of planning time during her 12 years in prison.

"It's going to be tough for her (but) she has to do something or she'll be a total shut-in," said King.

"If I were her, I would set about finding some way of establishing a new identity and then getting a passport (and) I think she'd go down to the Caribbean someplace and just disappear."

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:15 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Regardless of the reason.... Karla is now also a psychopath without a consience as has been proven

I

Karla has issues to work through, but she is not a psychopath. As Hare and others note, psychopaths are born and not made, and it's real obvious, real early. Karla's life story to age 17 is not the story of a psychopath.

Issues? Shocked Her life prior to age 17 is not in question. It is the rape, torture and murder after that where most people have a problem. Most people, it seems, except you. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:15 pm
Karla Homolka launches list of legal challenges on eve of release
at 19:27 on July 1, 2005, EST.
LES PERREAUX

STE-ANNE-DES-PLAINES, Que. (CP) - Just ahead of the Monday deadline for Karla Homolka's release, the convicted killer has a team of lawyers filing last-minute legal motions as if she were a death row inmate facing execution.

Homolka says she is so fearful that her legal aid team has abandoned initial plans for the Ontario schoolgirl killer to testify at a hearing Monday, The Canadian Press has learned.

"She's terrified, she's panicked by fear at the prospect of being in court, so we've set aside the idea of her testifying and will go with the witnesses we have," said Christian Lachance, a lawyer on Homolka's legal aid team, said Friday in a brief interview.

But Tim Danson, the lawyer who represents the victims' families, said the manoeuvring is more proof that Homolka is remorselessly playing the system.

"This is the same aggressive, combative Karla Homolka who took part in the sexual torture and murder of my clients' children," said Danson, who represents the families of victims Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy.

"It demonstrates more than ever that she has no more insight into her behaviour than she had 12 years ago," Danson said in an interview.

"Everything she does is the antithesis of the compliant and meek victim she would have us believe. This is the master manipulator, who can't stand not being in control, hanging herself with her own rope."

Homolka remained in prison just northwest of Montreal on Friday, where she could be released from prison at any time by the end of business hours on Monday.

Danson confirmed Homolka's appeal of the special conditions placed on her release will be in court to settle procedural matters on Tuesday in Joliette, north of Montreal.

Homolka's lawyers will also be back in court on Monday to ask a judge to order local and provincial authorities protect her and to ask the news media to leave her alone.

She has already failed in a legal bid to get a judge to temporarily prevent media from writing about her post-prison life.

Danson said he doesn't see any reason any judge would reverse the decision.

Lachance said he will call an employee of Correctional Service of Canada to testify about the security concerns that led to Homolka's move from a prison in Joliette to the Ste-Anne-des-Plaines penitentiary earlier this month.

"He did a report that said she was moved for security and because of intense media scrutiny," said Lachance, as a reporters and camera crews continued to keep vigil outside Homolka's prison.

Whatever new legal challenges Homolka launches, Correctional Service of Canada will be finished with her when she leaves the prison grounds by Monday, a spokeswoman said.

Michele Pilon-Santilli also dispelled a rumour that Homolka might try to extend her prison stay, saying it would be "impossible" for her to remain behind bars after her sentence is up.

Another Homolka lawyer, Sylvie Bordelais, has said Montreal and provincial police have both told her they wouldn't do anything to protect Homolka when she gets out because she would be a private citizen.

Danson said Homolka's legal dance will make it easier for him one year from now when he and the Ontario Crown ask the court to renew the restrictions on her, including that she avoid criminals and children.

"I'm rather mystified by the decision-making and the advice she's getting," he said. "She's making our case for us that she is a danger when she comes out because she has no insight into her behaviour."

There was little action outside the prison Friday, where a small gathering of media waited for Homolka to be set free. However, there were extra police in front of the prison.

Homolka may be one of Canada's most notorious criminals, but she did get the support of at least one man who turned up outside the penitentiary.

Steven Boudrias used red lipstick to write, I Love Karla, on the rear windshield of his car, one of several vehicles awaiting the release of the native of St. Catharines, Ont.

"She's a pretty woman," Boudrias, 30, said in an interview. "She did her time."

Boudrias travelled more than an hour to express his support for Homolka.

Homolka was sentenced to 12 in prison in 1993 for her role in the deaths of French and Mahaffy. She served the entire sentence, a punishment reserved for high-risk offenders.

In return, she agreed to testify against Paul Bernardo, her ex-husband, who was ultimately convicted of two counts of first-degree murder.

In sentencing Homolka, the court also took into consideration her role in the 1990 death of her 15-year-old sister Tammy, who died on Christmas Eve after Homolka held a drug-soaked cloth over her face so Bernardo could rape her.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:18 pm
The one other story I know of which is comparable is that of Patty Hearst. Some of Hearst's commentary on the Elizabeth Smart case are worth noting:

www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/...idnapping/

Quote:

"There's no question at the time of the abduction she was in fear, and was fearful for a period of time," said Salt Lake City Police Chief Rick Dinse.

He also said the fact that she was walking around with the couple in an area where she might have been able to escape indicted that they had some sort of psychological control over her.

Patricia Hearst Shaw understands what that is like. She was a college student when she was kidnapped from her apartment in 1974, imprisoned in a closet, sexually assaulted and forced to participate in a bank robbery before being freed.

"You have been so abused and so robbed of your free will and so frightened that you come to a point that you believe any lie that your abductor has told you. You don't feel safe. You think that either you will be killed if you reach out for help, or you believe your family will be killed," said Hearst.

"You've, in a way, given up, you've absorbed the new identity they've given you. You're surviving -- you're not even doing that � you're just living while everything else is going on around you," she said.

Hearst said that for some time after Elizabeth is back with her family she may still believe "her kidnappers have some sort control over her."

Hearst said she didn't feel free until she faced her abductors in court and "knew for sure that they could never, ever hurt me again."

Elizabeth's father, Ed Smart, also believes his daughter was brainwashed. He and his family have not pressed her for details to spare her further trauma.

The Patty Hearst conviction struck me as a flagrant miscarriage of justice at the time, so much so that had I been the judge I'd have set the jury verdict aside without a second's hesitation. You had a case in which a very naiive 20-year old girl had been subjected to techniques which broke down trained soldiers in the Korean war and the criteria of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt was clearly not met.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:18 pm
gungasnake wrote:
I'll say it again for the benefit of anybody intelligent who might be looking at any of this: there are real answers as to what exactly happened to Karla Homolka:

Are you suggesting that there are people reading your post that are less than intelligent? You are suggesting that the Stockholm syndrome is the reason for the way she acted and continues to act? Even less than intelligent people will readily see that your third link is a dead link.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:22 pm
Intrepid wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Regardless of the reason.... Karla is now also a psychopath without a consience as has been proven

I

Karla has issues to work through, but she is not a psychopath. As Hare and others note, psychopaths are born and not made, and it's real obvious, real early. Karla's life story to age 17 is not the story of a psychopath.

Issues? Shocked Her life prior to age 17 is not in question. It is the rape, torture and murder after that where most people have a problem. Most people, it seems, except you. Rolling Eyes

I've got a big problem with that sort of **** but the basic reality of the matter is that the guy responsible for all that **** is rotting in a prision cell which he will never get out of and Karla Homolka put him there. The Canadian Keystone justice system sure as hell didn't have much of anything to do with it.

Like I say, this whole story would make me REAL ashamed of being a Canadian if I had the misfortune to BE one.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:22 pm
gungasnake wrote:
The one other story I know of which is comparable is that of Patty Hearst. Some of Hearst's commentary on the Elizabeth Smart case are worth noting:

You compare Patty Hearst to Karla Homolka?????? Shocked

You seem to be under the impression that Karla Homolka was kidnapped and had mind altering things done to make her into a monster. She was not kidnapped. She married Paul Bernardo and joined in the kidnapping, torture, rape and murder of their victims.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:24 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

I

I've got a big problem with that sort of **** but the basic reality of the matter is that the guy responsible for all that **** is rotting in a prision cell which he will never get out of and Karla Homolka put him there. The Canadian Keystone justice system sure as hell didn't have much of anything to do with it.

Like I say, this whole story would make me REAL ashamed of being a Canadian if I had the misfortune to BE one.

and I am sure that most Canadians would be ashamed for you to be a Canadian too!!!!

I wonder how many Americans you make proud?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:26 pm
gungasnake wrote:

Give me a break pal! You go on and on about how this somehow smears the entire Canadian population! You have absolutely no credibility whatsoever!

There are no problems in your own country that you can focus your venomous keyboard on? Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:31 pm
Reyn wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

Give me a break pal! You go on and on about how this somehow smears the entire Canadian population! You have absolutely no credibility whatsoever!

There are no problems in your own country that you can focus your venomous keyboard on? Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

The most major problems we've ever had which called for venomous keyboards were eliminated in the 2000 election. Our government's been back under adult supervision since then.

But we've never had a case in which our law enforcement apparatus totally broke down in an indefensible manner and then the whole country went on a rampage of hatred against a defenseless woman who appeared to be a victim of whatever the failure involved whose main crime was having survived it. That's unusual, to say the least.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:35 pm
Reyn wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

I didn't say the whole population of the place. Just the government and the press and that percentage of the population lacking the intellectual wherewithal to read through the swill their media produces and filter out the bullshit (which in this case is about 99% of the story).
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:44 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Reyn wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

The most major problems we've ever had which called for venomous keyboards were eliminated in the 2000 election. Our government's been back under adult supervision since then.

But we've never had a case in which our law enforcement apparatus totally broke down in an indefensible manner and then the whole country went on a rampage of hatred against a defenseless woman who appeared to be a victim of whatever the failure involved whose main crime was having survived it. That's unusual, to say the least.

O.J. Simpson, Robert Blake, Hillside strangler, Lizzie Borden, Timothy McVeigh, Belle Gunness, Susan Smith, Leopold and Loeb, Sam Sheppard, Boston Strangler, Charles Manson (and his girls), Ted Bundy, Henry Lee Lucas ......... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:17 pm
Not much on analogies, are you?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:29 pm
Just trying to keep it simple so that even you may understand. I guess not.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:59 am
Convicted killer Karla Homolka starts last prison weekend before release
at 9:06 on July 2, 2005, EST.

STE-ANNE-DES-PLAINES, Que. (CP) - Convicted killer Karla Homolka began her final weekend behind bars on Saturday.

Homolka must be released by the end of business hours on Monday, the last day of her 12-year sentence for manslaughter in the sex slayings of two Ontario schoolgirls.

Only a few reporters held vigil Saturday morning outside the prison in Ste-Anne-des-Plaines, north of Montreal, with most people believing the country's most notorious female inmate will be released Monday for her own version of Independence Day.

How and when she will be freed has become a popular guessing game in recent days.

Meanwhile, Homolka's lawyers will be in court Monday to persuade a judge that the media shouldn't be allowed to report anything about their client's whereabouts.

Homolka fears she will be the target of vigilantes angry about the role she played alongside ex-husband Paul Bernardo in the rape, torture and murder of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s.

The lawyers are also expected to be in another court Tuesday to push for fewer restrictions on her post-prison movements than the ones imposed by a judge last month.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:10 am
Many means of escape available as Homolka prepares for departure from prison
at 9:17 on July 3, 2005, EST.
LES PERREAUX

STE-ANNE-DES-PLAINES, Que. (CP) - Karla Homolka's travel plans for her departure from prison are a closely guarded secret, but a passing motorist got a first-hand view of Correctional Service Canada's efficiency in spiriting prisoners away from her penitentiary.

Just before midnight Saturday night, a limousine roared from down the long prison road onto the busy local highway, running a stop sign and bringing traffic to a screeching halt while two beefy men on motorcycles ran interference.

A corrections spokeswoman said the small convoy was transporting a prisoner other than Homolka, who is expected to be released on Monday from the Ste-Anne-des-Plaines penitentiary north of Montreal.

Jocelyn Slight was cruising along the highway in his Corvette when he was forced to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting the limo.

Believing the car might contain Homolka, Slight followed for a short distance but could not keep up as the limo reached close to 100 kilometres an hour through a 50 km/h zone.

One of the bikers pulled up alongside Slight, in an apparent attempt to encourage him to back off.

"It passed right in front of us without stopping and it was flying, right through the village," Slight said. "I thought we'd follow for fun, but it wasn't much fun."

Slight's passenger, Lorraine Auger, was angry that corrections workers would run stop signs and speed to hasten the delivery of a prisoner.

"They have no business putting members of the public in danger for a person like that," said Auger.

"It was very close. It's a dangerous thing to do on a road like this."

However, Homolka could also use much more subtle methods of transport to evade cameras and peering eyes along the prison driveway, about three kilometres from the front gate.

On a typical workday, more than a dozen federal and provincial vehicles, ranging from minivans to buses, shuttle prisoners and workers back and forth from the prison. Many of the vehicles have tinted windows, no windows or screens that obscure any view of what is inside.

Scores of civilian minivans, SUVs and other vehicles with tinted windows also travel back and forth from the prison. Dozens roll at once during shift changes three times a day. Homolka could easily be in any of those.

Some have even mused that a helicopter might ferry Homolka away. Corrections workers have scoffed at the notion, saying they don't even have a helicopter.

Tuesday marks the official end of Homolka's 12-year sentence for manslaughter in the sex slayings of two Ontario schoolgirls and the 1990 death of her 15-year-old sister Tammy - but prisoners are routinely released the day before their term expires.

Homolka agreed to plead guilty to two counts of manslaughter and serve the 12 years in exchange for testimony against her ex-husband Paul Bernardo, who was convicted of two counts of first-degree murder in the rape, torture and death of Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 06:14 pm
Homolka mere hours away from uncertain freedom - and certain media frenzy
at 19:00 on July 3, 2005, EST.
JAMES MCCARTEN

MONTREAL (CP) - Karla Homolka's freedom was likely less than 24 hours away Sunday as the country's most notorious female offender braced for the end of 12 years in prison, an ensuing international media frenzy and the daunting future she faces as one of Canada's most reviled and fascinating criminals.

Homolka, jailed in 1993 for her role in the deaths of Ontario schoolgirls Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy, as well as the drug-rape death in 1990 of her 15-year-old sister Tammy, was still in custody late Sunday afternoon, said Correctional Service Canada spokeswoman Michele Pilon-Santilli.

The details of how - and precisely when - Homolka was to be released remained a closely guarded secret Sunday as Pilon-Santilli, well aware of the ease with which Homolka could leave the Ste-Anne-des-Plaines prison undetected, pledged to disclose the event with haste.

"Really all I can tell you is that she's still under our jurisdiction," Pilon-Santilli said. "I'll issue a release as soon as I can after she's out."

Homolka was spotted by other inmates strolling in the prison yard Sunday, the wife of one convict told The Canadian Press.

"They saw her this morning," said the woman, who only identified herself as Sylvie. "She was by herself, out for a walk."

Homolka can be released anytime before the end of business hours Monday, the last official day of her sentence. Tim Danson, the lawyer representing the French and Mahaffy families, said he expects to be notified as soon as Homolka is freed so that he can inform his clients.

"I've requested that the families find out from me rather than through the media, and they said they would respect that," said Danson, who plans to seek intervener status at a hearing Tuesday where Homolka's lawyers intend to file an appeal of their client's release conditions.

The Canadian public's palpable hatred for Homolka reached a boiling point in 1993, when she agreed to plead guilty to two counts of manslaughter and serve just 12 years in exchange for her testimony against ex-husband Paul Bernardo, who was convicted of two counts of first-degree murder.

In sentencing Homolka, the court also took into consideration her role in the death of her sister Tammy, who died on Christmas Eve after Homolka held a drug-soaked cloth over her face so Bernardo could rape her.

Homolka portrayed herself to authorities as a victim, a timorous, abused wife forced by the monster she'd married to aid and abet his abhorrent sex-slave schemes, including the kidnapping, rape and torture of French and Mahaffy.

But ghastly videotapes documenting the couple's crimes, which were shown to jurors at Bernardo's 1995 trial, depicted Homolka more as an accomplice than a victim, prompting angry critics to accuse Crown authorities of making a "deal with the devil."

The media stakeout at the foot of the long driveway leading to the Ste-Anne-des-Plaines prison continued to attract people hoping to catch a glimpse of the infamous schoolgirl killer.

"I think she's definitely a danger to the public, I really do," said Elie, a 27-year-old student from Montreal who refused to give her last name.

"I think she's like a sidekick, kind of like a Bonnie and Clyde thing . . .I think she can easily latch on to any other Paul Bernardo-type criminal who will come along so I think we should definitely have a watch over her."

Last month, Homolka was ordered under Section 810 of the Criminal Code to adhere to a strict set of conditions, including that she check in regularly with police, provide notice of any trips, steer clear of her home town of St. Catharines, Ont., and have no contact with other convicts.

Danson said the French and Mahaffy families are "extremely upset" about the prospect of going back to court to defend the conditions placed on Homolka's release.

"My clients' daughters paid the ultimate price of that dangerousness," he said. "They are not going to stay quiet when someone argues that she's not dangerous."

On Monday, Homolka's lawyers also plan to take another crack at convincing the court to ban media coverage of her release on the grounds that publicity would place her life at risk, given that her notoriety makes her an easy target for angry proponents of vigilante justice.

A similar application was soundly rejected last week by Quebec Superior Court Justice Paul-Marcel Bellavance.

"She has to face the consequences of her own actions; there are criminal consequences, there are civil consequences and there are social consequences," Danson said.

"She can't be involved in what can only be described as participating in the sexual torture and murder of my clients' children, and then expect simply to walk out and not be answerable to it in the court of public opinion."

Late Saturday night, a passing motorist got a first-hand view of just how efficient the CSC can be in spiriting away inmates from the prison, about an hour's drive north of Montreal.

A limousine roared from down the long prison road onto the busy local highway, running a stop sign and bringing traffic to a screeching halt while two beefy men on motorcycles ran interference.

Motorist Jocelyn Slight, forced to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting the limo, suspected the car might contain Homolka and followed for a short distance until the limo reached close to 100 kilometres an hour through a 50 km/h zone.

"It passed right in front of us without stopping and it was flying, right through the village," Slight said. "I thought we'd follow for fun, but it wasn't much fun."

Slight's passenger, Lorraine Auger, was angry that corrections workers would run stop signs and speed to hasten the delivery of a prisoner.

"They have no business putting members of the public in danger for a person like that," said Auger. "It was very close. It's a dangerous thing to do on a road like this."

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 06:23 pm
gungasnake wrote:

I would just like to point out to Gungasnake (I am sure that intelligent people already realize this) that Paul Bernardo did not harm any of the 17 people he raped during his spree. None of the murders happened until Karla was involved. 3 murders with Karla in the picture. No murders with Karla out of the picture. Hmmmm
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 07:52 pm
I'm sure he'll come up with some sort of convoluted answer for that.... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:16:55