Karla Homolka to be released July 5th

Setanta

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:28 pm
Reyn, that depends upon the state. One of the problems with missing children, sex offenders, child support deadbeats--is that these are all areas of state jurisdiction, and it is still possible for the scum to relocate and have another shot at their crime.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 04:58 pm
That's too bad. That's a program that really only makes sense if it's nation-wide. Otherwise, there are loopholes everywhere.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 07:10 pm
Homolka to me is still a big questionmark. You read the stories of grown people having their lives ground up and torn apart from dealing with psychopaths and then you figure this chick got thrown together with a major-league and full-blown psychopath at age 17. Like I say, it's a questionmark.

The party most guilty in the whole deal is the Canadian crown and whatever it views as its law enforcement arm.

In a lot of mid atlantic states, particularly Md, Pa., and NJ, to get put in prison
the first time, you've pretty much gotta be a mother raper and a father stabber and
then get on a waiting list for eight or ten years. I mean, the jails are full.

The one exception to that, the one thing you can do which will pretty much get you
thrown in slam first time, right away, is any sort of a thing which seriously
embarasses the cops and/or the powers that be. Any sort of a vigilante thing
will usually suffice.

The case of Homolka and ex hubby Bernardo is a collosal embarassment to the Canadian crown. Any reasonable sort of policework at all should have had Bernardo in prison three years before he actually was and saved several lives. The Police work in
question makes the Keystones look like models of efficiency and competence by
contrast. DNA samples from Bernardo sat there for two or three years in labs before
being tested while people were being raped and killed. They should have had this guy at about the time he and Homolka met.

The Canadian government dropped the ball every way there was to drop it in this
whole deal, and now they're planning to turn this woman out into the world with a
target painted on her into a whole country seemingly ready to use her for target
practice.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 07:55 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Homolka to me is still a big questionmark. You read the stories of grown people having their lives ground up and torn apart from dealing with psychopaths and then you figure this chick got thrown together with a major-league and full-blown psychopath at age 17. Like I say, it's a questionmark.

Some say that Karla was the major player in the murders

Quote:
The party most guilty in the whole deal is the Canadian crown and whatever it views as its law enforcement arm.

This is utter nonsense. BTW....It was not the Canadian crown that tried them, they were tried in Ontario.

Quote:
In a lot of mid atlantic states, particularly Md, Pa., and NJ, to get put in prison
the first time, you've pretty much gotta be a mother raper and a father stabber and
then get on a waiting list for eight or ten years. I mean, the jails are full.

The one exception to that, the one thing you can do which will pretty much get you
thrown in slam first time, right away, is any sort of a thing which seriously
embarasses the cops and/or the powers that be. Any sort of a vigilante thing
will usually suffice.

Is there a point here? What does this have to do with this case?

Quote:
The case of Homolka and ex hubby Bernardo is a collosal embarassment to the Canadian crown.

Do you represent the Canadian crown? How do you know what is an embarrassment and what is not?

Quote:
Any reasonable sort of policework at all should have had Bernardo in prison three years before he actually was and saved several lives.

Are you an expert on police investigation? What sentence would he have gotten for the Scarborough rapes? Do you think this would have made a difference later?

Quote:
The Police work in
question makes the Keystones look like models of efficiency and competence by
contrast.

This is about as foolish as one could expect from Gunga

Quote:
DNA samples from Bernardo sat there for two or three years in labs before
being tested while people were being raped and killed. They should have had this guy at about the time he and Homolka met.

Again, you have your "facts" wrong. There was DNA evidence from the Scarborough rapes kept for a few months. DNA testing, at that time, was a long process in Canada and cost several thousand dollars. This is now covered nationally by the RCMP, but was not at that time.

Quote:
The Canadian government dropped the ball every way there was to drop it in this
whole deal, and now they're planning to turn this woman out into the world with a
target painted on her into a whole country seemingly ready to use her for target
practice.

How did the Canadian government drop anything? How about some facts to back up your pathetic ramblings about the Canadian government in a local case? Unlike the U.S., Canada has gun laws (not perfect, but we have them) and a citizenry that does not keep a gun in every drawer and under every bed to go target practicing on other human beings.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:12 pm
Intrepid wrote:

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.............

Ask a question in a civil manner and I'll consider answering it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:19 pm
gungasnake wrote:
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.............

Quote:
Ask a question in a civil manner and I'll consider answering it.

Your usual sidestep Laughing
You mean by civil manner?....ask me something that I know about so I can give some sort of civil answer?

Nevermind, your opinion is not all that important to me
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:30 pm
Quote:

Again, you have your "facts" wrong. There was DNA evidence from the Scarborough rapes kept for a few months. DNA testing, at that time, was a long process in Canada and cost several thousand dollars. This is now covered nationally by the RCMP, but was not at that time.

Educate yourself:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/bernardo/invest_4.html?sect=5

Quote:

Incredibly enough, in February of 1993, several years after blood samples had been taken from Paul Bernardo, the forensic laboratory in Toronto finally got around to analyzing his blood. The tests proved conclusively that Bernardo had raped the three women victims from whom they had semen samples.

Had the laboratory been speedier, Paul Bernardo would have been in jail instead of raping more women and murdering several school girls!

http://www.santamonicapress.com/catalog/keystone/photo2.jpg
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 09:00 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Quote:

Educate yourself:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/notorious/bernardo/invest_4.html?sect=5

Quote:

Incredibly enough, in February of 1993, several years after blood samples had been taken from Paul Bernardo, the forensic laboratory in Toronto finally got around to analyzing his blood. The tests proved conclusively that Bernardo had raped the three women victims from whom they had semen samples.

Had the laboratory been speedier, Paul Bernardo would have been in jail instead of raping more women and murdering several school girls!

I suppose it depends on the sources used...

INDEPTH: GENETICS AND REPRODUCTION
Crime, punishment & DNA

Martin O'Malley and John Bowman
CBC News Online, June 2001

A classic instance of such a delay was a DNA sample belonging to sex-killer Paul Bernardo, which was stored in a lab for months until it was analyzed. The DNA sample had been collected at rape scenes in Scarborough, evidence in the hunt for the so- called "Scarborough rapist," which turned out to be Bernardo.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Information researched and summarized by
Monica Goswami, Andrea Lankenau, Amanda Laughter
Sonya Lineberry, Sarah Lyons
Department of Psychology
Radford University
Radford, VA 24142-6946

May 12, 1992
The police question Paul about where he was on the nights of the two kidnappings. DNA samples are taken, but he is not considered high on the list of suspects.

February 1, 1993
Police find out that the DNA of the Scarborough Rapist is a match to Paul's
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:28 pm
Homolka would have preferred life sentence for schoolgirl killings: lover
at 19:42 on June 23, 2005, EST.
LUANN LASALLE

MONTREAL (CP) - Karla Homolka regretted not being sentenced to life in prison for the sex slayings of two Ontario schoolgirls but not because she felt remorseful, her former lesbian lover said Thursday in a television interview.

Lynda Veronneau met Homolka at the Joliette women's prison in 1997 when Paul Bernardo's ex-wife was doing food preparation with fruits and vegetables at the Quebec institution. "She regrets, I think, not getting a life sentence," Veronneau reported.

"She knows that everybody hates her because of the 12 years - her deal with the Crown. So she would have been better off with a life sentence than having 12 years because she'd have fewer problems."

Homolka always saw herself as a "victim" in the crimes, Veronneau added.

When asked if Homolka ever said she regretted the deaths of Leslie Mahaffy and Kristen French, Veronneau replied: "She never said that - never."

Veronneau is a scorned lover. She recalled how she met Homolka at the prison: "She gave me some bananas."

They later ended up in the same pod at the prison and she said Homolka read five books a week, mostly crime books about murder.

She has said she was dumped by Homolka in 2001 to pursue a relationship with a convicted killer, Jean-Paul Gerbet, who strangled his ex-girlfriend.

Veronneau described herself as "a man inside a woman's body."

She said Homolka always told her during their relationship that she didn't want to hook up with another man like Bernardo and would "run" from him.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 09:59 pm
Reyn wrote:
Homolka would have preferred life sentence for schoolgirl killings: lover
at 19:42 on June 23, 2005, EST.
LUANN LASALLE

MONTREAL (CP) - Karla Homolka regretted not being sentenced to life in prison...

On a scale of one to ten for bullshit, that's a perfect ten.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1119613782333_25/?hub=TopStories

Quote:

"Both Williams and Brown found it difficult to believe what Veronneau said
about Homolka.

"Frankly, Lynda Veronneau is a career criminal with a record longer than her
entwined arms and legs," Williams said Thursday, appearing on CTV Newsnet's
Countdown: with Mike Duffy.

"To be perfectly blunt, I'd believe what Karla said before I'd believe what
Lynda Veronneau said."
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:22 pm
I gotta say it...

I've got a sort of a mental list of places where I couldn't live for one reason or another, and the reasnos usually involve the political situation in those places and in some cases the legal systems of those places or lack thereof.

This story pretty much adds Canada to that list. I could live in Russia, but I could not live in Canada.

This is one of the most singularly f***ed-up situations I have ever read about in any sort of a halfway civilized country. It's almost hard to pick a place to start. Any sort of decent police work and Paul Bernardo would have been in prison before he met Karla Homolka.

And then you get the Canadian government which largely out of moral cowardice insists on keeping Homolka in prison to the last minute of the last day of her sentence despite a high probability of her having met any reasonable standard for having been brainwashed, and THEN wants to impose condittions on her after she leaves prison with this 802.1 bullshit, and this turkey attorney general Michael Bryant talking like this 110-lb woman represents a worse threat than nazi Germany did.

And if all that isn't bad enough, you have this Robert Baltovich serving something like eight or nine years in prison for another murder which Bernardo almost certainly committed, an appelate judge determines that the entire trial (Baltovich's) was a mockery of justice and that there appears to have been a total lack of any real evidence against him, and they're going to insist on trying Baltovich again without anybody saying word one about asking Bernardo what he knows about the case.

I mean, if it were me, I'd tell Paul Bernard that if Elizabeth Bain's remains are not found in 48 hours, he's going into the general population with all the mother stabbers and father rapers and litterers. I mean, aside from all the rape and murder victims that a$$hole is responsible for, you've got one guy who is obviously innocent sitting in prison for eight or nine years on account of his bullshit and a girl who is probably innocent sitting in prison for twelve years. This is a girl who had never committed any sort of a crime or hurt anything or anybody prior to meeting Bernardo at age 17.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:42 pm
gungasnake wrote:
I've got a sort of a mental list of places where I couldn't live for one reason or another, and the reasnos usually involve the political situation in those places and in some cases the legal systems of those places or lack thereof.

This story pretty much adds Canada to that list. I could live in Russia, but I could not live in Canada.

This is one of the most singularly f***ed-up situations I have ever read about in any sort of a halfway civilized country. It's almost hard to pick a place to start.

Oh, I'm sure you're quite right, sir. THIS is so much better. It only took 41 years to get it right and for some justice to be done. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 01:06 am
I think you made your point Reyn. Gunga will probably dispute that, but that is his perogative for living in a free country where trials have become media circuses and many innocent men may die on death row. Another country has a particularly difficult case and the fury is unleashed with glee.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 04:24 am
Reyn wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

This is one of the most singularly f***ed-up situations I have ever read about in any sort of a halfway civilized country. It's almost hard to pick a place to start.

Oh, I'm sure you're quite right, sir. THIS is so much better. It only took 41 years to get it right and for some justice to be done. Rolling Eyes

Not the same thing. The KKK case shows a major change in society having taken place over a period of half a century or thereabouts, demokkkrats having gone from burning crosses to burning flags in that period. The Bernardo/Homolka case shows gross incompetence throughout the entire Canadian judicial system.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 05:40 am
gungasnake wrote:
I gotta say it...

This story pretty much adds Canada to that list. I could live in Russia, but I could not live in Canada. .

Sadly, flags all over Canada will fly at half mast today Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 06:06 am
I just spent time reading this thread and, what really surprises me is how gungas spiral ino madness is accelerating.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 06:09 am
Well, were i Canadian, i'd find this quite encouraging. Just think how lucky Blatham, Reyn, Intrepid, Montana, ehBeth, Wenchillina, Joe Blow and so many others are--they know they will never meet Gunga Din on the street.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 08:57 am
Setanta wrote:
Well, were i Canadian, i'd find this quite encouraging. Just think how lucky Blatham, Reyn, Intrepid, Montana, ehBeth, Wenchillina, Joe Blow and so many others are--they know they will never meet Gunga Din on the street.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Good one! I'm starting to feel real sorry for you guys......hehehehe! :wink:

I guess every board must have their pinhead trolls who love to stir things up by stating drivel to rile others up. Whatever, eh?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 08:59 am
By the heathen god that named you
And the Christian god who made you
You're a bigger loon than i, Gunga Din
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 09:00 am
Actually.....

Paul Bernardo is clearly either a psychopath or whatever the next worse thing THAN a psychopath might be. I wouldn't want to have to bet on what the story with Karla Homolka is. She seems to have issues to work through one way or another. If I HAD to bet it I'd bet that she was mainly a victim of brainwashing techniques, particularly after reading the story of Bernardos last one or two prior girlfriends prior to Homolka.

But I could be wrong. Like I say, I'd not want to have to bet it. IF I'm wrong and Homolka really is a total psychopath who was altogether as guilty of all of those rapes and murders as Bernardo was, then I could think of at least one useful occupation which she would be qualified for and to which she might be put which would be more productiive and humane than having the entire population of Canada out trying to be the first to bag her which is what the situation sounds like now:

U.S. Senator from the state of New York[/color]
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:21:07