Karla Homolka to be released July 5th

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:11 pm
Re: Karla Homolka to be released July 5th
Reyn wrote:
after she's freed from the federal institution in Joliette, Que.

Joliette, it is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:12 pm
Aw, you ain't no fun . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:20 pm
There is nothing fun about Karla Homolka.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:31 pm
Anybody heard what happened in court today?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:34 pm
mckenzie wrote:
Anybody heard what happened in court today?

The go back on Friday.

Link is HERE
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 08:34 pm
Lotta coverage on CBC radio about it.
More tomorrow.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:35 am
Psychiatrist: Homolka has self-esteem problems
CTV.ca News Staff
Friday, June 3, 2005
12:01 PM

A court hearing in Joliette, Que., has heard that convicted killer Karla Homolka has problems with her self-esteem, but she is not a psychopath.

The testimony came during the second day of a hearing to determine whether restrictions should be placed on Homolka when she gets out of prison.

She will leave the prison in Joliette early July after serving a 12-year sentence for her role in the deaths of Ontario teenagers Kristen French, Leslie Mahaffy, and her sister, Tammy.

Her prison deal has proven to be highly controversial, since Homolka was allowed to plead guilty to manslaughter.

Meanwhile, Homolka's ex husband, Paul Bernardo, is serving a life sentence with no chance of parole.

On Friday, psychiatrist Louis Morissette suggested that, for Homolka, meeting Bernardo is what placed her on a destructive, murderous path.

"The experts mostly agree, if she hadn't met (Paul) Bernardo, it would never have happened."

Morissette, who examined Homolka, also downplayed reports of a relationship between her and Jean-Paul Gerbet, who is serving time in a Canadian prison for the murder of his girlfriend.

Morissette said his examination of her did not supply evidence to back reports of an all-out romance between Homolka and Gerbet.

And, just as Homolka's lawyer has been doing in court, Morissette referred to Homolka by her legally-changed name of Karla Teale.

"When you ask Madame Teale, it was a kiss in the library that was seen by a guard," Morissette said.

Gerbet was convicted of murder in 1998 for murdering his girlfriend Cathy Caretta in a rage when she tried to leave the abusive relationship.

Homolka and Gerbet, who met in a prison library, have sent steamy letters to each other.

But Morissette denied on Friday that Homolka had a naked photo of Gerbet in her cell. In fact, he said, the snapshot only showed Gerbet naked from the waist up, while in a swimming pool.

If granted parole at the first opportunity, Gerbet could be released in 2008.

The rest of the story is here
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:55 am
Re: Karla Homolka to be released July 5th
Reyn wrote:

It's believed Homolka may choose to settle in Montreal after learning to speak French while in prison and earning a psychology degree by long-distance education from Queen's Univ.

Sounds like a a female Hannibal Lector in the works.

One other thing this story reminds me of:

Quote:

"If a person doesn't think that there is a God to be accountable to, then what's the point of trying to modify your behavior to keep it within acceptable ranges? That's how I thought anyway. I always believed the theory of evolution as truth, that we all came from slime. When we died, you know , that was it, there is nothing..."

Noted Evolutionist Jeffrey Dahmer.

Newt Gingrich probably said it best:

Quote:

The question of whether a man views his neighbor as a fellow child of God or as a meat byproduct of random processes, simply has to affect human relationships.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:59 am
Intrepid wrote:

You have to feel better about Harriette Lector dating a guy who's into murdering girlfriends than somebody else who's into murdering young girls...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:04 am
gungasnake wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

You have to feel better about Harriette Lector dating a guy who's into murdering girlfriends than somebody else who's into murdering young girls...

What, in tarnation, are you talking about snake? Question
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:07 am
Intrepid wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

What, in tarnation, are you talking about snake? Question

It isn't complicated: they'd be killing eachother instead of other people.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:10 am
Perhaps you could have indicated who Harrette Lector is rather than assume everyone knows.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:11 am
I gotta say it, Jeffrey Dahmer was a piker compared to these two. To find anything more evil than this story you pretty much have to go back to Joseph Mengele.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 12:27 pm
Intrepid wrote:
mckenzie wrote:
Bernardo's serving a life sentence for first degree murder at maximum security Kingston Penitentiary. I haven't heard much about him for a few years, but the last I did hear, he was serving his time in admin. segregation, for his own safety, I guess.

A conviction for first degree murder, in Canada, carries a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment, with no eligibility for parole for 25 years. They were convicted in '93, I think, so he'll be eligible for parole in another 13 years. I'm sure we'll hear a great hue and cry as that date approaches.

If the court really wanted to be certain that Bernardo would be jailed for life under due process of law, they should have tried him on all the Scarborough rapes (with no plea bargains). For each conviction the judge could have sentenced him to maximum consecutive sentences with no parole until half of each sentence was served. If this didn't add up to more than 100 years of consecutive sentencing without parole, then the court could have added similar sentencing on each of the other crimes that Bernardo had already been convicted of, relative and in addition to the murders of Leslie MaHaffy and Kristen French, which he hadn't been sentenced for then. This cumulative sentencing would have ensured that he would have been put away for the rest of his natural life. The way they did it did not.

This is one of those cases in which anything other than hanging the guy is basically ridiculous.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 12:46 pm
Gunga,
Canada does not have the death penalty. This is not the issue.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 01:03 pm
I applaud your good manners and perspicacity in attempting a rational debate with Gunga Din, Boss, but i personally consider it a futile effort on your part . . .
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 01:09 pm
Setanta wrote:
I applaud your good manners and perspicacity in attempting a rational debate with Gunga Din, Boss, but i personally consider it a futile effort on your part . . .

Sometimes I like a challenge to finish off the week. ;-)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 03:42 pm
A Quebec judge has granted Ontario's request for a legal leash on Karla Homolka. It came after a two day hearing pending her release next month.

A report can be read HERE
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:07 pm
Intrepid wrote:
A Quebec judge has granted Ontario's request for a legal leash on Karla Homolka. It came after a two day hearing pending her release next month.

A report can be read HERE

Interesting. I've noticed a lot of people badmouthing the Canadian judicial system over this one but there's no real way they could try to prepare for dealing with something like this.

This one is nothing more or less than an extreme case of ideas having consequences. The story is based on the idea of your fellow man being a meat byproduct of random processes; I have no way to picture a Christian, Jew, or Budhist or anybody who took any sort of meaningful religion seriously doing anything like what this couple did.

The one thing a government could do which might have prevented this story from happening would be to ban the teaching of evolution in schools.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 05:08 pm
Setanta wrote:
What happened to the **** that did the deeds?

Quote:
Bernardo likely will spend the rest of his life in prison, ineligible for parole. That label was imposed on top of two 25-year terms he is serving after being convicted on Sept. 1 of first-degree murder in the slayings of French and Mahaffy. He also admitted to the sexual assaults of at least 14 other young women in southern Ontario between 1987 and 1991

Quote:
The judge's decision to throw away the key ended a long and painful ordeal. The sensational four-month trial included Bernardo's homemade videos depicting the rapes of French and Mahaffy, as well as testimony from his ex-wife and accomplice, Karla Homolka, 25, who is serving concurrent 12-year terms for manslaughter. The Crown applied to have Bernardo declared a dangerous offender rather than hold a lengthy trial on 32 other charges he faced relating to a series of rapes that took place primarily in the Toronto suburb of Scarborough. He was also charged with manslaughter in the death of 15-year-old Tammy Homolka, who choked on her vomit on Dec. 24, 1990, after being drugged and raped by Bernardo and her sister Karla.

A dated McLean's article
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 06:17:27