How to Stay Married

Eva

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 08:11 am
The verdict is in.

Husbands have to say, "Yes, dear," and wives have to say, "I'm sorry." And it helps if you drink.

------------------------------------------

LONDON (Reuters) - A British couple who hold the world record for the longest marriage said Wednesday their success was down to a glass of whisky, a glass of sherry and the word "sorry."

Percy and Florence Arrowsmith married on June 1, 1925 and will celebrate their 80th anniversary Wednesday.

The Guinness World Records said Tuesday the couple held the title for the longest marriage and also for the oldest married couple's aggregate age.

"I think we're very blessed," Florence, 100, told the BBC. "We still love one another, that's the most important part."

Asked for their secret, Florence said you must never be afraid to say "sorry."

"You must never go to sleep bad friends," she said, while Percy, 105, said his secret to marital bliss was just two words: "yes dear."

The couple have three children, six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren and are planning a party soon.

"I like sherry at lunch time and whisky at night and I'm looking forward very much to my party," said Florence.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,148 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 08:29 am
This might be a funny story but really....it's true! Very Happy
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:34 am
Well that blows all my ideas to heck. I thought love meant never having to say you're sorry. Well, that was just a movie.

I suppose if the old bag--I mean, wife--stays drunk all day on sherry and whiskey and apologizes when she crawls into bed, and the old husband says "yes, dear," all is well in marriage land.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:38 pm
There are always other methods:

http://aa1.naurunappula.com/0/073/220/182693.jpg
hingehead

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I feel a touch of the Henny Youngmans coming on:

My wife and I had twenty years of happiness. Then we met.

My wife and I have an agreement. I don't try to run her life and I don't try to run mine.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:37 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
Husbands have to say, "Yes, dear," and wives have to say, "I'm sorry." And it helps if you drink.

Yes, dear.
Eva

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:25 am
@Thomas,
Keep practicing until you can say it with a straight face, Thomas.

Then you'll be ready. Cool

(Wow, this was a really old thread. Glad you resurrected it, RG.)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:28 am
We had one car and the only thing that kept us together in the early stormy years was that we never had clean laundry and the price of a bus ticket at the same time.

That makes it easy. Don't do the laundry and find something fun to do with the bus money.
0 Replies