Tulsi Gabbard Is Having A MAGA Moment After Her Debate Performance.

Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 10:32 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
It's naïve to assume that politics are about skills. It takes more than a good CV to be elected senator. You need allies and backers. These are easier to find when you've spent 8 years in the White House than when you haven't.
Sure. But none of that supports your claim or gives credence to the notion that she would have failed while these others succeeded.

Of course, but as I explained already up-thread, this sort of things cannot be proven one way or the other. So none of what you said gives credence to the notion that she would have tried to become senator (let alone succeeded), had she not married Bill Clinton and had he not been elected president...
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 10:34 am
@engineer,
Oh well, I was trying to be generous. What do you think she's trying to do with those comments on the dem primary and its various players?
revelette3

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 10:55 am
@Olivier5,
Perhaps to prevent a 2016 repeat by having another Stein (Tulsi) for Bernie or busters to vote for if their guy loses again. I could see Gabbard making a third party run to muck things up for democrats out of bitterness for the party and her reception with democrats. She is really far down in the polls with democrats. Most Bernie voters have expressed Warren for second choice, not Gabbard.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 10:59 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
I could see Gabbard making a third party run to muck things up for democrats out of bitterness for the party and her reception with democrats

But what did Clinton to prevent that from happening???

I think it's a mistake to assume some clear and positive intention behind all this. The lady is bitter, and she's firing off in all directions without thinking. I think she lost her marbles.
revelette3

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 11:03 am
@Olivier5,
Perhaps, nevertheless, I am pretty sure it was her intention to draw awareness to democrats to this very real possibility of Gabbard running a third party in the general just to much things up for democrats.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 11:08 am
@revelette3,
I don't know that there's anything the dems can do against that hypothetical threat, though.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 11:59 am
@revelette3,
I thought it was the leftist Democrats who were pushing her to run as an independent because they think it will draw votes away from Mr. Trump.

As far as I know though, she has given no indications that she has any intention of running as an independent no matter who it is that is hoping she will do it.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 12:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Oh well, I was trying to be generous. What do you think she's trying to do with those comments on the dem primary and its various players?

You think you are being generous calling Clinton bitter and deranged? OK.

As for Clinton's motives, I think on Sanders she wants to point out that Sanders is actually not a very good Senator. He talks a good game but has been pretty ineffective is his time in office. That is something that doesn't get any press but if you look at non-partisan organizations that track congressional effectiveness, Sanders is laughably low in the standings. She knows this because she was in the Senate as well and she also knows that she doesn't have any political considerations in speaking up unlike Sander's current colleagues. As for Gabbard, there is something really wrong there. There's a lot of red flags about Gabbard and Clinton called attention to it. Again, she is in a particularly good place to do this. She has no bridges to burn, no alliances to tarnish.

Other than those two, Clinton has been silent. Those don't sound like the actions of a deranged person to me.
hightor

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 12:36 pm
@engineer,
Perhaps when the field of candidates narrows, or if he secures the nomination, Sanders will make some effort to explain his governing philosophy, as opposed to his political ideology. I'd like to hear him explain how he'll entice moderate lawmakers (in either party) to turn his proposals into law. He's going to need as much support as he can get, a lot more than the "squad". Maybe he can reveal the names of some of the people he'd tap to be in his cabinet. And we all want to know how he's going to deal with a surely hostile judiciary. At some point the finger-wagging has to stop and he has to convince a clear majority of voters that he's not just promising more pie in the sky. He has to show that, as well as being serious, he also has to be practical. I don't know if this is realistic. Who knows — in order to fire up his base of Hillary-haters I half expect him to ask Gabbard to be his running mate.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 12:53 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
As for Clinton's motives, I think on Sanders she wants to point out that Sanders is actually not a very good Senator. 

I can't technically refute that, knowing next to nothing about the US legislative processes. All I know is that American commentators seem to disagree, although I can't weight the strength of their arguments either.

But what I can say is that Clinton could have made the exact same point and still pledge her support to the future nominee, whoever wins, to defeat Trump. It would have shown political tact, a capacity to forgive past grieviances and be constructive and forward looking while still critical, and her argument could have been better received by the average potential dem voter.
Brand X

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 01:07 pm
Tulsi Gabbard 🌺

Verified account

@TulsiGabbard
15m15 minutes ago
More
I love our country. I’ve served as a soldier for nearly 17 years, deployed twice to the Middle East, and served in Congress for over 7 years. If Hillary & allies can destroy my reputation by implying I am a traitor to the country I love, they can do it to anyone
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 01:08 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
But what I can say is that Clinton could have made the exact same point and still pledge her support to the future nominee, whoever wins, to defeat Trump. It would have shown political tact, a capacity to forgive past grieviances and be constructive and forward looking while still critical, and her argument could have been better received by the average potential dem voter.

I actually agree with that take.
engineer

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 01:18 pm
@revelette3,
Me too. I think that's a much better take than "I just think she's a headless chicken at this point, still running around and bumping into stuff haphazardly but already brain-dead."
oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 01:21 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Perhaps when the field of candidates narrows, or if he secures the nomination, Sanders will make some effort to explain his governing philosophy, as opposed to his political ideology.

Mathematically it is already down to Biden and Sanders. The others really have no chance at all at this point.

I suppose there is a small chance that Buttigieg will knock out Biden in New Hampshire. If it becomes a "Sanders verses Buttigieg" race I've no idea which of the two will win.

I think Sanders' governing philosophy would be to use the bully pulpit to try to pressure Congress into enacting his reforms.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 02:41 pm
@engineer,
Alright alright the "headless chicken" may have been a bit hyperbolic (or a fine example of poetic liscence, as I prefer to call it) but the point is she lost her balance here, she did come across as catty and very inprecise to say the least. As proven by the fact she later back tracked and pledged her support by tweet, but only after the outrage so the effect is lost, as it's obvious her heart is not in it.

Anyway... The effect on Sanders' popularity may turn out rather positive, and Clinton may lose whatever popularity she had left. All is well that ends well?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 03:53 pm
@oralloy,
Goodness. There's another poll out today that shows Buttigieg knocking out Biden in New Hampshire.

There are still plenty of polls showing Biden ahead of Buttigieg in New Hampshire, but what if it really does come down to Sanders vs Buttigieg?

I'll have to take a second look at where Buttigieg stands on guns. And maybe learn how to spell his name so I don't have to keep cut-n-pasting it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 07:34 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I'd like to hear him explain how he'll entice moderate lawmakers (in either party) to turn his proposals into law.

This is the problem I have always had with Sanders. He makes promises which no experienced Congressman or -woman would believe can be legislated. For that reason, and because he only became a Democrat when it was convenient for a run for the White House that I consider him a carpetbagger, and a typical politician. There's nothing new in this kind of campaigning, which is simply promising the sun, the moon and the stars to the electorate, knowing full w4ell you can't deliver.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 07:46 pm
@Setanta,
Exactly what I have thought since the 2016 election cycle but was unable to state as well as you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 08:45 pm
And Gabbard is on Tucker Carlson's show because of course she is.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 11:47 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

blatham wrote:
hers succeeded.

Of course, but as I explained already up-thread, this sort of things cannot be proven one way or the other. So none of what you said gives credence to the notion that she would have tried to become senator (let alone succeeded), had she not married Bill Clinton and had he not been elected president...

Wouldn't you like to rephrase that? You can't possibly think that Trumps third wife could become a Senator. Trump and Rudy, were falling over all over themselves with gratitude when Hillary pushed thru so many benefits for NYC. after 9/11. Trump invited the Clintons to his third garish showboat wedding, any idea why? You've already said you don't grasp our legislative process, it might be time to curtail the stale gossip about Hillary and ignore whatever the equivalent of Fox is in Italy (*If that's where you still are)

You don't have to like her, but you shouldn't possit silly notions about her credentials. You really should, should, should not criticize a person because they are smart and capable.

Just trying to be generous, K.