Tulsi Gabbard Is Having A MAGA Moment After Her Debate Performance.

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 03:18 pm
Poor Tulsi . . . I liked her a couple of years ago, but then she started showing her hand. She's way too far to the right for me, and I was raised by conservative Democrats.
blatham

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 04:55 pm
@Setanta,
As you surely know, she's just launched a multi-million dollar suit against Clinton for describing her as a Russian asset. That move alone, given there's no chance such a suit would succeed, suggests Clinton may well have it exactly right. I'm waiting for her to take a job at Fox.
Lash

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 04:59 pm
@blatham,
Good call! Clinton is enough of a Madeleine Albright / Henry Kissinger-loving Tim Kaine appointing Republican to fit right in at Fox.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 07:17 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

As you surely know, she's just launched a multi-million dollar suit against Clinton for describing her as a Russian asset. That move alone, given there's no chance such a suit would succeed, suggests Clinton may well have it exactly right. I'm waiting for her to take a job at Fox.

One puzzling thing to me about that lawsuit: How can you sue someone for defamation if the person made a (admittedly insinuating, but) general statement that one of the candidates is a Russia favorite?

Wouldn’t that be like coldcock or oralgloat suing me for saying “One of the posters here couldn’t tell **** from shinola or find their own ass with both hands and a flashlight”?

Don’t you need to be able to prove the insult was about you?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 07:24 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

blatham wrote:

One puzzling thing to me about that lawsuit: How can you sue someone for defamation if the person made a (admittedly insinuating, but) general statement that one of the candidates is a Russia favorite?

Wouldn’t that be like coldcock or oralgloat suing me for saying “One of the posters here couldn’t tell **** from shinola or find their own ass with both hands and a flashlight”?

Don’t you need to be able to prove the insult was about you?

This time you gave me a belly laugh..bravo, bravo
snood

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 07:27 pm
@glitterbag,
I live to serve
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 09:01 pm
@snood,
Clinton staff admitted it was about Tulsi. She also made a worse, more specific claim about Jill Stein.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 09:24 pm
@Lash,
OMGolly, did Hillary make mean remarks about Jill and Tulsi.....oh dear, and they had always been so helpful.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 09:26 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Clinton staff admitted it was about Tulsi. She also made a worse, more specific claim about Jill Stein.

Love to see a link from a reputable source, I'll wait.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 07:06 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

OMGolly, did Hillary make mean remarks about Jill and Tulsi.....oh dear, and they had always been so helpful.

Right? There's also the (less discussed amid all the pearl-clutching that Hillary DARE saying such a mean thing) aspect of this thing that it may be TRUE that Gabbard is a useful fool for the Russians. Can't you be an asset without voluntarily signing up to be one?
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 07:34 am
@snood,
Hillary is a Trump asset.
snood

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 07:39 am
@Olivier5,
Only because of people who only see negative in everything she says and does.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 07:47 am
@snood,
She doesn't need anybody's help to be aTrump asset. All she needs to do is keep talking about politics in the US, and Trump will mecanically benefit. She doesn't even get paid gor it; it's free of charge assistance for the Donald.
Lash

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 07:51 am
@snood,
That’s most of the country.

And, they arrive at that conclusion about her because she has great disdain for regular Americans, holds herself above the humanity of most other people, and drives this inside the beltway attitude that millionaire media types and the Third Way Republican Lite anti-Democratic Democrat Party should be the first and last word in what the American people can have and what we can’t.

She believed that democrats couldn’t compete with republicans without compromising with the evils in our country—so she and her husband made the D party more palatable to Big Pharma Big Ag Big Oil Monsanto And now we have two corporate parties who don’t give a **** about the real, desperate problems this has created for generations of people.

Life expectancy is down, suicide is skyrocketing, water is undrinkable, our booming prison for profit industry is slavery, people are dying because they can’t afford medication.

Corrupt politicians and their colluding media stooges are directly to blame.

Hillary and Bill Clinton are poster children to the masses for all of this.

Regular Americans in both parties hate these people, and have shown that at the polls.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 07:58 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

She doesn't need anybody's help to be aTrump asset. All she needs to do is keep talking about politics in the US, and Trump will mecanically benefit. She doesn't even get paid gor it; it's free of charge assistance for the Donald.

A matter of opinion. Some of her statements make me wish she would settle into a retirement of reading and gardening. some (like her very honest personal opinion that no one in Congress likes working with Sanders) I find timely and refreshing.

Only someone blind or completely deceived could claim that most of what she warned us about Trump and what his presidency would mean has come true. People determined to keep alive a bitter hatred of Clinton can't admit that.

It's a waste of time trying to reason with them.
Lash

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 08:07 am
@snood,
You find it refreshing when she lies. I guess that shows well enough what you are. No wonder you hate Bernie. He tells you the truth whether you like it or not.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/mar/24/bernie-s/bernie-sanders-was-roll-call-amendment-king-1995-2/

Bernie Sanders passed more roll call amendments in a Republican Congress than any other member."
— Bernie Sanders on Saturday, February 13th, 2016 in an a television ad
Bernie Sanders was the roll call amendment king from 1995 to 2007

By Linda Qiu on Thursday, March 24th, 2016 at 3:00 p.m.

An ad from the Bernie Sanders campaign touts his effectiveness as a lawmaker.
Bernie Sanders is often criticized for "pie-in-the-sky" proposals and impractical ideals, but his campaign argues the Vermont senator actually gets things done.

"Bernie Sanders passed more roll call amendments in a Republican Congress than any other member," according to a TV ad paid for by the Sanders campaign.

A version of this ad appears on Sanders’ YouTube channel, and Sanders has made this claim on Twitter and Facebook as well so we wondered if it was true.

The Sanders campaign didn’t get back to us, but we found that this carefully worded statement is accurate for his earlier years in Congress.

The ‘amendment king’

Sanders served in the House of Representatives from 1991 to 2006 and has been in the Senate since then. Republicans were in control of the House from 1995 to 2007 and of the Senate from 2015 to present.

In 2005, Rolling Stone named Sanders the "amendment king" of the House. At the time, the title held true with a specific qualification: amendments agreed to by record votes. (Amendments can also be passed with voice votes, in which the volume of yeas and nays dictates passage, or by unanimous consent, in which no one raises an objection.)

Out of 419 amendments Sanders sponsored over his 25 years in Congress, 90 passed, 21 of them by roll call votes. Here’s a breakdown (bold indicates Republican Congresses):

Total amendments passed
Passed by roll call vote
2015 to present
2007 to 2015
1995 to 2007
1991 to 1995
Total

From 1995 to 2007, Sanders passed 17 amendments by a recorded roll call vote — more than any other member in the House.

Ohio Democrat James Traficant came in second with 16 roll call amendments, but he served five less years than Sanders after being indicted on several corruption charges in 2002 and then expelled from Congress. If we look at all amendments, not just those passed by roll call votes, Traficant passed 72 more than Sanders.

New Jersey Republican Chris Smith, who served in the same time period as Sanders, finished third with 14 roll call amendments (and 32 overall amendments).

Craig Volden, an expert on the legislative process at the University of Virginia, told PolitiFact that records like these are rather unusual in the House.

"There are so few members with large numbers of substantive and successful amendments," he said. "Sanders and Traficant were exceptions to that rule."

In comparison, Hillary Clinton passed zero roll call amendments during her tenure as a senator from New York from 2001-09.

Overall effectiveness

In the current Congress, Sanders ranks fourth when it comes to the number of career roll call amendments passed, according GovTrack founder, Josh Tauberer. The three lawmakers who top him are Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., with 27 in 15 years in Congress; Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., with 24 in 33 years; and Rep Steve King, R-Iowa, with 22 in 13 years.

Roll call amendments aside, Sanders isn’t shattering any legislative records, though he’s not doing poorly either. Tauberer’s research places Sanders at No. 14 in Congress with 90 amendments. The other senator from Vermont, Democrat Patrick Leahy, on the other hand, has passed 226.

Of course, amendments are just one of the ways lawmakers press their agendas. Sanders has had much less luck with passing bills.

During his 25 years in Congress, Sanders introduced 324 bills, three of which became law. This includes a bill in a Republican Congress naming a post office in Vermont and two more while Democrats had control (one naming another Vermont post office and another increasing veterans’ disability compensation). Clinton, for the record, also passed three bills in eight years.

But the sparse number of bills isn’t surprising. Volden and Vanderbilt University’s Alan Wiseman assess the legislative effectiveness of House members by comparing their records to a benchmark. According to this analysis, Sanders has either met or exceeded expectations during his tenure in the House (bold indicates Republican Congresses):
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 08:11 am
@snood,
I think it goes back to people who hate the messenger so ignore the message. The message is worthy of discussion regardless of whether you like Clinton or not.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 08:13 am
@snood,
Quote:
Idiotic suits are launched with regularity and go nowhere because they are idiotic. She won't spend a lot of this (unless bad actors fund her) and she knows it will get tossed immediately if it ever arrived in court. To say that "she is a Russian asset" is the same as Conway or someone like her stating that criticizing Trump's move to assassinate the Iranian general is to "give comfort to the enemy".

This isn't about seeking legitimate legal recourse. It's a PR/propaganda move entirely.
engineer

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 08:21 am
@blatham,
Much like those MAGA students suing the Washington Post for $250 million. It's a political stunt to signal to the base.
blatham

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2020 08:24 am
Lets be smart about this, guys. First, let's understand that a key component of modern military and political battles involves sophisticated psychological warfare. And the goal of this is to sap the opponent's/enemy's morale. The target is the "enemy's" fears, hopes and drives. Pitting Sanders against Hillary and Hillary against Sanders is merely one example, it's just an example now in high profile.