• Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,714 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 11:22 pm
raw (rô)
adj., raw·er, raw·est.
Uncooked: raw meat.

Being in a natural condition; not processed or refined: raw wool. See synonyms at crude.
Not finished, covered, or coated: raw wood. See synonyms at rude.
Not having been subjected to adjustment, treatment, or analysis: raw data; the raw cost of production.
Untrained and inexperienced: raw recruits.
Recently finished; fresh: raw plaster.
Having subcutaneous tissue exposed: a raw wound.
Inflamed; sore: a raw throat.
Unpleasantly damp and chilly: raw weather.
Cruel and unfair: a raw punishment.
Outspoken; crude: a raw portrayal of truth.
Powerfully impressive; stark: raw beauty; raw talent.
Nude; naked.
idiom:
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 03:42 am
I know this word and I know it means uncooked, but what does she mean when she said she's as raw as meat? Upset? Scared? Nervous? Or something else?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:31 am
In this sentence it means exposed, naked, uncovered, on display.

Joe Nation
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:46 am
Re: raw?
translatorcz wrote:
as raw as meat in a butcher's window

What does this mean? Susceptible?

A context would be mighty helpful, T.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:51 am
yes.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:55 am
context would indeed be important since 'raw' can also denote unsophisticated, or susceptible, unprotected, exposed.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:47 am
Context is badly needed here. I'd say "raw as meat in a butcher's window" to mean naive, unsophisticated, uninfluenced (or unimproved) by knowlege of the fashionable world.
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 06:47 pm
It seems to come from a film of Hepburn:
http://www.amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0058385/quotes
So this is the context. What's the meaning here?

And I want to learn more, since it has so many mearnings. Could you please explain every meaning with a sample sentense?

Thank you all.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 07:14 pm
Okay, here it is folks:

Henry Higgins says to Eliza:

I know your head aches; I know you're tired; I know your nerves are as raw as meat in a butcher's window. But think what you're trying to accomplish. Think what you're dealing with. The majesty and grandeur of the English language, it's the greatest possession we have. The noblest thoughts that ever flowed through the hearts of men are contained in its extraordinary, imaginative, and musical mixtures of sounds. And that's what you've set yourself out to conquer Eliza. And conquer it you will.

I win. I went with exposed, naked, uncovered, on display.
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 07:37 pm
Someone said it means "Naive" or "Simple". Since the professor want to change the girl into girl of the noble class. What do you think?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 08:19 pm
Quote:
I know your nerves are as raw as meat in a butcher's window

In this particular instance, the Professor is trying to sooth Eliza Doolittle who is tired and angry and feeling most uncooperative. Her nerves are jangled. She's on the edge of hysterics.

Instead of soothing her with sweet words, he announces that her nerves are "raw as meat in a butcher's window". These are not sweet words. This is not a soothing image.

Why can't a woman be more like a man? Because men frequently lack empathy and understanding.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 08:26 pm
No, not naive or simple. More like "on edge", "nervous." "jumpy"

I know your head aches; I know you're tired; I know your nerves are as raw as meat in a butcher's window. But think what you're trying to accomplish. Think what you're dealing with. The majesty and grandeur of the English language, it's the greatest possession we have. The noblest thoughts that ever flowed through the hearts of men are contained in its extraordinary, imaginative, and musical mixtures of sounds. And that's what you've set yourself out to conquer Eliza. And conquer it you will.

Translated:
I know you have a headache, I know you're worn out, tired and as jumpy as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. But think about what you are trying to do, learn to speak proper English!!

It's not as good as the original but maybe it is easier to understand.

(How's that?)

Joe
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 10:29 pm
"Why can't a woman be more like a man? Because men frequently lack empathy and understanding. "

What do you mean by saying this? I can't figure out your point of view, Noddy.

"as jumpy as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs"

But I check "raw" in the dictionary, here are the explains, but I found nothing like jumpy or hysterical.

1 Uncooked:
2 raw meat.
3 Being in a natural condition; not processed or refined:
4 raw wool.See Synonyms at crude
5 Not finished, covered, or coated:
6 raw wood.See Synonyms at rude
7 Not having been subjected to adjustment, treatment, or analysis:
8 raw data; the raw cost of production.
9 Untrained and inexperienced:
10 raw recruits.
11 Recently finished; fresh:
12 raw plaster.
13 Having subcutaneous tissue exposed:
14 a raw wound.
15 Inflamed; sore:
16 a raw throat.
17 Unpleasantly damp and chilly:
18 raw weather.
19 Cruel and unfair:
20 a raw punishment.
21 Outspoken; crude:
22 a raw portrayal of truth.
23 Powerfully impressive; stark:
24 raw beauty; raw talent.
25 Nude; naked.

What I choose to fit in the context is 3,5,9 or 15. I'm not too sure about which to choose.
But it's not hystericstical. So what do you think? So if you think it's "hysterical", explain why,please. Thank you.
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 01:24 am
To say that someone's nerves are "raw" is a standard idiom in English, the implication being that the nerves have been "rubbed raw" by stress of some kind. So senses 13-15 in the list apply.

In this line from My Fair Lady, Professor Higgins is making a play on words by juxtaposing two different meanings of raw - "sore, inflamed, exposed" and "uncooked [as in meat]".

Translatorcz, you see how important it is to give context when you ask a question! You confused us all by not giving us the whole sentence.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 04:43 am
Quote:
But I check "raw" in the dictionary, here are the explains, but I found nothing like jumpy or hysterical.

That's because you are dealing with idiomatic speech which seldom follows the dictionary definitions. Syntinen has correctly pointed out that the speaker is using two meanings at the same time, a play on words.

When people are under stress they say their nerves are raw, or that their nerves are frayed, that they are frazzled, all meaning some kind of nervous fatigue. Higgins means that Eliza is under stress and frazzled.

Joe( getting a bit frazzled myself)Nation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:56 am
Joe Nation and syntinen have offered admirable explanations to your query:

Quote:
"Why can't a woman be more like a man? Because men frequently lack empathy and understanding. "

What do you mean by saying this? I can't figure out your point of view, Noddy.

Why are you reading My Fair Lady? Are you having trouble with the western concepts involved in the musical plot?
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 04:06 am
Syntinen, yes, context is very important, you're right. In the beginning, I just think maybe it's a simple phrase, with no other meanings. You know, if a phrase has two meanings, the context is important, but if it has only one, maybe …… So sorry to bother you.

And Joe, don't be frazzled. I'm only to discuss problem and thank you for that.

Noddy, I see the movie only for fun. But my English is not good enough to grasp all the context. hahaha.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 11:43 am
translator--

You have chosen a good way to improve your English.

Remember, particularly in fiction, context is always important.

Glad we could help.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 06:25 pm
Trans: I found an article in today NYTimes about writing that you might like:
Devoid of Content

Let me know if you cannot get the URL to open and I will post the whole thing.

It's about learning to understand how sentences are formed and how the words relate to one another no matter what language one is writing or using.

I thought of you.

Joe(words: arrows of meaning, masks of meaning, clear drops of meaning)Nation
0 Replies