"Why don't they go back..."

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2019 08:11 am
Is the expression "Why don't they go back..." neutral while ""Why don't go away and back..." insulting?

Context:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_fKDIXUEAA04CF.jpg

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
chai2
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2019 08:50 am
@oristarA,
They are both insulting.

In this case, in the extreme.
oristarA

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2019 09:08 am
@chai2,
Thank you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2019 01:19 pm
@oristarA,
Sure; the self-admitted "stable genius" who still writes and thinks like a 5th grader. Professor William Kelly at Wharton said it best. "Donald Trump was the dumbest goddam student I ever had!" https://www.playbuzz.com/christophermarlowe10/the-grammar-of-donald-trumps-speeches-falls-below-6th-grade-level
0 Replies

longly

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2019 10:56 pm
@chai2,
"They are both insulting."

You are very easy to insult; you must have paper thin skin. I see nothing racist in what he said. It might be insulting if the conditions in the countries he was referring to are not as he portrayed them.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2019 05:15 pm
As insults go, "go away" or "get out" or "go back" are pretty mild.
farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2019 06:53 pm
@Brandon9000,
except when you address an entire population, then it becomes hate speech.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2019 08:15 pm
@Brandon9000,
It may be mild to you, because you don't have to worry as a white American. It's an insult to the rest of us. All of us contributed to this country, both in peacetime and during wars. I spend four years in a US concentration camp, and four years in the US Air Force.
Real Music

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 08:21 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

1. What's next for the racist Donald Trump and his supporters?

2. Will the racist Donald Trump and his supporters start telling all black people they don't like,
to go back to Africa?
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 05:04 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
except when you address an entire population, then it becomes hate speech.

Oh, yeah, the guy who said Trump stifled freedom of speech and then fled when I asked for an example of someone whose speech was suppressed by him. In fact, I asked multiple times.

Where do you get this entire population stuff from? He was talking about four specific people. He said that if you hate the country you should leave, which seems like common sense.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 05:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
It may be mild to you, because you don't have to worry as a white American. It's an insult to the rest of us. All of us contributed to this country, both in peacetime and during wars. I spend four years in a US concentration camp, and four years in the US Air Force.

I'm sorry for your experiences, but saying that people who seem, by their statements, to hate America should leave is a plausible idea. They have a perfect right to express their opinions, but he has a perfect right to critique their opinions.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 05:10 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

1. What's next for the racist Donald Trump and his supporters?

2. Will the racist Donald Trump and his supporters start telling all black people they don't like,
to go back to Africa?

You think you can rove through the thread making false accusations and spreading falsehoods with impunity. I'm asking you to support what you said. List one (and only one) racist thing that the president has done. And don't just copy and paste in someone else's words.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 06:14 pm
@Brandon9000,
True.

It's also a stupid thing to say to four American Congresswomen.

Just another instance of Trump's bully tactics that has no place in the White House. Sure, it may invigorate his base. Some may even find it funny.

The thing is, it's tearing the country apart by not allowing creative differences to enhance or expand us as a whole population.

You may be ok with that. Although I don't see why you would be.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 07:12 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
The thing is, it's tearing the country apart ...
is Trump's MO. He appeals to his base, and that's all he expects and wants. His racism is his attraction. There's nothing else about him that should win votes. He's a pathological liar. https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/04/trump-has-told-more-than-10000-lies-since-being-inaugurated-washington-post. Would anyone trust their partner if they lied like Trump? Only his wives and daughter.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 07:46 pm
@longly,
longly wrote:

"They are both insulting."

You are very easy to insult; you must have paper thin skin. I see nothing racist in what he said. It might be insulting if the conditions in the countries he was referring to are not as he portrayed them.

The reason it is so insulting is because Trump is saying this to Americans.

Trump considers himself an American. Trump doesn't consider these four congresswomen to be Americans even though three of them were born here. Trump's father was the child of two immigrants from German. Trump's mother immigrated from Scotland.

Trump is White, and these women aren't. That is why he thinks he belongs here, and these women don't.

This is the very definition of White Supremacy. I find this deeply insulting and against American values.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 07:48 pm
@maxdancona,
White supremacy and total ignorance about Americanism and our country's history.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 10:51 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

True.

It's also a stupid thing to say to four American Congresswomen.

Just another instance of Trump's bully tactics that has no place in the White House. Sure, it may invigorate his base. Some may even find it funny.

The thing is, it's tearing the country apart by not allowing creative differences to enhance or expand us as a whole population.

You may be ok with that. Although I don't see why you would be.

False. Telling people born in America to return whence they came is clearly an error. However, to say, "if you hate our country, it might make sense to leave it and see how others live before you return," is a perfectly sensible statement. It is no more bullying than the people who call him every name under the sun.

I thought "The thing is, it's tearing the country apart by not allowing creative differences to enhance or expand us as a whole population," was pretty funny. Was it conservatives who blocked streets, smashed windows, and set fires at Clinton and Sanders campaign rallies or liberals who did that at numerous Trump campaign rallies? Is it conservative students who riot violently when liberal guests are going to speak at their college or liberal students who do it when conservatives are going to speak? I can show you numerous YouTube videos of people removing "Trump for president" signs. Can you show me one of someone removing a Clinton or Sanders for president sign?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 11:04 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
However, to say, "if you hate our country, it might make sense to leave it and see how others live before you return," is a perfectly sensible statement.
You're making an assumption that people "hate this country." FYI, the facts are, millions of people are coming into this country through normal ports of entry - legally, but overstaying their VISA. Here are the facts: https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/686056668/for-seventh-consecutive-year-visa-overstays-exceeded-illegal-border-crossings. What makes you believe Americans hate this country? The fact of the matter is, many of our allies hate Donald Trump, not our country. https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/countries-that-hate-donald-trump.html/
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 11:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:
However, to say, "if you hate our country, it might make sense to leave it and see how others live before you return," is a perfectly sensible statement.
You're making an assumption that people "hate this country." FYI, the facts are, millions of people are coming into this country through normal ports of entry - legally, but overstaying their VISA. Here are the facts: https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/686056668/for-seventh-consecutive-year-visa-overstays-exceeded-illegal-border-crossings. What makes you believe Americans hate this country?

I don't believe that Americans hate this country. I do believe that some Americans hate this country. One tip off is when they habitually blame America.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 11:12 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
I do believe that some Americans hate this country.
Back up your opinion with facts. Many Americans hates Donald Trump. Ten reasons why Americans hate Donald Trump. https://curiosityhuman.com/10-reasons-americans-hate-donald-trump/. I could not find anything on any country hating America, but many hate Donald Trump. https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/countries-that-hate-donald-trump.html/ Also, https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/dahleen-glanton/ct-donald-trump-leave-america-tweet-20190716-owiu5qoufbaajdeie3wiwseyeu-story.html.
Quote:
Column: We don’t hate America, Donald Trump. What we hate is the mess you’ve created.

Dahleen Glanton
By DAHLEEN GLANTON
| CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
JUL 16, 2019 | 4:23 PM