may, can, could

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 02:07 am
Hi everybody. I want to ask about your opinion regarding the following sentences,

-You may park you car here. (Chiefly used when a speaker wants to give permission).

-You can park your car here. (An alternative for may, used to give an idea for permission, colloquial or informal English).

-You could park your car here. (Giving an idea of conditional).

What do you think? Am I right or am I right ? Cool
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 618 • Replies: 3
No top replies

syntinen

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 04:07 am
That's right as far as it goes. I would add, though, that "You can park your car here" may not necessarily convey permission but simple possibility: e.g. "look, there's an empty space, you can park your car here".
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:33 am
Thanks syntinen
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 05:58 am
Re: may, can, could
navigator wrote:
Hi everybody. I want to ask about your opinion regarding the following sentences,

-You may park you car here. (Chiefly used when a speaker wants to give permission).

-You can park your car here. (An alternative for may, used to give an idea for permission, colloquial or informal English).

What do you think? Am I right or am I right ? Cool

This can also have the same meaning as "you can park your car here", meaning "it's possible". Using 'could' is just more deferential, less assuming. The intonation would alert us to a conditional sense or a polite sense.
0 Replies