In the pocket of Hollywood

Baldimo

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 09:49 pm
Source
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't beleive these corp whores. Using the federal govt to protect their "intelectual rights". I have never heard so much BS in my life. Screw Hollywood and everyone else who has created something that doesn't really do anything but provide entertainment. Do movies or music really make my life any better? I think not, it's mostly a scam for those buttholes to make money.

In case you must know I'm serious!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,093 • Replies: 23
No top replies

xtc

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:07 am
Re: In the pocket of Hollywood
Baldimo wrote:

I can't beleive these corp whores. Using the federal govt to protect their "intelectual rights". I have never heard so much BS in my life. Screw Hollywood and everyone else who has created something that doesn't really do anything but provide entertainment. Do movies or music really make my life any better? I think not, it's mostly a scam for those buttholes to make money.

I must say i agree with you 100%
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:59 am
Baldimo wrote:

What burr got under your saddle, Baldimo? You're always the soul of discretion. You want BS, reread some Rayban1 postings. Smile

You'll change your tune when Hollywood wants to do a Baldimo Does Iraq movie. But one thing's for sure; you'll never have to worry about needing anyone to protect your "intellectual rights".
0 Replies

benjamino

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:13 am
and just because something doesnt make YOUR life better, its a scam? i think not.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:21 am
Baldimo wrote:
I can't beleive these corp whores. Using the federal govt to protect their "intelectual rights". I have never heard so much BS in my life. Screw Hollywood and everyone else who has created something that doesn't really do anything but provide entertainment.

It's so refreshing to see someone come out so forthrightly in favor of theft.

Baldimo wrote:
Do movies or music really make my life any better? I think not, it's mostly a scam for those buttholes to make money.

So is capitalism.

Baldimo wrote:

That's a shame.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:28 am
Baldimo wrote:

I think that you're just an anything-Hollwood hater.
These buttholes earn their keep because there is a strong desire to see the so-called "crap" these people produce--regardless of the cost to the consumer.
People here pay $12.50 to see a movie in the theatre. And they come in droves.
Your opposition to "them" isn't hurting them any, and America will continue to make superheros and superstars out of common people because that's what America does--be it Monica Lewinsky, Carrie Underwood, drug abusing baseball players, or criminal record laden football players.

Quote:
After the election, I told him that he was watching too much MTV, which colored his perception of how the election was going to go. With the whole Hollywood and music crowd cheering for Kerry it was no wonder the youth turned out the way they did. Do you think kids listen to their parents in these or any other matters? No they listen to P Diddy and Cameron Diaz.

Quote:
I guess that is the point. While conservative actors don't so well in Hollywood as compared to liberal actors just shows that the point about liberal Hollywood is true.

Quote:
It could be that the left wing mediaincluding Hollywood doesn't want any one going up against their crowned price of crap!

Quote:
Try the Hollywood crowd and anyone
who they get along with! Everyone forgets taht hollywood people are rich. They get paid to lie for a living and enjoy it.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 01:30 pm
JTT wrote:
You want BS, reread some Rayban1 postings

I love this quote from Schopenhauer:

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer
German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

If you don't believe I speak the truth, just ask Blatham

:wink:
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 01:58 pm
I am always amazed that people who would never steal from a store think that it's okay to steal through the internet.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:28 pm
boomerang wrote:
I am always amazed that people who would never steal from a store think that it's okay to steal through the internet.

You're absolutely correct Boomerang, but far worse is someone who accuses someone else of being a thief without having the guts to name the person they are accusing. That same someone would likely observe a crime but wouldn't have the guts to be a witness for the police. Our current society is full of whining wimps of which I speak and cyberspace is breeding more because you can do it in relative safely behind you computer. I hope you remain forever nameless and faceless.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:36 pm
I'm not accusing anyone here because I have no idea if they steal stuff through their computer. People can be serious pissed-off about things that they don't do fercryingoutloud.

I work as a photographer and my work is protected by copyright. I have seen cheap copies made from my work. I point out that they have broken the law.

These same people would never come in my studio and steal stuff.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:45 pm
rayban1 wrote:
boomerang wrote:

You're absolutely correct Boomerang, but far worse is someone who accuses someone else of being a thief without having the guts to name the person they are accusing. That same someone would likely observe a crime but wouldn't have the guts to be a witness for the police. Our current society is full of whining wimps of which I speak and cyberspace is breeding more because you can do it in relative safely behind you computer. I hope you remain forever nameless and faceless.

...couldn't agree more rayban.
I witness kids who lack the appropriate and necessary social skills to effectively and safely diffuse conflicts.
Seems on MSN you can say whatever you want without consequence. Whereas telling someone to f* off to their face brings about an entirely different reaction than from a nameless, faceless, anonymous PC shield.

I have a feeling that this is the solace that is provided which permits many people, who otherwise wouldn't walk into a store and steal, to log in and download a movie or song for nothing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:22 pm
I think you're right, candidone.

The people who tell me they are going to steal my work are ignorant of the law. The people who simply steal it are wimps.

I'm really curious as to why enforcing copyright makes you so angry, Baldimo.

Seriously curious.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:33 pm
Why should the govt expend resources to protect something you have created? Shouldn't you take the time and money to protect your stuff? Someone used the store analogy and I say stores put in shop lifting equipment and all sorts of other devices to protect their property. Hollywood and people such as yourself expect the govt to protect your intellectual rights. Does Wal-Mart expect the govt to protect them from shoplifters? No they do it themselves and so should you! Why should the govt pass special laws to protect you?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:04 pm
Like stores, no matter what I do I can't entirely prevent people from stealing.

I have my prints made on professional paper which is printed with a copyright notice on the back. I have my copyright printed on the front of each image. I upgraded all of my special offers and give-aways to 10x13 prints because they typically create files too big for home scanners to deal with. I host my pictures for reorders on a site that offers watermarking and theft tracking. I do everything I can do to prevent theft.

Photographic manufacturing companies are furiously testing ways to make professional images unscannable. I will pay whatever price they charge for that paper.

The government expends all kinds of resources to prevent crime, fight crime and prosecute crime.

Why not on the crime of copyright infringement?

It is theft. Pure and simple. Millions and millions of dollars in theft.

And think about this. If people can't protect their copyright and make money from their work they will have no motivation to produce movies, books, music, photograpy, whatever.

All the editors, printers, cameramen, grips, directors, actors, booksellers, televison everybodys and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on -- out of work.

And it would serve people right because they'd be nothing left worth stealing.

Okay, maybe food.

Really, I'm trying very hard to understand your position and I find it imcomprehensible.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:28 pm
You are trying to tell me that people in Hollywood are having a hard time making money? I feel bad for people in the small time such as you but the people at the top of the food chain I don't feel bad for. When the actors are buying 2 or 3 houses at a time and the Execs are doing the same I don't feel bad.

For Hollywood to demand protection is silly in my eyes.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:55 pm
Demand protection?

We all pay taxes and part of our taxes goes to law enforcement to protect us. some goes to firefighters to assist us if our house catches fire.

Do rich people not deserve the services of the fire department either?

IAre you saying that if someone breaks into your home to steal your stuff you won't be calling the cops?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:05 pm
Okay. We're starting to reach some common ground.

I agree that many "Hollywood" types are overpaid, I'll add professional athletes and most CEOs to that list as well.

When I hear about any of these people being "exhausted" or about "how short their careers can be" I just wish they'd go work on a crab boat for a season then tell me about exhausted and short careers!

The fact is though - the people at the top of the food chain protect people like me at the middle of the food chain. The FBI or whoever doesn't care about me.

And it is a case of supply and demand. If people refuse to pay $12 per person to see a movie, or $50 bucks for a bad stadium seat, or $200 for a pair of jeans, the companies would have to stop charging that.

But as long as people continue to steal, the price is going to go up and up and up.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:10 pm
Ha!

It just hit me how funny it is that you have a movie star as your avatar, Baldimo!
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:21 pm
boomerang wrote:
Okay. We're starting to reach some common ground.

I agree that many "Hollywood" types are overpaid, I'll add professional athletes and most CEOs to that list as well.

When I hear about any of these people being "exhausted" or about "how short their careers can be" I just wish they'd go work on a crab boat for a season then tell me about exhausted and short careers!

The fact is though - the people at the top of the food chain protect people like me at the middle of the food chain. The FBI or whoever doesn't care about me.

And it is a case of supply and demand. If people refuse to pay $12 per person to see a movie, or $50 bucks for a bad stadium seat, or $200 for a pair of jeans, the companies would have to stop charging that.

But as long as people continue to steal, the price is going to go up and up and up.

I don't think the price hike is so much about theft as it is about making money. Have the movie studios had an issue making money? Are they still pumping out more movies then ever and that includes the really bad ones that go directly to rental? They know people will pay the money so they keep hicking the price. I don't have an issue with the money making. I hardly ever go to the movies because of the price. I usually get my Netflix in the mail and leave it at that. I only go see a movie when it is something that is really good like the new Star Wars movie. I only plan on seeing about 3 more movies this year.

I think they are being greedy and want the govt to help them be greedy. I guess I wouldn't mind the extra protection as long as they charged them for it. Charge them extra money for the service of protecting their copy righted material such as some regulation at the theaters to keep the hikes down.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:32 pm
Baldimo wrote:
...Screw Hollywood and everyone else who has created something that doesn't really do anything but provide entertainment. ...In case you must know I'm serious!

thank you baldi, for telling me to get screwed. right back at ya junior.

and i'm serious too.

wtf do you think is any good besides wrappin' yourself in the flag and pontificating your version of morals ?

you are indeed a small minded little individual.

ya got a tv? - throw it out.

how 'bout a stereo ? - throw it out.

books ? - burn 'em. that should be right up your alley.

kids got a game boy or an x box ? - trash 'em

and ya best theow the computer on the trash heap too. it and the software inside are covered by intellectual property laws.

soldier of fortune or field and stream magazines ? - same thing. gotta go.

there. now ya got rid of just about everything.

have a good time listening to yourself...
0 Replies