An educated woman.....

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 08:50 pm
Learning is key to good night's sleep

LOUISE GRAY

A NEW scientific study claims that a good education is linked to a good night's sleep - so long as you are a woman.

The research found better-educated women are less likely to suffer from insomnia - but a well-educated man is more likely to have trouble sleeping.

Globally, women are up to twice as likely to be insomniac as men, according to the findings published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.

Dr Ying-Yeh Chen, of the Taipei City Psychiatric Centre in Taiwan, set out to find if social factors could be blamed for the difference. He said: "[They] play their part, but do not fully explain these differences."

The study of almost 40,000 Taiwanese people aged over 15 examined marital status, employment/occupation, educational attainment, household income and the number of family members under 15.

Insomnia was assessed using criteria developed by the World Health Organisation and scored on a scale of 1 to 5.

Overall, insomnia tended to be more common among those who were older, divorced or separated, had low educational attainment, poor health or low income.

Having children living at home also increased the rates of insomnia.

The findings applied to both sexes, but rates of insomnia were still significantly higher among women, who averaged 1.22 points more. Sex differences were most noticeable for divorced or separated women.

Dr Chen said: "The stress associated with single parenthood, loss of income or the stigma of a marriage break-down could all be possible factors. Unemployment also exerted a greater impact on women's sleep quality - particularly married women. Sex discrimination in the workplace and childcare responsibilities could account for this.

"The sex discrepancy in insomnia narrowed slightly after taking social factors into consideration, but was not [fully] explained. The persistent sex gap in insomnia warrants further investigation."

Dr Irshaad Ebrahim, of the London Sleep Centre, said women suffer insomnia more than men for biological reasons, because pregnant women are likely to have difficultly sleeping.

He said better-educated women tend to sleep better because they often have greater financial stability, but better-educated men often work in high-pressure jobs and so are less able to sleep well.

http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=565792005
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 821 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:25 pm
It's a good thing my education is lacking as a man, cause I sleep pretty good at night. Wink On the other hand, my wife graduated from high school, nursing school and college with honors, and she has a heck of a time trying to sleep.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:29 pm
I have completed an 8th grade education, always had a zero stress job and had a sex change operation while still in my 20's yet I sleep quite well, thank you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:43 pm
dys, The nun says otherwise.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:53 pm
Yeah? well you outta hear her story!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:08 pm
dyslexia wrote:
...had a sex change operation while still in my 20's...

Damn! It must've been a good one! Didn't know they could do brain transplants way back then.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:11 pm
Nobody has ever accused me of having a brain!
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:29 pm
Since I know a couple of highly educated women who suffer from insomnia, my first thought on reading this article was that some of these studies are becoming rather useless....surely there are more important topics to research.

dyslexia wrote:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent cannot; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan, "Press On", has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." -- Calvin Coolidge --
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:33 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's a good thing my education is lacking as a man, cause I sleep pretty good at night. Wink On the other hand, my wife graduated from high school, nursing school and college with honors, and she has a heck of a time trying to sleep.

My mother always said that good sleep is a sign of a clear conscience Smile

Not sure if that's true or not, but I drop right off.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:16 pm
dyslexia wrote:

Then let me be the first.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:23 pm
Re: An educated woman.....
JustWonders wrote:
Having children living at home also increased the rates of insomnia.

Not too surprising especially when they are young and colicky or older and stay out late. Very Happy

Interesting article, JustWonders. I do like The Scotsman idea of what constitutes news.
0 Replies