Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:13 pm
I have another question for you, and i'm not baiting you. Where i live now, and in southern Illinois, where i previously lived, you aren't going to be hunting anything with those weapons. There is a bow season for deer, and a shotgun season.

What are you doing to hunt with those--rhinocerii?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:17 pm
You're still missing the key thing about those guns. Look closely.

Yes, the "cartridge" is very, very different from the Barrett....

But when they start banning calibers, you start down an extremely slippery slope. Look again please.

I'll tell you if you can't figure it out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:18 pm
Oh sure, make me think . . .

I will say that you are referring specifically to the windage . . .

(I know all that cool gun-talk sh!t, ya know?)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:19 pm
Two more hints. You can hunt with those in Illinois. They aren't shotguns.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:24 pm
Because they're muzzle-loaders? That ain't an exception in Illinois, which, unless things have changed, only has a bow season, and a shorter shotgun season. The black-powder season, if i recall correctly, didn't allow for any muzzle-loader to be used, but had lists of approved weaponse, and which i believe, had to be smooth-bore.

You could probably correct me on that, but that is my recollection.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:30 pm
This is the best i could come up with, so far:

All legal deer hunting implements may be used such as plugged shotguns and muzzleloaders.

still gotta find a definition of muzzleloaders.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:31 pm
They are modern muzzleloaders in the most common bore, .50. Cabelas sells them through their catalog.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:34 pm
http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Illinois/Muzzleloader_Deer_Season_December_1012_12090412.html

I could be wrong that those particular guns are legal in Illinois. That's one screwed up state thanks to the brain dead Chicagoans. All hail mayor Daley.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:35 pm
Still no luck, other than a statement that shot used can be no larger than #4 shot . . .

So tell me, Nimrod, what you think the point you are making is . . .
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:36 pm
Why the namecalling?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:37 pm
I'm gonna tell Joe you said that . . .

If those truly are rifles, i believe they would be prohibited. However, i was told by another hunter that muzzleloaders have to be smooth bore, and that was not the last word on the law.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:41 pm
http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/systems/Digest/2004_05_hunting_guide.pdf

Page 11.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:45 pm
Gotcha, Boss . . . as i said, it was another hunter who told me that the muzzleloaders had to be smooth bore . . . which probably arose from the fact that he had a smooth bore replica, and wanted me to take him to the Shawnee Forest in the jeep. Given that that is federal land, i told him to wait by the mailbox at the end of the drive . . . and to hold his breath . . . he figured it out.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:22 pm
My point is that those who support banning based on caliber don't know what they are talking about. We have way too many elected officials who recoil in horror everytime the issue of guns is brought up. These losers and their constituents would ban .50-caliber squirtguns if they had the chance.

California's .50-caliber ban is in direct violation of the 2nd ammendment. Those who supported the bill, including Arnold, should be removed from office.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:42 pm
It is not a direct violation, for all that you wish to suggest that it is. Knowing a good deal about fire arms does not qualify you to make a judgment of that kind.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:47 pm
Yes it is.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:48 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Sorry, I may have missed it: has anyone explained why someone would need a .50 caliber rifle?

Sure, to resist and overthrow the government if it becomes a dictatorship.

So then you admit that the only use for a .50 caliber rifle is to kill humans, right?

I'm no gun expert, but if you say so.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:48 pm
boomerang wrote:

First, a police sharpshooter fired the NYPD's own .30 caliber sniper rifle at a steel target. Downrange, three football fields away, the three shots from the .30 caliber rifle bounced off the half-inch thick steel.

"You can see it hasn't penetrated it," says Kelly.

Then the sharpshooter fired three rounds from a Barrett .50-caliber rifle at the same target.

"Went right through," says Kelly.

In other words it's exactly the sort of weapon the founding fathers had in mind when they wrote the second ammendment into law to allow the people to have some way to protect themselves should government ever spin totally out of control, or should some foreign adversary get past the 300,000 guys in uniform.

What part of "shall not be infringed" are you having difficulty understanding?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:50 pm
What part part of well regulated don't you understand . . .
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
I'm gonna tell Joe you said that . . .

If those truly are rifles, i believe they would be prohibited. However, i was told by another hunter that muzzleloaders have to be smooth bore, and that was not the last word on the law.

Nobody in America HUNTs with smoothbore muzzleloaders to my knowledge. Smoothbores are basically just replica muskets for collectors and history buffs. Every muzzleloading hunting rifle I've ever seen or heard of was rifled.
0 Replies