The Cold War

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:51 am
Most of us here came of age under the so-called Cold War.

But, what was it? Was it actually a balancing act between Communism and whatever we want to label its opposite (democracy does not work as an opposite, because, strictly speaking, democracy is a form of government and Communism is an economic system) or was it just the name for the post-World War II American foreign policy?

I want to post a bit of David Halberstam's, "The Fifties." "The national security complex became, in the Eisenhower years, a fast-growing apparatus to allow us to do in secret what we could not do in the open. This is not just an isolated phenomenon but part of something larger going on in Washington -- the transition from an isolationist America to America the international superpower; from Jeffersonian democracy to imperial colossus. A true democracy had no need for a vast, secret security apparatus, but an imperial country did. As America's international reach and sense of obligation increased, so decreased the instinct to adhere to traditional democratic pocedures among the inner circle of Washington policymakers. Our new role in the world put us in conflict not only with the Communists but with our own traditions. What was evolving was a closed state within an open state."

This is part of the chapter on a fraudulent coup staged by the Dulles brothers, John Bedall Smith, Eisenhower himself, and, a few others, in Guatemala. It involved that all-purpose villain, United Fruit; a handful of native military types; an actor and an effort to silence the NYTimes. The coup -- although it took place in this and not the eastern hemisphere -- was a microcosm of the so-called Cold War. Halberstam's reportage is, alternately, hilarious, cheering (in the sense that it shows the left to have been correct all along), ire-raising.

Reading this chapter drives home the fact that the US has been stuck in an amoral rut for more than half a century and makes plain what a slow learner this country is. Substitute the names of dozens of other nation states -- including Iraq -- that this alleged-super power has toyed with for decades and you have a political "Ground Hog Day."

The current administration -- or, maybe it was the Raygun administration -- has tried to put forth the idea that the Cold War ended, most likely, to allow it to continue to act as horrendously toward those less powerful as the Dulles brothers did. The Cold War has ended only insofar as the enemy was once the Communist states of Eastern Europe and while today's enemy is international terrorism. The more things change, the more they remain mired in the mud of deception and mired in a web of lies.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,322 • Replies: 13
No top replies

teenyboone

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 08:36 am
How true! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:07 pm
The House Un-American Activities Committee was created in1938 with Martin Dies as chaiman. A problem the commitee had was to find a way to get at left-wing writers, artists, performers, etc. who were left-wingers in the 1920s and 1930s. It was not politically correct to criticize Hitler, Nazis, or to be for our involvement in the coming war.
So, the ccommittee came up with the phrase "pre-mature anti-fascists" to describe these people.

Senator Joseph McCarthy became chair of HUAC and set out on a crusade to unearth communists everywhere.

The hearings carried out by McCarthy were frightening. The committee could summon any citizen of the United States to a committee hearing. They were not allowed to have a lawyer. They were not allowed to know the charges against them nor what the charges were. Failure to respond to any question could result in a contempt of congress citation. Hundreds of citizens lost their jobs, were blackballed. Quite a few committed suicide.

McCarthy accused many notable people of being communists or, at least sympatizers. Then he attacked President Eisenhauer of being "Soft" on Communism. Suffice to say that McCarthy was was eventually censured by the Senate 67 -22.

Do we have anything similar going on? Doesn't the Patriot Act allow the arrest and incarceration of any US citizen. No lawyer etc.?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 12:26 am
The CIA has tremendous power.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 02:51 am
Mr. Billy Falcon's explanation contains a glaring error of fact which might well lead someone intelligent, but ignorant of the era and the furor in Congress to dismiss his contentions out of hand.

First he writes, correctly:

BillyFalcon wrote:
The House Un-American Activities Committee was created in1938 . . . (emphasis added)

Then he writes, making a painfully obvious error:

Quote:
Senator Joseph McCarthy became chair of HUAC and set out on a crusade to unearth communists everywhere.

Members of the United States Senate do not chair committees of the House of Representatives. Richard Nixon built his early career around the investigations of HUAC.

With such an obvious error in place, Mr. Falcon runs a great risk that everything else he has written will be dismissed as equally unreliable.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:19 am
Interesting.

Setanta -- Thanks for your editing.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:58 pm
Setanta, you're absolutely right. Senators don't chair House commitees. I must have fallen asleep while typing. It is an error of fact. My apologies. I was too lazy to research and relied on my memory.

But, I don't think it merited a screed in response.
People make mistakes. That's the second mistake I made this year. Earlier, I thought I was wrong about something. Turned out I wasn't.

Did you get a kick out of "Premature anti-fascists." Sounds almost sexual doesn't it?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:10 am
My understanding of the cold war was basically growing tension between the then super-powers, naturally the USA and the USSR. No actual war between those two countries but a lot of little wars in between (Vietnam, Korea) and the countries involved in these little (in the sense of not world wars but not little in the sense of human casualties) were basically being used as pawns in a chess game by the two super powers.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 10:41 am
I have come to the conclusion that the so-called Cold War was nothing but a catch phrase used to sum up American foreign policy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 10:45 am
BillyFalcon wrote:
Setanta, you're absolutely right. Senators don't chair House commitees. I must have fallen asleep while typing. It is an error of fact. My apologies. I was too lazy to research and relied on my memory.

But, I don't think it merited a screed in response.
People make mistakes. That's the second mistake I made this year. Earlier, I thought I was wrong about something. Turned out I wasn't.

Did you get a kick out of "Premature anti-fascists." Sounds almost sexual doesn't it?

My response was not a screed: n. -- A long monotonous speech or piece of writing.

Although you may have found it monotonous, it was certainly not long. I just wanted to make the point that one need be careful so that one's point is not dismissed due to a single but glaring error.

I found the rest of your post very much to the point, and had no quibble with it--and yes, i enjoyed your turn of phrase.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:46 pm
Setanta, You are also right about "Screed". Perhaps I meant "such a scathing response" or "under such scrutiny"
Sometimes it pays to use simple words. I will "endeavor", whoops! I will "try" to be more acccurate.

One final point. I didn't "turn a phrase" in coming up with the label "Premature anti-Fascists." That's what the commitee called those writers and artists.

Have a happy and enjoyable fourth.

BillyFalcon
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 01:39 pm
You have a good one, too, Boss.
0 Replies

Ravenfeeder

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 10:40 pm
Most CW events still classified
What began the Cold War was certainly a policy condition between the former allies in WWII, Churchill defined the moment in his Iron Curtain speech. However, it was a lot more than simple policy disagreements and proxy wars. There was a very real, though not hot, war under the waters of the North Atlantic and Western Pacific which have barely been released much less discussed.

What put the CW to an end though was the US deployment of the Trident 2 (D5) missile. There was nothing left to the Soviets to counter that weapon, it invalidated mutually assured destruction and made further military efforts by them a moot point. That contributed directly to expanding the liberal domestic policies of Gorby which ultimately led to open borders and a freer society. And also to breakup of the empire.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:25 am
That's not a position I've ever seen advanced before.
0 Replies