FBI tortures US citizens?

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:17 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Brandon,

Pure Hogwash!

Criticizing one's country is not anything close to "unpatriotic".

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of people who don't read, or at least don't take a moment to think about posts before responding to them. I never said that criticizing one's country is unpatriotic. I said that someone who only says bad things about his country, and does that frequently, but never says anything at all favorable, or essentially never, even though he could, is unpatriotic. This is not the same as saying that any criticism is unpatriotic. And guess what? Only throwing dirt on one's country actually is unpatriotic.

How would you know whether the people you accuse ever say anything positive or not?

You have sneered at my attempt to discuss what I think is the dynamic that tends to occur in such settings as this.

Nonetheless, I think it a reasonable possibility. I also think it a very reasonable possibility that people say and think positive things about the positive sides of America in other settings - and even, unknown to you, here.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:24 pm
dlowan wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Brandon,

Pure Hogwash!

Criticizing one's country is not anything close to "unpatriotic".

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of people who don't read, or at least don't take a moment to think about posts before responding to them. I never said that criticizing one's country is unpatriotic. I said that someone who only says bad things about his country, and does that frequently, but never says anything at all favorable, or essentially never, even though he could, is unpatriotic. This is not the same as saying that any criticism is unpatriotic. And guess what? Only throwing dirt on one's country actually is unpatriotic.

How would you know whether the people you accuse ever say anything positive or not?

You have sneered at my attempt to discuss what I think is the dynamic that tends to occur in such settings as this.

Nonetheless, I think it a reasonable possibility. I also think it a very reasonable possibility that people say and think positive things about the positive sides of America in other settings - and even, unknown to you, here.

Yeah, okay. I will admit the possibility that these people post accusation after accusation against America here, never have anything at all except criticism and derision for their country, positively gloat when they can report military setbacks, but say great things about it when I'm not looking. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:54 pm
Lol - I would call your sneer and raise you 10, but it would likely be bootless and such, no?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 11:59 pm
dlowan wrote:
Lol - I would call your sneer and raise you 10, but it would likely be bootless and such, no?

It would likely be fruitless, if that's what you're asking.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 02:45 am
Brandon - no-one is slamming America. It's a great country, I love visiting. I wouldn't choose to live in America but that's because I like living here more - not that I don't like America. Of course there are things I don't like about America - heck there are heaps of things I'm not vrey keen on about my country (Australia) either but not sufficient to drive me away. But you know my federal government is a very bad government. Its domestic policies are vicious. Its foreign policy is unwise. However every three years or so when my country has an attack of democracy I vote for change - to no avail.

I don't like President Bush's policies. His domestic policies are your business. I think his threat to veto the legislation on stem cell research stinks. And it does have an effect on me because he is going to try to deny your country - with its scientists, its great universities, its groundbreaking medical researchers - from working with colleagues around the world to find ways of overcoming some of the terrible debilitating diseases that afflict all of us. His foreign policy stinks. His administration stinks. It stinks to high heaven. It is a very bad administration.

Got it? I don't hate/dislike America. I'm not anti-American. By all means tell me I'm wrong about my evaluation of your President's policies. But don't get me confused with some nutbar who can't say "America" without spitting.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:08 am
goodfielder wrote:
...I don't like President Bush's policies. ...I think his threat to veto the legislation on stem cell research stinks. And it does have an effect on me because he is going to try to deny your country - with its scientists, its great universities, its groundbreaking medical researchers - from working with colleagues around the world to find ways of overcoming some of the terrible debilitating diseases that afflict all of us. His foreign policy stinks. His administration stinks. It stinks to high heaven. It is a very bad administration.

Got it? I don't hate/dislike America. I'm not anti-American. By all means tell me I'm wrong about my evaluation of your President's policies. But don't get me confused with some nutbar who can't say "America" without spitting.

Glad you don't hate my country. It would be my supposition that the president bases his decision on the idea that human stem cell use for experiments is immoral, even if some good ultimately results. I guess he would say that you're pretending that the equation only has one side when it has two.
0 Replies