Morning misery is rife, Brits wallow in gloom til lunchtime

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 06:55 am
LONDON (AFP) - Britain is suffering a sense of humour failure, with laughter levels three times lower now than 50 years ago and nearly half of all adults unable to enjoy at least one big guffaw a day, research showed.

"The findings of this study show a worrying trend towards glumness. In the 1950s we laughed for an average of 18 minutes daily but this has dropped to just six minutes per day," she said.

Morning misery is rife, with almost half of Britons -- some 45 percent -- admitting they frequently wallowed in gloom until lunchtime.

Around 16 million adults, totalling 40 percent, said they failed to muster even one proper belly laugh in an average day.

It is not all sulking and moodiness, however, as the research found that single women aged 18 to 24 in the northern city of Manchester were the happiest people in the country.

In addition, Bristol, in western England, was named the most cheerful place for couples aged 25 to 34.

Factors such as weather, time of day and age, were all cited as being able to spark the blues.

July and August were the happiest months of the year according to three out of four people quizzed, with January the most miserable.

The study was carried out by ICM Research on behalf of Ocean Village who interviewed a random selection of 1,000 adults aged 18 or over.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 621 • Replies: 10
No top replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:36 am
they ought to have for breakfast what they're having for lunch, then.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:39 am
Haha.Wow, I laughed(all be it in type form)for a second!!

I can tell you that in the south of England on a slightly blue skyed day in a 'sitting infront of a pc with bugger all to do' position,at 29 years of age I am as down as a very down thing and it sucks.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:40 am
well at least this explains why the brits are not so happy with Bush and Iraq, they just don't have that old sense of humour.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:45 am
huh!!I dont think anybody is happy to have a member of their family die in war.

We have the same sense of humour as you guys.Some of the best comedy progs we have are american,Simpsons,Cheers, Frasier, Friends.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:49 am
I always thought the British exiled their humourless citizens to the colonies, and that is why today we are stuck with people like the Bush family and their puritanical friends.
0 Replies

benjamino

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:32 am
i think everyone should tickle a strange today and make some people laugh more.
and i wouldnt go so far as to call frasier and friends some of the best comedy we have. come on! shameless? royle family? i've not watched tv in a while they are the only two i can remember at tho, oh never mind the buzzcocks too but thats a quiz show. still funny tho
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 04:55 am
I've got the solution. We can give them Dennis Miller.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:57 am
Obviously, we need to send Gus to England.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:14 am
we just need to send Gus.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:37 am
And where is gustav? He hasn't been around lately.... <cry>
0 Replies