sea watch 3

maxdog

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2019 12:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Still not good practice even if it s also pushed by church , and that number is nothing compared to how many had entered from my last comment here.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2019 02:34 pm
@maxdog,
maxdog wrote:
that number is nothing
It's not a fact that boats are continuously in emergency in Mediterranean Sea, but fortunately many lives are saved when those children, women and men are in bad waters.
maxdog

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2019 02:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I break my heart for the children but I think the adults they know what they are risking , and they leave anyway
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 12:28 pm
EKD leader Heinrich Bedford-Strohm (leading bishop of the Evangelical Church in Germany) has received death threats because of his commitment to the sea rescue of refugees.
This does not change the plans of the Protestant Church, however.
maxdog

Reply Sun 5 Jan, 2020 03:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What does your comment have to do with my last comment that is

I break my heart for the children but I think the adults they know what they are risking , and they leave anyway

?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 12:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
AfD criticizes German cardinal over sea rescue donation
Quote:
Senior German Cardinal Reinhard Marx donated €50,000 to a charity that supports migrant rescues at sea. Germany's far-right AfD has demanded an explanation, arguing such sea missions boost business for people smugglers.

In an open letter published Thursday, Alternative for Germany (AfD) spokesman Stephen Brandner asked whether Munich Cardinal Reinhard Marx had approval from the church community to donate €50,000 ($55,000) to a sea rescue charity.

"I wonder whether my church taxes, which I've been paying at a high level for about 30 years, will be used for this purpose, even though I'm not willing to support traffickers," Brandner wrote.

The donation went to United4Rescue, an alliance backed by the Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD). The group had been seeking donations to fund a ship to rescue migrants in the Mediterranean Sea.

The AfD politician asked why Marx, Germany's top cardinal, had decided to draw on the archdiocese's funds, and demanded to know whether any of the contribution had come out of his own pocket. Brandner also argued in his letter that rescue boats in the Mediterranean were driving "more and more people to take the life-threatening route across the sea to Europe."

Another AfD MP Johannes Huber wrote on Twitter: "Marx misappropriates €50,000 from church tax money. In doing so, he is supporting the business of traffickers."

In Germany, church members have to pay Kirchensteuer (church tax), which typically amounts to a little under one-tenth of somebody's income tax.

According to the archbishopric, the money came from a special part of the Munich archdiocese's budget which is made available each year for the cardinal to donate to charitable and urgent causes as they see fit. Such tranches of funds are common in Catholic dioceses in Germany, with the money designed to be easier to deploy at speed with minimal consultation as the cardinal sees fit.

EKD council chairman, Bishop Heinrich Bedford-Strohm, thanked Marx for his donation, and told the Augsburger Allgemeine newspaper that he had received death threats as a result of his support for migrant sea rescues.

Marx was also targeted with criticism in 2018 and 2019 after making two donations of €50,000 to other sea rescue missions.

maxdog

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 02:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
can you say what you mean in brief please ?

thanks
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 03:02 pm
@maxdog,
I quoted a media report with link to the source.
maxdog

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 10:20 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Ok . Still thinking the same , they re also funding illegal operations
0 Replies

maxdog

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 02:56 am
On latest Euronews ,Migrants in overcrowded camps in Greece to be offered €2,000 to go home.

So do you really thought that we ever thought that this was a real life saving? This news says it all.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 03:50 am
@maxdog,
maxdog wrote:
So do you really thought that we ever thought that this was a real life saving?
I have no idea what you (plural) ever thought.
However, what you (singular) always seem to think is expressed by your responses.

Obviously you missed a lot when reading/watching the news:
a) those 2,000 € aren't related to anything even close to saving lives from sea accidents,
b) the children there are still offered asylum. (Which is less than I want, but that's not the topic here.)

Generally, the old fashioned Christian attitude of helping is getting less and less, fortunately some at least remember the attitude about children (Exodus 1 and 2; Gen 21,9-21 ...)
maxdog

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2020 04:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
forget my grammar

first off , although is not sea saving related is still related about if they really need cover or just they are economic workers. and somehow the boats stopped for now , is it saving jobs are not done now?

now the corona virus is changing EU plans

the bible never said help at the point that you will be in a worst position.

0 Replies

maxdog

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2020 12:58 pm
Not as I said , 110 illegal immigrants are waiting outside the africa sea shores.
As europe don t have enough trouble right now.
0 Replies

maxdog

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 06:33 am
More boats come every week and now certain authorities are refusing to make them enter when the same ones used to let them in .
So they are racist now and they were nt before ?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 07:26 am
Sea-Watch has been rescuing refugees from drowning in the Mediterranean for five years. An exhibition at the Frankfurt Weltkulturen museum aims to remind people of the issue.

Weltkulturen Museum

The collection of the Frankfurt Weltkulturen Museum comprises about 65,000 objects from across the continents and island states, 100,000 ethnographic photographs and films, and library holdings of 50,000 international books and journals. The holdings cover a wide period, including prehistoric artefacts, individual collections from the eighteenth, nineteenth, and twentieth centuries, as well as pieces newly acquired this century. The museum's holdings include a significant number of art works by renowned international artists from Oceania, Africa, Southeast Asia, and the Americas, in addition to the corresponding collections of artefacts.)
maxdog

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2020 08:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes very proud for their work . They get paid very good they say.
0 Replies

maxdog

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2020 09:36 pm
Covid 19 or not the 400 that they were out at sea had entered on land after less than 40 days at sea . It s a powerfull mechanisim without frontiers.
Bring them with proper ships if there is no way to stop this.
At least they are safe.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2020 01:16 pm
The rescue ship Sea-Watch 4, purchased by a crowdfund led by the Evangelical Church in Germany, has left for its first mission in the Mediterranean. The ship left the shipyard in Burriana/Spain, today (Saturday) and is now on its way to its operational area in international waters off Libya.
There, It will be the only vessel searching for refugees in maritime distress

The rescue ship was purchased in January by the United4Rescue alliance with donations and was christened in Kiel in February. After transfer and conversions it had to wait several months for its first departure due to the Corona pandemic. Sea-Watch is in charge of the operation and receives medical support from Doctors without Borders.

The "Sea-Watch 4" is the first time that a civil sea rescue mission is supported by a broad civil society alliance: more than 550 alliance partners currently support United4Rescue. "They all share the conviction that people must not be allowed to drown. They must be rescued. That's why you are leaving port now", said the chairman of the Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD), bishop Heinrich Bedford-Strohm, in a video message to the crew.

"We ask for God’s blessing on the crew of Sea-Watch 4 and on their important mission. May each of us, too, become a vessel of hope and instruments of peace for our neighbours," said Rev. Prof. Dr Ioan Sauca, interim general secretary of the World Council of Churches.

"Europe should see that the policy of looking the other way is no longer idly accepted," said Bedford-Strohm. The deployment of the ship was a humanitarian aid measure, but also a political sign "that we will continue to interfere". "One does not let any single human drown."
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2020 11:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The British street artist Banksy has financed and decorated a bright pink rescue boat to help save the lives of migrants and refugees crossing the Mediterranean from North Africa to Europe.

The ship, which has been named "Louise Michel" after a French anarchist, is a former French navy vessel that Banksy purchased using proceeds from his artwork, according to the new search and rescue mission.

https://i.imgur.com/I7Dw7uo.jpg
(LOUISE MICHEL, flag Germany, Size 30 x 6 m, Call Sign DCXD)

The boat first set sail on August 18 with 10-person crew and helped rescue 89 people on Thursday in its first mission, according to a Louise Michel spokesperson.

Quote:
The artist reportedly reached out to Pia Klemp, the former captain of several other rescue boats, last September to ask how he might be able to help her cause.

“Hello Pia, I’ve read about your story in the papers. You sound like a badass,” he wrote. “I am an artist from the UK and I’ve made some work about the migrant crisis, obviously I can’t keep the money. Could you use it to buy a new boat or something? Please let me know. Well done. Banksy.”

According to the Guardian, Kemp said that she initially thought the message was a joke but later accepted the artist's offer of help, with the understanding that his involvement would be limited to financial support.

“Banksy won’t pretend that he knows better than us how to run a ship, and we won’t pretend to be artists,” she says.

The Louise Michel is smaller but faster than most NGO ships used for the same purpose.

In June, three Banksy oil paintings which reference Europe's migrant crisis sold for £2.2m in a Sotheby's charity auction raising money for a hospital in Bethlehem.

The anonymous Bristol-born artist has long made works referencing the ongoing issue. Last year, he left his mark on the Venice Biennale with a stencil of a migrant child wearing a lifejacket holding aloft a neon pink flare. Other similar works include a 2105 image of Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple, with a black trash bag thrown over his shoulder and a computer in his hand spray painted on a wall in the Calais refugee camp called “the Jungle”. Around the same time, the artist also painted across several walls at the French port, including a riff on Theodore Gericault’s Raft of the Medusa, which featured drowning migrants trying to wave down a passing luxury yacht.
Source: The Art Newspaper

Louise Michel website
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2020 05:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The sea rescue vessel Sea-Watch 4 changed course in the Mediterranean on Saturday to help the disabled Louise Michel. The Sea-Watch organisation announced on Twitter at midday that the two rescue vessels were still four hours apart.

The ten crew members of the Louise Michel are now looking after a total of 219 people, after another boat with 130 people was secured on Friday. The rescue vessel has already asked the Italian coast guard and the Maltese military for help. One person has already been found dead, the crew of the Louise Michel said on Twitter.

Among the rescued were many women and children. Due to the overcrowded deck and a life raft extended on the side, the ship was unable to manoeuvre. On a video, which the crew later shared on Twitter as well, one can see the fugitives on the ship: "These are the survivors you turn your back on, EU", reads the text.

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/3S3cc6N.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QZ3e501.jpg

MV Louise Michel on twitter