sea watch 3

maxdog

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 05:43 am
was justice done by releasing captain Carola Rackete from arrest ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,710 • Replies: 146

engineer

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 06:20 am
@maxdog,
Admiralty law requires ships to aid vessels in trouble at sea provided they can do so at no risk to themselves. It was the captain's legal duty to rescue people in harms way and deliver them to port.
maxdog

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 10:24 am
@engineer,
I heard she does nt obeyed the orders of the police and kept going forward risking 5 lives of the law by smashing into their vessel . If so , it was also roght ? Spare lives to some and killing 5 others .
engineer

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 11:09 am
@maxdog,
I don't know the situation, but even if there was a collision at sea, she would have been legally required to render assistance. If you come upon someone in trouble at sea, you must provide help (see the link I provided above). That is the only fact you need to know - the master of a vessel is required to help someone in extreme need. If they arrested her for helping someone at sea and bringing them to port, that was never going to stand.
maxdog

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 11:19 am
@engineer,
But in this case , that she had put a 5 Italian police in risk of killing them i m sure she made an aggravated crime, and have to pay for her actions. this is completely different from those laws you linked about.
engineer

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 11:22 am
@maxdog,
What did the prosecutors say was their rational for dropping the charges?
maxdog

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 11:31 am
@engineer,
that she had made an emergency act to save lives , the judge is being requested to think again about what she/he had decided and don t think politically about it .
engineer

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 11:58 am
@maxdog,
But she is not "thinking politically about it". The captain did make an emergency act to save lives and the judge ruled the issue with the police was unintentional. What they want the judge to do is to think politically, to ignore the law and punish the captain. It's the same as here in the US, there are laws concerning the humane treatment of immigrants and some people want officials to ignore those laws and mistreat people.
maxdog

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 12:08 pm
@engineer,
the act was intentionally ,the police had said to her couple of times to stop. but kept driving inside them. it had made i think about 14 days waiting outside the port. it had all the time to go to Marsille in france if she really cared about the illegal immigrants on board .
engineer

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 02:23 pm
@maxdog,
She had to go to the closest port. The Italian authorities were in violation of international law (to the extent there is such a thing) by denying aid to people rescued at sea. That said I don't think the police should be tried, they were following the law as they know it. In the end, the court has to interpret the conflicting laws and it appears it has done that.
maxdog

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2019 09:24 pm
@engineer,
So because of the international law she was going to let them die instead of going to a different harbour ? I does nt seem.to me that she have interest in their lives if we put it like this . We re talking about 14 days . She could also go to germany or holland as her vessel flag country.
engineer

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 09:56 am
@maxdog,
No, because of international law, she ignored the police telling her she could not dock.
maxdog

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 10:47 am
@engineer,
All i know is an attempted murder on police .
engineer

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 10:58 am
@maxdog,
There was no attempted murder anymore than you pushing by someone is a crowd is attempted murder. The judge ruled the same.
maxdog

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 11:57 am
@engineer,
Now the judge i believe have to go to court also.accused of not following the law and go against it .Just what i think .
0 Replies

maxdog

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 10:18 am
@engineer,
by that time another 2 vessels illegally tried again to enter in italy, with that captain release and politicians celebrations for her , the message was , ok keep going with the trips .
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 10:28 am
@maxdog,
The Italian ship 'Alex' (can an Italian ship enter Italian territory illegally?) was banned (!) from docking (!!!) by Italy's hardline interior minister Matteo Salvini, who issued a ministerial decree.
The migrants on board were "finally allowed to disembark to receive assistance". (That happened some hours ago.)
maxdog

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 10:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
that s a good message for human traffickers and victims.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 10:45 am
@maxdog,
Well, you see, when I'd been as a conscript in the navy, we saved some, one time even illegally entering the GDR territory to save an US-spy from drawing.

Saving lives at sea really is a good message, not only because such is done according to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS Convention) and the International Convention on Maritime Search and Rescue (SAR Convention).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2019 10:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm still interested why you think that an Italian ship could enter it's home country's territory illegally.