Stem cell vote

Baldimo

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:51 pm
farmerman wrote:
Nope, thats pretty much me there slick.
No matter how you spread it, the Govt casts a long shadow over the entire fare. Why then is GW gonna veto if hes not against such research.

It has to do with the embryo side of the research. He has said he supports the other types of research.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:55 pm
Pardon me just a bit here Baldimo but his (Bush) statement was that he was against public funding, he has said nothing about wanting to stop the research. So is he aginst the research or against the funding of the research? I'm confident you can clarify this for me. Is it the research thats bad or the funding of the research thats bad?
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:58 pm
Terri Schiavo was on a feeding tube....she could have been taken care of at home, as well...i took care of my grandmother,at home, after a stroke...she had a feeding tube...Colostomy Bag, and a Urinary catheter. My grandmother could not speak, walk , or write. But even after her brain damage, which was extensive...she did improve. With physical therapy. So i sided with keeping terri alive Considering her parents and family were going to take responsibilty for her...
As far as stem cell research...i support it as well.
Bush did allow funding in 2001, on excisting lines.
He never outlawed it.
And there is private funding, and other countries have funded stem cell research.
So i beleive this comes down to americas pride as far as wanting to be the first to acomplish everything. I think GWB may be smarter than most ppl think. I for one am not religious by any means. But what if something went terribly wrong? When do you draw the line on messing with mother nature? What if some crackpot scientist used the research in malicious ways. What if our military decided they would use the research for there own agenda to create super humans? lol Who's fault would it be? I think all GWB is doing, is washing his hands of it, before it becomes a bad issue. Would be nice if we could trust all ppl to do the right things, but you can't!!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:03 pm
There was this guy once upon a time that had this really weird idea about taking germs of some disease and sticking them into a persons body under the sicko idea that it might prevent them from getting the disease. The idiot never backed off even when someone pointed out to him "your messing with mother nature you fargin' bastich, you don't know what could go wrong"
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:04 pm
Yeah, thats true....but the research is being done...its not like anyone is just turning their back on it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:09 pm
well of course your right and as I was saying to Tico just the other day, seems like I remember Jonas Salk saying something like "public funding? we don't need no public funding, it's not like polio is a serious problem anyway, we can just work in my basement for a couple hundred years and I'm sure we can work out a cure for this without public funding" well, anyway thats what I think he said cause I wasn't actually there at the time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:12 pm
I knew Jonas well. You wouldn't want to hear his actual words. Even I, his closest personal friend blanched at the tirade he unleashed that day.
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:17 pm
LOL...Smile i'm sure whatever cures that are going to come out of the research will come to the surface soon.
And i bet as soon as progress is made somewhere, we will join the race.
But i think GWB is concerned about what we know now about stem cells...is that we can clone ppl.
And the fact that its taken from embryo's. I think he wants to see the good outweigh the bad, in this case, before the federal Gov. gets their hands in it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:23 pm
Ive been involved with research that , as part of the contract, we had to let the funding org know what wed find> That was damn hard. Applied research is different , the " concept" has been proven, and its still damn hard. In this arena, where we dont know where were headed or what well find, the Lockstep Bushies, are being almost Midieval in their mindset.
In stem cell research, buying into crap about existing lines, or umbilical blood, or adult stem cells, Limits what the outcomes will be. Such lines are already diffrerentiated to their max.
The rest of the world will lead the way I suppose, and by conducting the research , they will provisde us with the cures , which , Im sure, if another Bush is in the seat, he will veto any use of Medicare to pay for treatments that can cure a disease if the cure came from "stem cell tissue"

Im amazed how the Bush crowds never seem to be at odds with this guy, even when hes being a total idiot. Is it some mass hypnosis?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:23 pm
Right. Oh yeah and those fruitcake religious nutcases that funded/voted for him. But yeah you are probabnly right good ole george is just actually concerned that bad things will go down from all this weird science stuff cause that Geroge he's righ ton top of that science stuff, I heard him once say he personally met Bill Nye the Science Guy.
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:31 pm
LOL, i'm not a die hard bush supporter....actually i detest the war, how it came about ect....
I didn't like saddam either, i'm glad he's out of power.

but it doesn't outrage me that he doesn't support federal funding on this issue.
Heck, i am for federal funding. But i can see why bush is reluctant also, and i don't hate him for it.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Pardon me just a bit here Baldimo but his (Bush) statement was that he was against public funding, he has said nothing about wanting to stop the research. So is he aginst the research or against the funding of the research? I'm confident you can clarify this for me. Is it the research thats bad or the funding of the research thats bad?

From what I could tell it was the embryo research itself. Who know I would have to look around to be sure. That is what I gathered.

Who knows though. He might not have an issue with private funding for the embryo research.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:41 pm
Ok, thats what I understood after listening to him on the telly, He was only against using public funding.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:52 pm
If he has no issue with private funding , why is Congress even bothering to take these steps to secure legislation? Why not merely amend the IRS codes to include the stipulation on " rapid expensing " R/D on stem cell work to a greater degree?
No , IMHO, this is a seachange case . A "highwater"mark for the evangelicals, who are so emboldened and full of themselves with this clown that they wish to take on everything in science from the definition of human life, to challenging
the decay rates of radioactive isotopes
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:59 pm
i'm so confused after reading the last post *cry*
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:02 pm
I heard a discussion today on "Science Friday" about stem cells research and ethics. I learned an interesting fact that a fertilized blastocyst has only about a 50/50 chance of implanting on the uterine wall. , and Of the in vitrofertilization procedures, about 60% of viable embryos are dumped .
First why not harvest pre implan blastocysts and , why arent the "anti stem cell folks" screaming about in vitro embryo dumping
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:04 pm
Also, some religions do define the point of the beginning of life. Islam and Judaism say 40 days after conception
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:41 pm
farmerman wrote:
Also, some religions do define the point of the beginning of life. Islam and Judaism say 40 days after conception

The last thing you want is religion telling you when life begins. Would you accept that? I can see it now, the govt saying abortion is now longer allowed after 40 days because the Bible, Quran and Torah all say that is when life begins. You think you hear people complaining now about religion and politics wait tell that happens. Theocracy here we come. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies