Inflation is now determined by the feds to be with us

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:28 pm
There are advantages to living where I do....besides the natural beauty of the place and the convenient size of the city (read: 30 minutes to anywhere in town.) You can live a lot better here on a lot less money. See what $750,000 can get you in Tulsa...

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?snum=2&mlsttl=Tulsa&frm=bycomm&pgnum=1&mls=tulsa&js=on&poe=realtor&st=ok&areaid=1020888&typ=1&mnprice=750000&mxprice=800000&mnbed=0&mnbath=0&mnsqft=0&ss_mitm=n%2Fa&sid=04C47DB63985C&snumxlid=1044011965&lnksrc=00001
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:32 pm
Sorry, that link didn't work. Try this one.

http://www.homesandlandtulsa.com/Magazine/Listing.cfm?MagId=0868&ListingId=8006796&

This one's in my neighborhood. (No, my home isn't quite that grand.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:48 pm
I would venture to say that a home like that in the greater bay area would cost about two million bucks - if not more.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:55 pm
More, c.i.

That's in an extremely desirable neighborhood, with historic value.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:58 pm
Our 'home' has historic value too! It's over 50 years old. LOL
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:20 pm
<LOL> Funny!

Oklahoma is such a young state. We're not even 100 years old. We'll celebrate our centennial in two years. Tulsa was little more than a railroad stop for the Indians until oil was discovered in the late 1910s. The city boomed in the '20s, and we have some outstanding Art Deco architecture because of it. Anyway, there is very little here that dates before 1920. The house shown in my link was built by one of our dozens of oil millionaires in the mid-'20s, so for around here, that makes it historic. It's in a National Register area. Location, location, location.

If you wanted to spend that $750,000 on new construction in the suburbs, however...WELL! I'll go find you another link.

The relative lack of history here is undoubtedly what causes my attraction to Europe and its TRULY old buildings and culture. If I lived in a place with centuries of well-documented history, I'd probably be fascinated by the new.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:04 am
Eva, There are so many places in Europe that will meet your desires for old and new architecture. I was in Berlin a couple of weeks ago, and East Berlin is now more or less completely renovated from the war. Their architecture is beautiful. Unfortunately, places like Checkpoint Charlie that used to have the feel of WWII no longer feels that way with all the new commercialized buildings, and Checkpoint Charlie just sits on a slap of cement in the middle of the road. The surrounding is all wrong. I was there many years ago, and it still had the feeling of the forties. That feeling is now gone.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:27 pm
Setanta wrote:
It would seem that happy pills will soon bankrupt you . . . better you give up eating . . .
Would Pot be cheaper?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:01 pm
Just don't take it to Bali.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:52 pm
Hmm. Berlin? Never really thought about going there. Hmm. Berlin! Thanks, c.i.!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 05:55 am
It's location ,location. That is what you pay for not the house itself. An apartment on fifth Ave Manhattan costs a heck of lot more than a house in suburban Queens.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:21 am
au, You are right, ofcoarse. When I worked in retail, the management in Chicago always repeated that refrain, "location, location, location, and location" above all else. That's the reason why we used to see Florsheim Shoe Shops where the most traffic would walk in shopping malls. Unfortunately, Florsheim went bankrupt about two years ago, because all shoe production was moved to Asia about two decades ago.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 11:18 pm
Eva wrote:

The relative lack of history here is undoubtedly what causes my attraction to Europe and its TRULY old buildings and culture. If I lived in a place with centuries of well-documented history, I'd probably be fascinated by the new.

Here's some history for you Eva........

This one is in an area that is predominately Thatched and Tudor/Stewart (16th and 17th Century).
You will feel quite at home, as this is where the U.S. bomber crews were stationed during WW2, so most of the locals are no doubt half American.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-6450452.rsp/svr/2005;jsessionid=59C97A9809B1BE850B59511D8B7EA71B?pa_n=2&tr_t=buy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 11:21 pm
You sure an early riser, Lorddeliverusfromevilamen . . .

Do you like poesie?

If so, drop by here . . .
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 12:08 am
I noticed in Rual ME, houses are very cheap, except for the Lake Front properties, in NJ the property taxes are like over $300,000. I could by a Mansion in ME on Lake Front property for that price.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 01:09 pm
The latest from Chairman Greenspan:

June 9, 2005
Greenspan Says Economy Is Healthy, With Some Caveats
By JENNIFER BAYOT
While the economy stands on "reasonably firm footing," home prices in some local markets have climbed to "unsustainable levels" and may even be poised for declines, Chairman Alan Greenspan of the Federal Reserve warned today in testimony before Congress.

"Although a bubble in home prices for the nation as a whole does not appear likely, there do appear to be, at a minimum, signs of froth in some local markets," he said.

Mr. Greenspan also repeatedly expressed puzzlement at the persistence of low long-term interest rates like those on mortgages, suggesting that the low-cost loans that have fueled the housing market may also be untenable.

"This is clearly without recent precedent," he said, calling the rates "among the biggest surprises of the year."

Still, the Federal Reserve remains focused on containing inflation, he said, and will continue to raise rates "at a pace that is likely to be measured." So far, that has meant quarter-point increases at each meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee. The next session is scheduled for June 29-30.

Speaking before the Joint Economic Committee, Mr. Greenspan devoted much of his prepared remarks to describing risks to the economy's growth.

Households are saving almost nothing, and sharply higher oil prices have reduced the country's purchasing power, he said. Meanwhile, other countries are providing more and more of what Americans do buy, and exports are sputtering, widening the trade gap to record levels.

"We are, at best, in only the earliest stages of a stabilization of our current account deficit - a deficit that now exceeds 6 percent of U.S. gross domestic product," Mr. Greenspan said.

Also looming over the economy, he warned time and again today, is the impending retirement of the baby boomers. "Remember that the baby boom generation was followed by the baby bust generation," he said, meaning that fewer workers will be in force to help support retirees.

On a more optimistic note, Mr. Greenspan as usual outlined several factors that make a national housing bubble unlikely - that housing markets are local, that homes prices vary and that most people must move in order to sell a home.

But he also expressed concern that the turnover on homes had quickened and that the purchase of second homes, whether for investment or vacation, seemed to account for much of the increase.

"This suggests that speculative activity may have had a greater role in generating the recent price increases than it has customarily had in the past," Mr. Greenspan said. And although "we certainly cannot rule out home price declines, especially in some local markets," the economy would likely take the local price corrections in stride, he said.

Still, Mr. Greenspan said that the economy had continued to improve over the last year - the gross domestic product has risen at a respectable pace, and the unemployment rate has dropped - and that a slowdown reflected in several dour economic readings for early spring appears to have been short-lived.

"Despite some of the risks that I have highlighted, the U.S. economy seems to be on a reasonably firm footing, and underlying inflation remains contained," he said.

The bond market sold off during Mr. Greenspan's testimony, sending the yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note as high as 4 percent. But prices later rebounded, and the yield slipped back to 3.97 percent, compared with 3.93 percent on Wednesday.

The stock market was up modestly in afternoon trading.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:44 pm
A non-upgraded 3BR/2BA home with a tiny little 70's crap kitchen just sold for $1.2M just a short distance from where I live. That, people, is just stupid. I hope they lose their shirt. Our friends, who live next door to that home, bought their identical (now upgraded) home for $270K just 10 years ago. Of course they're thrilled, but still shocked.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:48 pm
What's really shocking is the fact that we now have million dollar homes selling in our community, and they aren't even 'mansions.'
0 Replies