Tillman: Another military blunder

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 08:38 am
Geez....

Quote:
More than a year after their son was shot several times by his fellow Army Rangers on a craggy hillside near the Pakistani border, Tillman's mother and father said in interviews that they believe the military and the government created a heroic tale about how their son died to foster a patriotic response across the country.......

....Immediately, the Army kept the soldiers on the ground quiet and told Tillman's family and the public that he was killed by enemy fire while storming a hill, barking orders to his fellow Rangers. After a public memorial service, at which Tillman received the Silver Star, the Army told Tillman's family what had really happened, that he had been killed by his own men.......

......A series of military investigations have offered differing accounts of Tillman's death. The most recent report revealed more deeply the confusion and disarray surrounding the mission he was on, and more clearly showed that the family had been kept in the dark about details of his death.

The latest investigation, written about by The Washington Post earlier this month, showed that soldiers in Afghanistan knew almost immediately that they had killed Tillman by mistake in what they believed was a firefight with enemies on a tight canyon road. The investigation also revealed soldiers later burned Tillman's uniform and body armor.

Source

Can this war waged by this administration become any worse?
This is just another tidbit that surfaces to the masses...imagine what still remains deep in the bowels of the classified.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,300 • Replies: 24
No top replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 09:06 am
The Tillman story is that of a colossal American tragedy.........not so much because of the obvious blunders by his unit in initially lying about the circumstances, but because we will never know what this truly courageous patriot might have accomplished.

Your biased hysteria about the grief wrought upon the Tillman family by the inept and incompetent handling of this tragedy by the Military is not useful. The zeal of your shallow attempt to embarrass the US military and the administration should bring scorn for you because it highlights the lowest standard of the critics of this country. Your motives for bringing this up compares with the sickeningly hateful motives of the Paparazzi who hounded Dianna to her death. Congratulations, you have joined an elite crew of scoundrels.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 09:57 am
rayban1 wrote:

The Tillman story is that of a colossal American tragedy.........not so much because of the obvious blunders by his unit in initially lying about the circumstances, but because we will never know what this truly courageous patriot might have accomplished.

I would disagree.
I think he demonstrated the highest degree of courage and patriotism in giving up what many would regard as an enviable position in life. What he might have accomplished misses the point entirely.
What he did in fact accomplish and what in fact took place in bringing about his demise is the point of this thread.
He gave up his life for a country who couldn't give his family, his reputation and his life the consideration it deserved, and they lied about the circumstances of his death in another attempt to make a martyr for this misguided cause.

rayban1 wrote:

Your biased hysteria about the grief wrought upon the Tillman family by the inept and incompetent handling of this tragedy by the Military is not useful. The zeal of your shallow attempt to embarrass the US military and the administration should bring scorn for you because it highlights the lowest standard of the critics of this country.

This is hardly hysteria...and are you suggesting that it is biased because I don't applaud the pathetic attempts of this administration to mask the low standards they continue to hold themselves to?

rayban1 wrote:

Your motives for bringing this up compares with the sickeningly hateful motives of the Paparazzi who hounded Dianna to her death. Congratulations, you have joined an elite crew of scoundrels.

...and I think this is an hysterical analogy.
The Bush administration should be guilty as you have charged me.

*edited to correct italics above*
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:28 am
Equivocate any amount and direction that you choose but the fact that you posted this account is evidence that you delight in any form of criticism of this country, the administration and the US military. I do not know your motives but your use of this subject is highly odious and offensive.

Don't expect any further responses from me..........I want to take a shower with the hope that I can wash off the stink
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:05 am
rayban1 wrote:
Equivocate any amount and direction that you choose but the fact that you posted this account is evidence that you delight in any form of criticism of this country, the administration and the US military. I do not know your motives but your use of this subject is highly odious and offensive.

Don't expect any further responses from me..........I want to take a shower with the hope that I can wash off the stink

When one's perceptions conflict with another's, it is far simpler to criticize their motives, and disregard their interpretation and viewpoint as stink.

Scrub hard.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:59 am
Thanks for bringing this to my attention Candidone. I had never heard of this whole thing before, as it either had minimal, or no coverage whatsoever in the UK.

It may be old news to most of the A2K American members, but I certainly knew nothing about it.

Where can I find a good newsworthy (unbiased) link, so that I can read up on the matter?

I wont make further comment, as it is obviously a very emotive subject, and I would hate to blunder in with only 10% of the facts.

A link would be appreciated, but I will try Googling in the meantime.
Thanks.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 11:59 am
The U.S. is still wagging the dog. What an inhumane thing to do to the parents of a boy who believed the lie about the U.S. fighting for democracy.

The Tillmans have been slapped in the face for believing in the George Bush cause.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 12:51 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Thanks for bringing this to my attention Candidone. I had never heard of this whole thing before, as it either had minimal, or no coverage whatsoever in the UK.

It may be old news to most of the A2K American members, but I certainly knew nothing about it.

Where can I find a good newsworthy (unbiased) link, so that I can read up on the matter?

I wont make further comment, as it is obviously a very emotive subject, and I would hate to blunder in with only 10% of the facts.

Thanks.

Here's a few:
Editor & Publisher
Arizona Central
TSN-The Sports Network-Canada
Here & Now

Original Story-April 26, 2004
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 01:46 pm
Atkins wrote:
The U.S. is still wagging the dog. What an inhumane thing to do to the parents of a boy who believed the lie about the U.S. fighting for democracy.

The Tillmans have been slapped in the face for believing in the George Bush cause.

Atkins

May I ask how anyone can be asked to take you seriously when your comments immediately identify you as a rabid, foaming at the mouth, America/Bush hater?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 01:56 pm
Tillman's parents say the Army used the untrue story of their son's death as a patriotic counterpoint to the Abu Ghraib story that was erupting at the same time. They may be right.

Especially the conservatives defended the military on Abu Ghraib, whose abuses were said to be depraved actions of a few soldiers
And we were made belief that they were promptly and thoroughly investigated by the Army itself.

So, is the Tillman case on the same level?
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 01:58 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Thanks.

Ellpus

While you are trying to sort out the facts, let me provide a few details that surfaced light last night from one of Fox's retired military investigators. Initially the coverage started at Tillman's Regimental level. One can only speculate at the reasons but probably over embarrassment and guilt that such a thing could happen to anyone let alone anyone of Tillman's stature as a patriot.
By the time the coverup was discovered, unspeakable damage had already occured and the rest is history.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 02:13 pm
Many thanks for the links posted here, and the one's sent by PM....unfortunately I cant PM at the mo, so I'll just say thanks in public.

I now have some reading to do....think I'll make a cup of tea.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 02:38 pm
rayban1 wrote:
Atkins wrote:

Atkins

May I ask how anyone can be asked to take you seriously when your comments immediately identify you as a rabid, foaming at the mouth, America/Bush hater?

In the same way some of us take the foaming at the crotch Bush lover seriously.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 02:50 pm
candidone1 wrote:
rayban1 wrote:
Atkins wrote:

Atkins

Hey.....stay away from my crotch or are you a beautiful young lady posing as macho college freshman taking political science 101
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 02:52 pm
rayban1 wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
rayban1 wrote:
Atkins wrote:

Atkins

Hey.....stay away from my crotch or are you a beautiful young lady posing as macho college freshman taking political science 101

Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:44 pm
What happened to Tillman is indeed a tragedy. It is by no means typical of the US Army. It was indeed an accident and a little shameful that his battle buddies tried to hide what happened in the very beginning.

It is sad to hear that is battle buddies were not honest at first but I can kind of understand how they felt. First they felt stupid then shame and last fear. It doesn't excuse them for the stupid mistake but don't be to hard on them they have to live with the fact that they killed one of their own. I know for me that would be more then enough punishment because jail wouldn't do it. Knowing I'm alive and that he was dead would do the job.

I feel bad for his family and hope that they can find in their hearts to forgive those soldiers.

Tillman wasn't fighting in Iraq, he was in Afghanistan. According to most of you that is the proper place to be fighting. So don't switch your position just because it makes you look like some Admin hating hero.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:45 pm
I was right there with ya, Baldimo . . . until your last line.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:59 pm
Setanta wrote:
I was right there with ya, Baldimo . . . until your last line.

Can't win them all the time. At least I had you for the most importpart part of the post.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:00 pm
Without doubt, and up to the last line, you have written sentiments with which i could not agree more.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 07:49 am
rayban1 wrote:
Atkins wrote:

Atkins

We could ask the same thing of McGentrix, Timberlandko, et al. However, we all have very good reasons to hate George Bush. I think your level of sensitivity as well as your awareness need checking.
0 Replies