My neighbor's are moving and they're taking their kids

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:33 pm
Yeah, they did the big hugging, "I'll miss you"ing, tear shedding thing.

So, fingers crossed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:34 pm
Oh, that sounds really promising then boomer.

In general, too. That's got to be a huge step for Mo, that he can deal with this kind of loss so effectively. Not ignoring it, not freaking out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 01:15 pm
I agree with Soz--Mo has moved forward in dealing with heart-wrenching loss. You survived the trauma and now you can pat yourself on the back--briefly. Life is full of one damn thing after another.

Hold your dominion.

P.S. Some long talks about how great Mo's picture is going to look on Curly's bulletin board would probably be helpful. "Just think Mo, out in the Great State of X people will see that picture and know you were Curly's Best Friend in Oregon."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:17 pm
Well when you put it like that, I do think we've made some progress.

I really tried not to sugar coat it while still making the whole damn thing understandable.

Before they left Ms. Stooge was showing Curly the photo of Mo and talking about how they could put it up in his room. Curly really dug it.

I want to do one of those "quothos" things about friends to put on one of the photos I took today so I need a cool quote about friends if you happen to know any.

Speaking of one thing after another. His mom called wanting to pick him up for a while this afternoon - a gang of friends were attending the opening of the new participatory fountain in one of the parks so I let him go.

I hope I haven't signed myself up for a day of bull-oney tomorrow after such a tearful one today.

<sigh>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:24 pm
I have a friend quote floating just outside graspability -- it was on a card my best friend sent me, I'll see if I can find it.

Meanwhile, a couple results of a quick search:

If you have one true friend, you have more than your share.
--Thomas Fuller

True friends are always together in spirit.
-- Lucy Maud Montgomery

A friend is a person who knows what you are saying, even if you're not talking.
-- Sarah Bennett

How lucky I am to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye to.
-- Unknown
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:25 pm
(Aw, that last one makes me cry... still miss 'em. *sniff*)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:33 pm
not at all the right thing, but i still had to share

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/120404/you-can-pick-your-friends.gif
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:48 pm
Soz, that last one is great. That one would probably work very very well.

eBeth! You knucklehead.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:51 pm
Cool

I tried googling "friends are" and sure got some funny (funny odd) stuff. Lots about bodily functions. What does that mean?

Boomer, is Mo a friend of Clifford? There's lots of Clifford/friends are stuff out there.

ok - and my last (maybe)

goofball entry

http://www.superlaugh.com/1/friendsdo.htm

(and I'm not lying when I say a lil bit of it made me a lil bit sad)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:53 pm
You should move to the same place.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:15 pm
eBeth! That's darling. I think I'll email that to them next week.

They are staying in state, but not easy traveling distance with kids, so we might get to see them once in a while but you know how that goes. No way am I moving there! I'll live in Portland until I get to retire to Wheeler and then I'm done.

Since we're all here....

Get this -

Other mom picked him up to take him to the play in fountain and Mo wouldn't get in the water.

Mo!?

He absolutely loves the water. We swim all of the time. He plays in the sprinkler. I have to beg him to get out of the shower or bathtub (and often he has to have shower and bath).

Mo wouldn't get in the water?

Weird.

What do you make of that?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:50 pm
My first thought is a power play on his part -- nothing about preferences but some kind of "you want me to but I'm not gonna." Some sort of testing, "what happens if I don't do what you want me to do?" sort of thing.

Maybe.

At least, that's what it seems a lot of nonsensical "no"s tend to be about -- not eating a favorite food et al. They tend to be less about the usually-enjoyed activity and more about some sort of power dynamic.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:51 pm
Maybe he's just feeling out of sorts? Too many feelings and sensations for today?

I didn't weigh in earlier, but I too think that it sounds like Mo is making progress. You handled the friend moving situation really well.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:51 pm
Oh, good point, soz.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 02:29 pm
Power...power....power....

I hope Mo's "mom" has resolved enough of her own power issues that she behaved like a grownup.

Of course a petty person could have wished that Mo made it to the center of the fountain, stripped himself stark naked and refused to come out.

Mo is learning levels of power....so much for a fly, so much more for an elephant.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 02:46 pm
That does make a lot of sense.

It's good that he feels like he has some control over things.

This morning though, we was going on and on about how his mom was going to pick him up today to spend the whole day with him.

It took me a while to convince him that "No, she isn't".

Then we had to ride his bike around to Curly's house to see "if they were really gone". "Yes, they are."

In both cases he seemed to resolve whatever was bugging him without a lot of drama.

Good.

Now, if I could just find the aliens who kidnapped Mr. B and sucked out his brains and resolve my conflict over Mrs. Doctor Death I might be able to get out of this X-Files episode and get on with my life.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 03:26 pm
If you still want a friend quote then there's one which is something like

"a friend is one soul dwelling in two bodies"

but i'm not sure if that's a little deep for the tinies
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 03:39 pm
One thing I discovered through my youngest stepson who was coping ineptly with his natural mother's lies...

(For example, she'd get dressed and leave the house at 10 at night--never mind why a 6-year-old was still awake--explaining to the kids that she had to go out--she had a dentist's appointment.

.....the youngest stepson had considerable trouble grasping that saying something didn't make it so. Wonderful Wonderful Mom was always going to take them someplace expensive on next weekend....he wanted to have done his homework, so he just said that he did it....he didn't want to be a kid who messed his pants so he stuffed the stinking mess at the bottom of his bed....

Mo is making great strides on establishing for himself that what he wants isn't necessarily reality--that wanting is all well and good, but many, many circumstances are beyond his control.

He's learning some very valuable lessons about the nature of the universe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:44 pm
Noddy, your experience is such a help to us all...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:02 pm
osso--

Thanks for the kind words. Stepmotherhood isn't always an easy education.
0 Replies