Virgil's Messianic Eclogue

lovely

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 06:07 pm
Please HELP me with translated Virgil's Messianic Eclogue. I have done some of it but some of the words i don't know.

Venit iam magna aetas nova; de caelo mittitur puer, qui vita deorum habebit deosque videbit et ipse videbitur ab illis. hic puer reget mundum cui virtutes patris pacem dederunt. pauca mala, autem, remanebunt, quae homines iubebunt laborare atque bellum asperum gerere. ernt etiam altera bella atque iterum ad Troiam magnus mittetur Achilles. tum, puer, ubi iam longa aets te virum fecerit, erunt nulli labores, null bella; nautae ex navibus discedent, agricolae quoque iam agros relinquent, terra ipsa ominbus hominibus omnia parabit. currite, aetates; incipe, parve puer, scire matrem, et erit satis spiritus mihi tua dicere facta. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 11,726 • Replies: 7
No top replies

moondoggy

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 02:29 am
Came now magna an age nova ; about celibate mittitur boy , quae life downwards government deosque videbit and himself videbitur counting from by these. this boy he will rule clean in which valor father pacem dederunt. a few things jaw , but remanebunt , which homines iubebunt to sink and war violent gerere. ernt as yet the second dessert and again to Troiam large mittetur Achilles. at that time , boy , when now longa aets you virus fecerit , will be nulli to sink null dessert ; sailor out of to swim to break up , farmer also now agros to leave behind , earth herself ominbus hominibus omnia prepared. currite , an age ; to take in hand , child boy , to know matrem , and will be enough breath me your dicere facta
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 03:19 am
A great new age is coming! A boy will be sent from heaven, who will have the life of Gods and will see Gods and will be seen from them. This boy will rule the world to which gifts of the father will give peace. But a few evils will remain that will force mans to work and will make violent wars. There will be another war and great Achilles will be sent to troy. Then, boy, when the time will make you a man there will be no work, no war, the sailor will get off boats and farmer will leave the fields the earth itself will prepare everything for all the man. Hurry times! Begin, boy, to know your mother and let in me be enough spirit to tell your deeds!

Here is my translation Smile I would ask George to check it out, anyway. The passage is not so complicate, but George is still much more skilled then me, so, just to make sure it is really correct....
0 Replies

lovely

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 01:12 pm
Thankyou but the passage is complicated for a latin 1 student.
Thankyou sooooo much
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 02:13 pm
lovely wrote:
Thankyou but the passage is complicated for a latin 1 student.
Thankyou sooooo much

You are welcome.
0 Replies

atx

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 07:27 am
ty!
excellent translation! i was given this passage as an extra assignment, and about halfway through i became very frustrated and initiated a google search, and very luckily i found this site. =] thank you very much latin scholar you've made my life much easier =]
0 Replies

DreamBeat

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 09:35 am
@lovely,
A great new age comes now; a boy is sent from heaven, who will have the life of the gods and he will see gods and he himself will be seen by them. This boy rules the world to which the virtues of his father gave peace. A few bad things, however, will remain, which will force mankind to work* and to wage harsh war. There will also be other wars** and Achilles will be sent again to great Troy. Then, boy, when now the long period of life will have made you a man, there will be no labors, no wars; sailors will leave from ships farmers will now abandon the farms, the earth itself will prepare all things for all humans. Run, ages; begin, little boy, to be born,* and there will be enough breath** to say to me to your deeds.

*Connotation of suffering
**Saying that history will repeat itself
*It's a phrase, but literally means "know your mother"
**Literal meaning is spirit.
~bellum gerere is a phrase: "to wage war"

It might sound a little weird since my teacher likes for us to translate Latin to English in a way that will make clear what we've translated. For example, "to say to me your deeds" could just be "to tell me your deeds," but mihi doesn't just mean "me," it means "to me." Our teacher is a bit picky about that, but I think "to say to me your deeds" and "to tell me your deeds" are essentially the same thing.

Don't know if this is completely accurate, and I'm only a Latin 1 student. Hope this helps people in the future.
~Latin 1 Student
Tom442

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 01:03 am
@DreamBeat,
Far and away the best translation so far. The earlier translations are often absurdly wrong. This one finally gets it pretty much right. Congrats!
0 Replies