Quran and age of Universe

HabibUrrehman

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 03:04 pm
@Sturgis,
I found little more information which I think is relevant to our earlier discussion. I thought I should share it with you and hope you will find it beneficial.

In the history of the calendar systems, the modern calendar with its 12 months broken into 365 days is relatively new. In the past, we've seen a variety of solar and lunar calendars which periodically made adjustments to bring the calendar in line with the observed solar patterns. Some calendars had 10 months (e.g., the Roman calendar). The Mayan calendar had 260 days.

The Quran makes it clear that God always intended the calendar to be 12 months in length (Quran 9:36).

Quote:
[9:36] The count of months, as far as GOD is concerned, is twelve. This has been GOD's law, since the day He created the heavens and the earth. Four of them are sacred. This is the perfect religion; you shall not wrong your souls (by fighting) during the Sacred Months. However, you may declare all-out war against the idol worshipers (even during the Sacred Months), when they declare all-out war against you, and know that GOD is on the side of the righteous.

Since both solar and lunar calendars are in place, God tells us He has created both the sun & moon as calculation devices. Using the lunar calendar to determine the time of Hajj (Pilgrimage to Mecca) (2:189) and Ramadan is equitable, since it allows people from both hemispheres a balance in terms of time of the year and length of the day. If Hajj always fell during "harvest season" (for example), farmers would have a hard time observing it.

Quote:
[6:96] At the crack of dawn, He causes the morning to emerge. He made the night still, and He rendered the sun and the moon to serve as calculation devices. Such is the design of the Almighty, the Omniscient.

Interestingly, we also see that the word "month" is mentioned in the Quran 12 times. The plural form, "days", is mentioned in the Quran 30 times.
And singular form"day" is mentioned 365 times.
0 Replies

HabibUrrehman

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 03:06 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
All holy books were written by humans who had their own axe to grind. I don't trust any text written by humans. Especially the ones who claim god told me to write this.

I understand why you are saying this and respect your honest opinion. You are better than many who follow a religion blindly. Keep searching and as long as your are sincere you will find the truth.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 09:01 pm
@HabibUrrehman,
Hell is and always has been a hole, also called a grave. Everybody goes to one and there is no awareness. No punishment. No jerk with a pitchfork. Dead = dead, that's why we call it "dead".

We don't know anything about heaven except what the bible tells us, and that is almost nothing.

Einstein gets a lot more credit that he actually earned. His theories were disproved during his lifetime, but it has not been politically expedient to admit that officially. Scientists quietly go about their business knowing that time is time, with no adjustments. People think the GPS system proved relativity, but analysis using Newtonian methods give exactly the same results.

To top it off, there is no relation between physics and spiritual principles. Physics is anything you can measure, spirit is anything you can't measure.
HabibUrrehman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 09:55 am
@Jewels Vern,
Quote:
Hell is and always has been a hole, also called a grave. Everybody goes to one and there is no awareness. No punishment. No jerk with a pitchfork. Dead = dead, that's why we call it "dead".

We don't know anything about heaven except what the bible tells us, and that is almost nothing.

Your source of information in Bible and mine is Quran. Quran has very detailed description of heaven and hell. It is beyond the scope of this discussion but if you like to discussion, please open a separate discussion thread and I will answer it there in more details.

Quote:
To top it off, there is no relation between physics and spiritual principles. Physics is anything you can measure, spirit is anything you can't measure.

It is true. But my post is focused on what we can measure, that is time and age of our universe. Science and religion are closely tied. There are many things which science can't explain but that does not mean science proves those concepts wrong. However, there are several facts which are today proved with the help of science and those help us identify the right religion.
mark noble

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 06:57 am
@RABEL222,
Of Course - Every word EVER written was written by a human hand - Who can dispute that?
Only humans can write.

With the exception of some trained (brainwased) celebrity animals and unknown (you'd think) 'alternate' beings - as yet undisclosed or imaginary.

And Everyone and Everythings' defintion of God is different, unique and Perfect (The Only accurate representation of 'Itself').
ALL parts = The Whole.

And every version of God is NOT a version of God - It is God - God = EVERYTHING
Everything = God.
Human-ego is the fortress God has placed in its (our) way to make the trip worthwhile.

I worhip Only one thing - Everything - And my manner of worship is - progressive participation.

One thing I'd like to add - ALL belief-systems are a step toward Somewhere - That 'Somewhere' is Everywhere - So you needn't look far:)
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 07:10 am
@Jewels Vern,
It's Not a coincidence you have that perspective, Jewels.
Myself and Habib have shared Pm's - And in one - I gave him a link Which encompasses the thread-topic, and both your 'little known' by the layfolk post, mine and everything worth knowing.

I'll share it here, also.
'The Physics of Spirituality | Nassim Haramein with Vishen...'
by 'Mindvalley Talks'
Youtube

You're Welcome.
mark noble

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 07:14 am
@HabibUrrehman,
Spirituality Can be measured, Habib ..... But only by God.
Hence the 'coincidental?' link.

The Physics of Spirituality:)

namaste
HabibUrrehman

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 07:45 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
Spirituality Can be measured, Habib ..... But only by God.
Hence the 'coincidental?' link.

The Physics of Spirituality:)

Makes a lot of sense, thanks for the links.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 11:24 pm
@mark noble,
Your post is incoherent.
mark noble

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2019 04:56 am
@Jewels Vern,
Only to the 'unattuned'.
You'll need to tune-out to be able to tune-in.
Do it slowly, though. And look before you leap.
It'll save you from falling over your/self.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 04:49 pm
The Quran and the age of the Mohamed's 9 year old bride...
HabibUrrehman

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 04:59 pm
@TheCobbler,
Are you really that ignorant? Not a long ago, age of consent in Delaware was 7, what would you say about that?

http://chnm.gmu.edu/cyh/teaching-modules/230?section=primarysources&source=24
mark noble

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 07:11 am
@HabibUrrehman,
What is the Islamic age of consent, Habib, please?
namaste
HabibUrrehman

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 10:12 am
@mark noble,
Age didn’t matter in terms of marriage anywhere in the world (besides England) until about 220 years ago - before then, as long as you looked and behaved like an adult, nobody cared about your age before proposing marriage. The age of consent and age of marriage were 10 to 12 when they were first set in the 18th century, and over the next two centuries it slowly increased.
Since the Quran is the final revelation and Muhammad (PBUH) was the last prophet, Islam doesn’t have the luxury to keep changing the age of marriage with time, like governments do. Islam simply says that it depends on the biological maturity and psychological maturity of the individuals, and requires their consent.
The age of reaching puberty and psychological maturity changes in response to many factors, including polygyny, danger, unpredictability, high mortality and how children are treated by society. All these factors were far higher in 7th century Arabia than in 19th century Europe. So if European and American lawmakers decided most girls were ready for marriage at age 10 until just 160 years ago, it’s almost certain that most girls would be ready at a far younger age 1400 years ago.

So, in a hypothetical scenario where a Western country was (God forbid) embroiled in a generations-long war on their own soil, making everyday life far more dangerous, girls in that society would probably go back to becoming mentally and physically mature enough for marriage at age 9. Perhaps the same is true for some isolated tribes which are cut off from modern civilization, such as those in Central Africa, the Amazon or tiny islands.
If that were the case (i.e. girls were truly mature in biological and psychological terms at age 9, and considered women in their society), then, yes, Muslims would be allowed to marry them if they gave consent. But in what’s considered normal society by today’s standards, girls are nowhere near ready for marriage by age 9, either biologically or mentally. So in normal 21st century society, Muslims are not allowed to marry 9-year-old girls. Islam simply says that the biological maturity and psychological maturity of the individuals is necessary for marriage, and requires their consent.

Examples

So, if some sort of genetic mutation caused a girl to hit puberty at 8, and be a fully grown young woman at 9, with the mental state of an adult, then there is nothing in Sharia to object with her getting married at that age. If on the other hand, another girl had a different mutation that makes her hit puberty at age 20, then marrying her at age 19 is child marriage, and prohibited by Sharia. If a fully grown woman has a mental disorder, and behaves like a 7 years old, and cannot psychologically accept the concept of sex, bearing children and starting a family of her own, then also, marrying her is prohibited.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 01:49 pm
@HabibUrrehman,
You guys are talking of Aisha Bint Abu Bakr, the woman Mohammad loved more than anyone?* Let's not call her a girl. She is the Mother of the Believers.

When Aisha was accused of adultery, she spoke to the Prophet, who had a vision from God that she was innocent, and he severely punished her accusers.

After the Prophet passed away, she became a caliph maker of sorts, and even led men into battle.

* Once a compagnon asked Mohammad: Who do you love the most on this earth?" He answered: "Aisha."
HabibUrrehman

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 03:39 pm
@Olivier5,
You are 100% right.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2019 04:47 pm
On the lighter side...

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2019 04:24 am
On the relationship between Aisha and Mohammad:

Quote:
She too loved him greatly in return and often would seek reassurance from him that he loved her. Once she asked him: "How is your love for me?"

"Like the rope's knot," he replied meaning that it was strong and secure. And time after time thereafter, she would ask him: "How is the knot?" and he would reply: "Ala haaliha in the same condition."

As she loved the Prophet so was her love a jealous love and she could not bear the thought that the Prophet's attentions should be given to others more than seemed enough to her. She asked him:

"O Messenger of God, tell me of yourself. If you were between the two slopes of a valley, one of which had not been grazed whereas the other had been grazed, on which would you pasture your flocks?"

"On that which had not been grazed," replied the Prophet. "Even so," she said, "and I am not as any other of your wives. "Everyone of them had a husband before you, except myself." The Prophet smiled and said nothing.

Of her jealousy, Aishah would say in later years:

"I was not, jealous of any other wife of the Prophet as I was jealous of Khadijah [Mohammad's first wife, who was older than him and died before he married Aisha] because of his constant mentioning of her and because God had commanded him to give her good tidings of a mansion in Paradise of precious stones. And whenever he sacrificed a sheep he would send a fair portion of it to those who had been her intimate friends. Many a time I said to him: "It is as if there had never been any other woman in the world except Khadijah."

From the WinAlim Islamic database
Sahaabah's Biography of Aishah bint Abi Bakr
https://web.archive.org/web/20080201061117/http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/history/biographies/sahaabah/bio.AISHAH_BINT_ABI_BAKR.html
mark noble

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2019 06:10 am
@HabibUrrehman,
namaste

Makes perfect sense.

Question: What is the purpose to offspring production - And what relationship does it have to marriage?
I'm assuming offspring production is a 'negative' (Vice) outside of contracted (authorised) union (marriage)

HabibUrrehman

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2019 08:45 am
@mark noble,
Your question is two folded. I think the best way to answer is probably first to explain importance of marriage in Islam and then focus on off springs and their rights.

Importance of marriage in Islam

In Islam marriage being an obligatory act is so important that it is declared to be one half of single Muslim’s faith. If we understand the responsibilities which come along with marriage and the benefits which a believer can get, you will see why it is half the faith.

Let me quote some verses from Quran and some hadiths related to marriage and its importance in Islam.

Some Verses from Quran with commentary:

Allah says in Holy Quran:

Quote:
And among His signs is this that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that you may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your hearts. Undoubtedly in these are signs for those who reflect. (Quran, 30:21)

In this verse Allah tells us that he has created us in pairs in order for us to be a source of love and comfort for each other.

In another verse Allah says:

Quote:
Your wives are a garment for you, and you are a garment for them.” (Qur’an 2:187)

This verse is small but it is so beautiful and has very deep meaning. If married couples can act on this one verse, we will have no issues in our married lives. This verse demonstrates that Allah has made us to protect one another like clothes protect our bodies. Clothes hide our imperfections, they beautify our appearance and they are close to us when worn. This is the same for a husband and wife. They are there to hide each other’s faults, be close to each other and to love and support one another.

Marriage in Islam allows us to fulfil the physical needs (in a lawful manner) which is the nature of human beings. It allows us to procreate and have our own families. Allah tells us:

Quote:
And Allah has made for you your mates of your own nature, and made for you, out of them, sons and daughters and grandchildren, and provided for you sustenance of the best.” (Quran 16:72)

In doing so we become more content with life as we find love and happiness with our families.

Some Hadiths of importance of marriage in Islam:

It is narrated by Anas that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said:

Quote:
“When a man marries, he has fulfilled half of his religion, so let him fear Allah regarding the remaining half.”

Marriage has great importance in Islam, it emphasizes on not to delay in marriage as there is another Hadith of Prophet (PBUH) related to marriage is:

Quote:
Do not delay in three things; i) the offering of the compulsory prayer. ii) The offering of the funeral prayer when the dead body is present. iii) The marriage of a woman when her match is found.

As we grow into young adults and take on life more independently, it’s natural for us to want to explore and experience new things. This drive and energy of young people can be channeled in a positive way or a negative way. The prophet Muhammad (PBUH) told us:

Quote:
O you young men! Whoever is able to marry should marry, for that will help him to lower his gaze and guard his modesty.[Al-Bukhari]

Marriage in Islam is there to protect us from committing certain sins such as lowering our gaze which is why part of our faith is fulfilled and protected from unlawful acts which displease God.

In summary:

Below are few reasons marriage is so important is Islam:
• It provides tranquility, peace, and security
• It is a bond of love not just only between two persons but between two families
• It is a source to experience love and happiness
• It protects us from committing certain sins and provides protection against the acts dislikes by our Creator.
• It is necessary for making family (for children)
• Marriage makes an incomplete human being a complete one, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)says, “No house has been built in Islam more beloved in the sight of Allah than through marriage”
• Marriage is one of the most liked Sunnah in Islam as Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) married and also encouraged others.
• It helps us to be more responsible as I will explain this particular point below in relation to responsibilities for children. I am not focusing on rights for husband and wife because that will make this post little longer.

Off Springs and their rights in Islam:

Islam establishes a legal framework, and embodies a code of ethics, designed to protect the rights of an individual including his or her right to live in a secure society. For children, security is of the upmost importance. The rights of a child begin even before birth; in fact they begin before conception. The Quran and the authentic traditions of Prophet Muhammad make it clear that two people should not enter into a marriage carelessly. A great deal of thought and preparation is necessary before man and woman commit to each other and to the family that may result from their union. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said:

Quote:
A woman may be married for four reasons: her wealth, her lineage, her beauty, and her religious commitment. Marry the one who is religiously committed.

If a man and a woman have both dedicated their lives to worshipping and pleasing their Creator then the rights of any children they may have are automatically guaranteed. Worshipping God means obeying His commandments and His commandments include securing the rights of the child. By marrying rather than having an illicit relationship the couple has already begun to secure the rights of their future children. A child has the right to know and understand his or her lineage.

Once a child is conceived, it has the right to life. The Quran makes it very clear that all life is sacred. It is never permissible to terminate a pregnancy because one fears being unable to financially support a child or another child. It is God, who is the Provider and Sustainer of all life.

Quote:
Kill not your children because of poverty - We provide sustenance for you and for them (Quran 6:151)

When making a decision to terminate a pregnancy it is important to remember that having a child is a blessing from God and all such blessings should be accepted with joy and gratitude. There are many people in the world today who are not able to have children, therefore when God blesses a family with one, it should be a cause for celebration and happiness. However, children are not toys or possessions. With them comes great responsibility.

The Quran and the authentic traditions of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)speak clearly about the responsibility that comes with raising a child. It is an obligation upon the believers to raise and care for children by bringing them up as moral, righteous human beings. Secure in the knowledge that they are valued members of the human race, and their particular families. Neglecting this duty could potentially lead a person away from the path of righteousness and away from God.

Quote:
“O you who believe! Ward off yourselves and your families against a Fire (Hell) whose fuel is men and stones, over which are (appointed) angels stern (and) severe, who disobey not, (from executing) the Commands they receive from God, but do that which they are commanded” (Quran 66:6)

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said:

Quote:
Each of you is a shepherd and each of you is responsible for his flock. The ruler is a shepherd and is responsible for his flock. A man is the shepherd of his family and is responsible for his flock. A woman is the shepherd of her husband’s household and is responsible for her flock (Sahih Bukhari and Muslim).

Caring for and raising children in the proper manner is a duty on parents and it is not always easy. In fact, God reminds us in the Quran that children may even be a great trial for their parents. The triumphs and tribulations of life are a test and children are no exception. They can bring great joy and at times they can bring great sadness as well. God in His infinite wisdom never leaves a human being alone and unable to face all of life’s trials.

Quote:
Your wealth and your children are only a trial, whereas God, with Him is a great reward (Paradise).” (Quran 64:15)

Following the teachings of Islam enables a believer to face all life events including the trials the tribulations and the triumphs. The correct Islamic advice for raising and rearing children covers all aspects of life. Just like Islam itself, it is holistic advice. Physical, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing are all of equal importance. It is interesting to note that Islam has always covered the rights of children. The Islamic view of childhood states that it is a unique period in an individual’s life. This is in sharp contrast to western/European ideology where the concept of childhood was not addressed until the 16th century. It is not that the west did not have children or young people but rather they considered them to be small adults with the same needs and wants as adults which we know is not true.