Iranian war

HabibUrrehman

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 03:47 pm
@InfraBlue,
Divide and rule policy at its best. Based on Muslim history America knows that the best way to deal with Middle East is let Muslims fight among themselves. America supports Saudi Arabia which is Sunni and enforce sanctions on Iran which is Shia country. Just recently Trump signed largest arms deal with Saudis so they can fight in Yemen against Iran and other Shias
https://www.theweek.com/speedreads/700428/trump-signs-largest-arms-deal-american-history-saudi-arabia
America does not need to get involve in Yemen but it is providing all the resources to fuel the war.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 04:28 pm
@HabibUrrehman,
This brings to mind the US' support of Saddam Hussein in the Iran-Iraq War. The West is on the side of the Sunni Arabs over the Persians and, more importantly, on the side of Israel over either the Sunni Arabs or the Persians. That Iran is opposed to Israel as well as Saudi Arabia is making for strange bedfellows between the latter. For all of the current administration's loathing of international involvement, the exception is Israel's interests which this administration and the US in general conflate with their own.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 05:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
And not for all the best reasons. https://interactive.aljazeera.com/aje/2017/50-years-illegal-settlements/index.html I must repeat here that Israel is not a democracy that our government loves to repeat ad nauseam. https://jacobinmag.com/2017/05/israel-palestine-democracy-apartheid-discrimination-settler-colonialism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_Israeli_government
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 04:31 pm
The Vietnam war taught our politicians to encourage others to fight wars that we want fought while we hide in the bunkers. We still have the CIA for that shyt.
0 Replies

longly

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 09:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Re: InfraBlue (Post 6869542)
Quote:
Re: InfraBlue
" What is it to the US if Iran wins in Yemen?"

Re: cicerone imposter
"That's a good question, and many wonder why the US needs to get involved in that part of the world rather than Europe. Politics is never rational; "my enemy's enemy is my friend." Alliances around the world changes all the time. Japan and Germany were our strongest enemies during WWII; now they're our closest of allies. "

But now Iran is our enemy and Saudi Arabia is our ally.
Iran is our enemy and by that I mean the government of Iran has killed many Americans. Any American who wants Iran to win in Yemen or anywhere else is a traitor to the US.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 10:15 am
@longly,
Quote:
Iran is our enemy and by that I mean the government of Iran has killed many Americans.
Germany and Japan also killed many Americans during WWII. Casualties of WWII: https://www.nationalww2museum.org/students-teachers/student-resources/research-starters/research-starters-worldwide-deaths-world-war. The holocaust: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust.
Quote:
While the Jewish population in nearly all countries of the Diaspora declines, the Jewish population in Germany boasts an unprecedented boom. In the past 15 years [since about 1988], the number of Jews in that country roughly tripled, to reach an estimated 150,000. This would make Germany the home of the fourth-largest Jewish community in Europe.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 10:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Germany and Japan also killed many Americans during WWII.

That was over 70 years ago, Iran has killed many American military in the last 10 years.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 04:45 pm
@Baldimo,
Where did this happen?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 04:51 pm
@longly,
Quote:
But now Iran is our enemy and Saudi Arabia is our ally.
I would have said the kingdom of Saudi Arabia is the U.S. ally. From time time there are worries that the Kingdom will fall from within. If that happened, I very much doubt it would remain an U.S. ally.
vikorr

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 04:52 pm
I found this interesting article on U.S. bases in the Middle East - it's much more extensive than I imagined.

https://www.americansecurityproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Ref-0213-US-Military-Bases-and-Facilities-Middle-East.pdf
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 06:28 pm
@vikorr,
I was stationed in Morocco in the late 1950's for one year at Ben Guerir AFB about 30 miles north of Marrakech. My buddies and I used to visit Marrakech on long weekend visits, and stayed at the same hotel where they filmed "The Man Who Knew Too Much" with Doris Day and Jimmie Stewart. There was an American club on the main road before reaching the Medina area that provided club services to American military. The opportunity to travel to Casablanca, Tangiers, Madrid, Paris, and London started my passion for world travel, and I have since traveled to 132 countries. That's the best thing that happened to me as a result of my four years in the USAF. Ben Guerir AFB have since been closed. I also learned that Morocco was one of our oldest allies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morocco–United_States_relations. Unfortunately, our relations have soured since then.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 09:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Our relations have soured with most of our allies since trump. But most communist countries have become very friendly with Trump. Its problemitical if they are Americas friends or allies.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2019 10:49 pm
@RABEL222,
True. What's more urgent in today's world is Iran's threat to the USA and our allies. My first reading of Iran's threat against the USA made me laugh. https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/09/ted-cruz-iran-deal-politifact-nuclear-weapons/ How can a pipsqueek country like Iran threaten the strongest military in the world today? Even Russia and China has more brains. We have our military all around the world. How will Iran use military force to destroy our military all around the world? CLUE: It's impossible. They have a mentally sick leader in Iran, or he's all bluster without any common sense.
0 Replies

longly

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2019 10:49 pm
@vikorr,
"I would have said the kingdom of Saudi Arabia is the U.S. ally. From time time there are worries that the Kingdom will fall from within. If that happened, I very much doubt it would remain an U.S. ally. "

I have to agree with you on that. Saudi Arabia with its multitude royal princes is a byzantine pain. But one works with the allies one has not the ones you wished you had. We need the Saudis and they need us.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2019 10:52 pm
@longly,
When our son served in the US Air Force (many years ago), he served two assignments in Saudi Arabia.
longly

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2019 11:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I was in AWAC what was his career field?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 10:22 am
@longly,
Our son was a Weapon's Officer. He's the one who directed others where to bomb. When I got out after four years in the US Air Force, I was E4. Our son made Major, but he was in for over 10 years. As an after thought, I've always wondered how my life would be so different if I finished college before I volunteered into the Air Force, but that was never to be. That's because, I majored in Accounting, and I had four job offers before I even graduated. It was a much different time in the late 1960's. College graduates didn't have problems finding jobs like they do now. I went to work for Florsheim Shoe Company as a Field Auditor, and after 3.5 years, was promoted to Audit Manager for the company. Everything worked out very well for me after that. My success is measured by the fact that I was able to travel to 132 countries. Having made friends in so many countries and across the USA, I have no regrets. Met many interesting people, and one couple was Bob and Patty Brodsky. Bob was a rocket scientist; he designed the aerodynamics on the nukes I worked with in the Air Force. I met them on a cruise on the Mexican Riviera, and kept in touch for many years until his passing. He also taught Astronautics at USC and Iowa State University. He's written several books, and I read about three of them. Another was Dan Piel. He was director of an advertising agency in NYC, but was teaching at Cal Poly when I met him. After we both took two trips on an South African safari, he gave me a gift of one of his art works that's hanging in our entrance hallway. One of his artworks is now on display at the Smithsonian in Washington DC. I have friends in Germany, France, England, Cuba, Mexico, Singapore, and Canada.
0 Replies