Bill Clinton: Iraq Changes Good for Region

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 09:19 am
Quote:
Bill Clinton: Iraq Changes Good for Region

By JAN M. OLSEN
Associated Press Writer

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) -- Former President Clinton said Wednesday the political changes in Iraq, including parliamentary elections in January, will help bring stability to the region.

Clinton met with Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen and a number of Danish lawmakers during his visit. The former president spoke with reporters before flying to Jordan for a poverty conference.

"The Sunnis and the Shiites, the Kurds and all the various tribes can work out accommodations that will allow them to build a stable society, I think that will be good for Iraq and good for the Middle East," Clinton said at the end of a two-day visit to Denmark.

In January, Iraq held the its first democratic parliamentary elections to choose a 275-member National Assembly and provincial legislatures.

"There is no point living in the past," Clinton said. "Look at where we are now. Everyone, all freedom-loving people would be better off with a genuinely representative, effective, free government in Iraq whatever your feelings are about what went on before."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,121 • Replies: 3
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:45 am
You can always count on Bubba to state the obvious.

I wonder where the Partisen Dems are and why they have not trashed this post?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:03 am
Why trash it? Does anyone disagree that a genuinely representative, effective, free government in Iraq would be a good thing in Iraq? There's nothing to comment on.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 11:11 am
I am willing to bite....

If a stable democracy in Iraq developes, it will be a good thing for Iraq and probably for the region. That is an awfully big if right now. This quote shows that Clinton, with his poltical saavy understands that optimism is good for him. I think he is smart enough to know the real score.

Right now you have continued uncontrolled violence, rifts in the new government, and visits between Iranian and Iraqi cabinet officials.

I have no political view to keep me from realism. There are some problems in Iraq right now.

It is still too early to say "Mission Accomplished".
0 Replies