So what was YOUR opinion of Star Wars, Episode III

Fedral

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:36 am
I am not going to push this thread in one direction or the other by starting out with my opinion of the movie.

What did YOU think of the film?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,080 • Replies: 109
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:12 am
I'll let you know when I see it, which will be when I can get five seats in a row for me and family, not have to camp out, and not be surrounded by geeks in Chewbacca and Darth Vader costumes.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:13 am
My God, that was curmudgeonly. I need coffee.
0 Replies

music-lover

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:48 am
I haven't seen it either but by the look of the pre-views it looks very good, but I maybe wrong because some pre-views look good and turn out to be rubbish when you watch it in the cinema Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:24 am
I won't say much, other than I managed to see an unofficial 'sneak preview' of it last night.
Cost me a bottle of Glennfiddich Scotch. Very Happy

I just want to see what people's reactions were before I post my long rambling opinion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:27 am
The reviews I've seen so far look really good. A.O. Scott (I think?) said that it was better than Star Wars, even. (Like, the first one. Or the fourth one. You know what I mean.) And that it was the best of the four that George Lucas directed.

Very interested in your take, Fedral.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:27 am
I heard once again Lucas forfeited great scenes for the necessity of putting in Cheezy dialog. I read Yoda reads like a backword talking hasbeen.I wonder can the over extravagent footage ever match the original so it plays cleanly in a loop?The jump from this to the first might seem a little weak ?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:49 pm
Just came back from the movie an hour ago. I liked it -- good fight scenes, reasonable development of characters. Of course, I will never understand why George Lucas would hire Samuel Jackson if he doesn't use his talent, and Lucas's dialogues are as cookie-cutterish as ever. But the fight scenes and special effects, which are brilliant, make up most of the movie, so I had a very good time.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:55 pm
DANG!!

Kin I git more?

Who gets killed?
Who killed em?
How could Leia and Luke be sibs?

(OK, I hated #2, so I've only seen #1.)

What's the big picture?

(I mean....whatever happened to Harrison Ford?....)

<giggle>

Somebody can tell me something.

And, most importantly---(got this through snips here and there--) How could Natalie Portman look the same when Annikin was five, and then twenty?

I mean--how many wars did these people have?

Who won?

How?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:21 pm
I do not know only the force can tell you master lash.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 06:41 pm
<LOL!!>

Guess I'm going to have rent the whole enchilada...

I don't know if I can get through that Ewan MacGregor one in that big foggy alien-making spaceship...

I REALLY hated that one.

...and I like Ewan.

Did it not suck for anyone? It did have universal suckage, did it not?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:55 pm
I heard Ewan was the best thing.he was the only one maintaining a semblence of the caracter he was playing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:21 am
from Variety

TOP STORY
'Sith' already a star in B.O. record books
Early gross in neighborhood of $15 mil

By Gabriel Snyder

"Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith" marched toward the record books early Thursday morning, with estimates of grosses from its midnight and pre-dawn shows floating in the neighborhood of $15 million.
"Midnight shows sold out everywhere," said 20th Century Fox distrib prexy Bruce Snyder.

Fox did not release a tally of the sales -- it is expected to announce an opening day figure today -- but the huge latenight grosses give it a good chance of topping the single-day box office record of $44.8 million, set by "Shrek 2," once Thursday night's shows are finished. Notably, however, the "Shrek 2" record came on a Saturday rather than a weekday.

The biggest opening day title is claimed by "The Matrix Reloaded" with $42.5 million, also on a Thursday. However, some of its shows started Wednesday before midnight.

Internationally, midnight showings in Mexico generated $5.3 million Thursday while German midnight showings totaled $2.9 million from more than 1,100 screens.

"Sith" also posted impressive numbers in the three markets where it opened Wednesday: France, Belgium and French-speaking Switzerland.

In France, "Sith" topped the 576,544 tickets sold on the 2003 launch day of "The Matrix Reloaded."

In Belgium, "Sith" set a one-day record with $452,000 at 99 playdates. In French Switzerland, it grossed $393,000 at 36 sites in one of the territory's biggest launches.

Highly anticipated pics like "Sith" typically start shows at midnight on opening day, but studios do not as a rule break out grosses for those shows, so a record is tough to pin down. And defining what counts as "midnight" is slippery since not all shows start exactly at the stroke of 12 o'clock.

Still, a $15 million gross for the early morning "Sith" shows would be an unprecedented amount of biz.

For "Reloaded," Warner Bros. reported that it grossed more than $10 million from its late-Wednesday and early-Thursday shows in May 2003.

On "Sith," midnight shows had begun selling out weeks ago, prompting exhibs to play more of their prints and add second and even third shows later in the morning.

The ArcLight in L.A., for instance, sold out all of its 11 shows starting after midnight: the first at 12:01, two at 12:05, then 12:10, 12:15, 12:20, 12:21, 12:30, 12:40, one at 3:30 and another at 6:30.

Ticket sales sites said biz continued to grow Thursday, with Movietickets.com reporting it was selling five "Sith" tickets per second and competitor Fandango.com saying it was moving six a second.

Fandango also noted that it had sold more tickets to "Sith" before the film's opening than it had tickets to "Attack of the Clones" during that film's entire opening weekend.

In part, execs with the company said, the record-setting online sales for "Sith" reflect the growth of the service over the last three years. A survey by Feedback Research found that 46% of those planning to see the film said they planned to buy their tickets online.

For the most part, competing distribs got out of the way of "Star Wars." All of the frame's other new titles are in limited release. Warner Bros. will release "Dominion: A Prequel to the Exorcist," the Paul Schrader-helmed contribution to the "Exorcist" franchise that was ultimately shelved, on 110 screens.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:32 am
Hi Lightwizaard,

And the numbers roll.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:54 am
Correction...Anakin was 9...not 5...but I do know what you mean...

Can't answer other questions incase it ruins it for someone....my opinion of the film....it was very good, I prefer one, didn't like two very much, and this one was a little depressing, but still very good...I was screaming in my head 'NO ANAKIN, DON'T DO IT!!' But you know, he didn't listen...

I'm not sure it was that good that the special effects and basically the entire sets etc in one two and three are going to look that good if you watch them all round with the older looks and effects in four five and six....Ewan is a really great actor though, and watching the transition from his acting to Alec Guinness's will be very good...So if your deciding whether or not to go and see it...DO!! It's very good... :wink:
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:54 am
Also does anyone know of a good website to do with starwars where you can like play games or eg advance through levels?
Okadey dokedy... :wink:
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:56 am
I think it might be visually too cluttered.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 11:58 am
The film, or my post?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 12:03 pm
The film honey-rose-cu-later
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 12:21 pm
Spoilage ahead.

=======================

"So this how democracy dies; with thunderous applause." -- Senator Padme Amidala

"If you're not with me, you're my enemy." -- Anakin/Vader

"Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes." -- OBK

This and the fact that the Jedi swing blue light sabres and the Sith red ones seems to clearly delineate Lucas' politics. Of course it might be more appropriate to say "Only the Sith (plural being significant) impose false balance on absolutes".

Fair and balanced, someone said (without a clue about irony).

But the only Darth Vader-IS-The-New-World-Order analogy I'm really comfortable with is that Emperor Palpatine is allegedly Dick Cheney. On second thought, maybe he's Karl Rove. I have trouble telling those method actors apart sometimes.

And despite the unrelenting criticism of wooden dialogue between the Anakin and Padme characters, my humble O is that people my age -- I was 19 when "A New Hope" was released, but of course it wasn't called that -- weren't ever meant to be the target audience for these trilogies, and as such I've never been put off by the "I-love-you,-no-I-love-you-MORE" exchanges.

SW was always your basic fairy tale in outer space, and just because it's been eclipsed in terms of anal-retentive minutiae and obtuse insider dialogue in the sci-fi genre by LOTR and the "Chronicles" and the other comic-book flicks as well as the period battle epics and so forth doesn't make the first two episodes bad movies in my book (granted, Lucas overshot the 'cute' runway with Jar Jar Binks and his Jamaican accent, but the anti-Semitism charge against Anakin's master was out of line).

Lucas figured out before the studio did that it was all going to be about the merchandising, and while there's quite a market for size 40 stormtrooper costumes, I'd rather have had the plastic light saber patent. Or the action figures. Or the video games or the lunch boxes (well, not the lunch boxes necessarily; I'm not a huge Ebayer).
0 Replies