So what was YOUR opinion of Star Wars, Episode III

Pantalones

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 12:48 pm
I saw it yesterday and while I liked it, I thought I could be so much better. As said the dialogues were deficient most of the time but most actions scenes make up for it (the first one on the air fighters was boring).

-SPOILERS-
When did R2 become this powerful?

There were just too many times times where I justified an action 'because of the dark side'.

At the end, it entertained me and it was what I'd expected.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:51 pm
"So what was YOUR opinion of Star Wars, Episode III"

One of the most boring events of my lifetime. Boring to the point that it became so displeasurable that it mitigated against its own boredom.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:13 pm
Well I was getting geared up for it .Thought maybe this time again.Then I flicked on the TV and Star Wars was playing.I thought it was a clip from an entertainment program but it keep going.Then i realized it was the Clone one the one I never saw. And these new pictures are just too over wraught , too imposible to deal with,and like Craven says it caves in on itself.Even Yoda seemed ridiculous.I don't think I could face the last one just yet.Naw I am going to wait till it comes to our very own fantastic Dollar Cinema.Where everything costs a dollar.And it's in a huge old theatre with 500 seats or more.And they are projecting film. Truely Ticket,Popocorn and Mineralwater comes to only 3.00$
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 08:48 am
When did Padme become such a wimp? She kicked butt in the first and second movies. Then she gets pregnant and loses her will to live? Give me a break.

Obi Wan destroys his "brother" and then leaves him to burn to death? Give me another break.

Finally, Obi Wan and Yoda go into hiding and do nothing for 18 years? Urk. My suspension of disbelief just choked to death.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:00 am
Your second question is answered by:

It's the dark side.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 10:04 am
and your first by "hormones"....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 03:40 pm
Spare me the extraneous "human" element in these films, especially when it has little bearing on the plot.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 03:41 pm
I enjoyed it. Good sci-fi.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 03:48 pm
I will likely agree with you, Brandon. As space opera it excels -- it was never really meant to be that profound. It's when Lucas has gotten dangerously close to silly pretenses in I and II that things fall apart.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 04:08 pm
As an amusing side note, I recently read in a scientific magazine, a discussion of the non-existent science of projection holography, so prevalent in cinema. Apparently a company has come up with a clever trick that looks like a projection hologram unless you look closely. What amused me was that the article was titled, "Help Me, Obi-wan Kenobe. You're My Only Hope."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 05:03 pm
The projection holograms at the Haunted House ride at Disneyland are better looking than the "Star Wars" CGI effects.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:25 am
JoeFX wrote:

When did R2 become this powerful?

Yeah, he wasn't like this in the later (or earlier) episodes. I thought the same thing. He was almost....witty.....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:26 am
DrewDad wrote:
When did Padme become such a wimp? She kicked butt in the first and second movies. Then she gets pregnant and loses her will to live? Give me a break.

Anakin destroyed her will to live. At least, losing him did.

When did I become a Star Wars geek? Shocked

Erase all answers. I know nothing.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:12 am
Honey--if I'd had access to that beautiful man on a regular basis--and then he chose the Dark Side--or anything else over me--I'd want to die, too.

Hayden Christianson...Mmmmmm.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:12 am
He is pretty sexy....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:17 am
GREAT review from Anthony Lane in New Yorker. Well, he hated it, but he wrote a kick-ass pan of it.

Choice bits:

Quote:
What can you say about a civilization where people zip from one solar system to the next as if they were changing their socks but where a woman fails to register for an ultrasound, and thus to realize that she is carrying twins until she is about to give birth? Mind you, how Padmé got pregnant is anybody's guess, although I'm prepared to wager that it involved Anakin nipping into a broom closet with a warm glass jar and a copy of Ewok Babes.

Quote:
The general opinion of "Revenge of the Sith" seems to be that it marks a distinct improvement on the last two episodes, "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones". True, but only in the same way that dying from natural causes is preferable to crucifixion.

Quote:
Anakin keeps having problems with his dark side, in the way that you or I might suffer from tennis elbow, but Yoda, whose reptilian smugness we have been encouraged to mistake for wisdom, has the answer. "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose," he says. Hold on, Kermit, run that past me one more time. If you ever got laid (admittedly a long shot, unless we can dig you up some undiscerning alien hottie with a name like Jar Jar Gabor), and spawned a brood of Yodettes, are you saying that you'd leave them behind at the first sniff of danger? Also, while we're here, what's with the screwy syntax? Deepest mind in the galaxy, apparently, and you still express yourself like a day-tripper with a dog-eared phrase book. "I hope right you are." Break me a ******* give.

Quote:
I keep thinking of the rueful Obi-Wan Kenobi, as he surveys the holographic evidence of Anakin's betrayal. "I can't watch anymore," he says. Wise words, Obi-Wan, and I shall carry them in my heart.

Whole thing:

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cinema/articles/050523crci_cinema
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:58 am
It is certainly impressive that it took Mr. Lane only six Star Wars movies to figure out that they don't make a whole lot of sense. And after just another six -- who knows? -- he might well progress to the point of figuring out that they aren't supposed to. Even for someone at the New Yorker, the Force sure is strong in Mr. Lane. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:00 am
Heh.

I loved the "tennis elbow" line, though...

(Almost saw it open captioned last weekend, decided to see "Clones" first -- have seen "Phantom Menace".)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:07 am
I liked the tennis ellbow line too. The whole piece is a well-written, intelligent and enjoyable review, don't get me wrong Soz -- it just sparked my sarcasm when I saw a critic take a soap movie as seriously as if it were as deep as Ingmar Bergman, only to make the big discovery that it is not.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 09:28 am
As the originator of this thread, I have waited until now to throw my opinion into the mix. I have done this for two reasons; one, to allow some enough people to see it before venting my spleen and two, to have a chance to see it a second time to be sure of what I saw the first time.

Let me preface my opinion with the following facts:
1) I saw the original Star Wars, 2 days after it opened in '77. I was blown away and I subsequently went back and paid to see it 22 more times.
I know you are saying: "Were you NUTS!""That's what you get for going toe to toe with the Empire you scumbag weaklings!"
0 Replies