So what was YOUR opinion of Star Wars, Episode III

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:30 am
Certainly a wildly diverse collection of opinions here and the film critics. Nothing, but nothing, could possibly replace the thrill of seeing the first "Star Wars," which I took people to see and consequently stood in line seven times. The second had some substance and transcended the space opera genre. With all the good sci-fi writers out there who they could have employed to come up with some good stories, it was decided that a pop writer should do the deed. This is really stuff that would have been in the pulpiest of pulp sci-fi magazines of the 40's and 50's. I actually bought "Clones" and gave it away.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 11:58 am
I wasn't allowed to see it when it came out. My whole class went -- we'd had a unit based around it, made an R2D2-type robot and stuff -- and I wasn't allowed to go. (4th grade or so?) I was so upset. Only saw it for the first time on video when I was in my 20's. Special effects were already dated, and my TV was pretty small...

So the whole thing kinda passed me by though I'm the right demographic. It was in the ether, I know the theme song and everything (Da-da, duh-duh-duh DUH Da, duh-duh-duh DUH Da, duh-duh-duh-duh...) but I don't have any particular emotional attachment.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:30 pm
Sitting in the darkened theater when the first gigantic Empire ship comes flying onto the screen apparantly over one's head with the swelling of the John Williams' score and you knew you were in for a treat. The movie was just plain thrilling and fun. Ya might say, "The thrill is gone." I suppose I will have to see it on the big screen but not rushing out to do so right now. The first movie had only an outline of a story, the second became more engrossing storywise but the rest are disposable entertainment. I was so underwhelmed by I and II that I can't imagine III being anything but an improvement. But you do have to love sci-fi and not be put-off by space opera.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:39 pm
Fedral--

That review kicked ass.

<LOL>
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:48 pm
saw it today. Headed out for late dinner.... more later.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:53 pm
I still want to see it....

So, what happens to Padme?
How are Leia and Luke siblings?
Who killed the Jedi?
What became of Anakin?
0 Replies

Anonymouse

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 04:03 pm
It was by far the pest from the prequels. I walked out pleased and expected it to be everything it was. Aside from minor nit picky things, I was a satisfied viewer.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:36 pm
Lash wrote:
I still want to see it....

So, what happens to Padme?
How are Leia and Luke siblings?
Who killed the Jedi?
What became of Anakin?

If I answer those questions it will spoil the whole movie, suffice it to say all your answers are in the movie. But I think I will tell you what happens:

First, Padme is captured by Lord Duku and she is subjected to a cloning procedure and that is how she has two hundred children, two of which are Leia and Luke, all the others die with the Jedi when the Emperor releases a terrible virus that consumes all of a person's skin. It doesn't affect Yoda (reptile skin) and Obi Wan (Yoda helps him with an mental antidote)

Anakin gives up all of his skin to save Luke and Leia, but he doesn't die because the Emperor puts him in that black mask and suit after Anakin promises to follow the dark side. That's when he becomes Darth Vader.

Pretty good movie over all and a very good Star Wars movie. Lots of serious talk about good and evil, dark sides and Jedi and Siths, lots of improbable battle scenes and lots of efforts to tie the story together.

The interesting thing to me will be when I get a chance to watch the whole chronicle one right after the other.

Hopes this helps

Joe(I might have gotten some of that wrong)Nation
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:47 pm
You're bullshitting me.

<REALLY?>

That sounds <LMAO, swear...> friggin unbelievable.

He...gives up his skin...?

Thanks. <shakes head...LOL>

I want to watch them all, too, now. I'd only seen the 1st one. Isn't there one centered completely around those furry Care Bears?

Thanks, Joe.

Jedi-- Killed by a skin ailment.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 06:57 pm
I would never spoil the movie for you by telling you the truth.

Joe(The bears were in The Empire Strikes Back)Nation

PS I had two kids when the movies first arrived. We ate and slept Star Wars at our house. I wish I had kept all those action figures.....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:16 pm
I'm supposed to see the movie tomorrow with hubby & son, but something tells me I'll wish I had seen Joe's version instead.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 07:17 pm
The Return of the Herpes.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:35 pm
Better than the Return of the Harpies.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 08:38 pm
Both extremely irritating, I would assume.

Joe, you should write up the Virus Strikes Back for a parody.

I was laughing all the way through it. Padme with 200 pregnancies--even with clonic stand ins...lol
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 09:09 am
Funny satire there, Joe.

"Star Wars" was written and produced to appeal to all ages, thus the simple dialogue. In this type of space opera movie, the dialogue really doesn't matter if it delivers sonic and visual excitement and some good characters. I'm not stating that it couldn't have been better written -- almost every movie could be better written. There are few ideal scripts. It boils down to why one goes to the movies. To be entertained. If this particular series tried to be so profound that the average young boys would not understand it (after all, the prime target audience), it would fail. I don't think Lucas set out to produce a failure.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 09:11 am
(Obviousl not a failure as far as making money -- the world box office now breaking 300M, a record).
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 09:28 am
Somebody critizied the love scenes! They were the best! All the twelve year olds said so, lots of moonie eyes and hardly any kissing, it's a sci-fi movie, remember?

And the dialogue isn't supposed to sound like us, they live in the future or at least in a galaxy far, far away.

Anyway, the love scene that I liked the best was the four hundred Yuttswerms (roachs) slizlering all over the young Jabba the Hutt. He looked so cute with his eyes bugging out. I hope this didn't spoil anything for anybody.

And wowie, when she says "Oh, hold me Anakin like you did that night...."

oh wait, that really is in the movie..... Embarrassed

Joe(I still have my innocence, it's just packed away somewhere)Nation
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 09:50 am
That's the passage my 9 year old daughter liked too Joe,
as for her mother: I suffered through the movie. That's
just not my cup of tea http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/muede/emo_003.gif
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 10:45 am
Difficult to be objective when trying to review the movie as it demands a childlike appreciation and a suspension of any pretense that it's suppose to be what it is not. Ebert gives the flip-side of the New Yorker (talk about pretense!) in reviewing the movie within its' genre:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050519/REVIEWS/50503002/1023
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 10:46 am
(I love it when posters quote the high-toned critics when they agree with them and shun them as inconsequential if they don't).
0 Replies