a special bed

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 04:12 am
What do you call "a wide bed for a number of people"? Since China is prohibiting such beds for labourers for it's a simple accomodation for people. Or maybe you call it simply "bed". I want to make it different from ordinary beds.

What I want to describe is a kind of bed seems to be many beds placed next to each other to let many people sleep shoulder by shoulder on it. Something in your Lads Army. But it's closely by each other.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 593 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 05:19 am
There really is no such single word in English. There is something called a "bunk-bed," which is a frame accomodating one mattress above the other, although i rather suspect that this is not what you had in mind. That would be the "something in your Lads Army." In the first place, one would not capitalize either lads or army in such a locution. Secondly, an expression like "your lad's" (note that the apostrophe is required either before or after the "s" to make it a possessive) is an idiotmatic usage, similar to "your man's"--a locution which vaguely attributes responsibility for something to an otherwise unknown stranger. (An example would be: "It was your man's idea to start the argument" which means that the speaker is attributing the start of an argument to a stranger who is not otherwise known to the speaker.)

People in barracks (the buildings which house members of armed forces) in the West do not share beds in the sense of sleeping on the same mattress with someone else.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:51 am
Translatorcz, I'm curious as to why China (the government, I presume) prohibits large beds for laborers. I understand that abstinence from large beds is one of the ten precepts of Buddhism, but this typically applies to monks--and it certainly gets me no closer to understanding the spirit behind this ban. Could you enlighten us with some details?
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:21 pm
You make me confused, Valpower. "Ten precepts of Buddhism"? I have not heard of that. In fact, what I know is some monks do sleep on such beds, next to each other. It's a symbol of simple life, I think. For, you know, the bed is easy to make, simply some wood plates sometimes some bricks(sorry, I'm not too sure.) is enough. And it's cheaper even you use beds to make one big bed. Because the big one can accomodate more people. So some poor family or cheap hotels use it to lower their cost. So one man even doesn't own his own deserved living space.
So I think it's a humanistic method to prohibit it, I think.
And thank you Setanta.
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 02:09 pm
translatorcz wrote:
You make me confused, Valpower. "Ten precepts of Buddhism"?

Translatorcz, I didn't mean to side-track the discussion with Buddhism. I was unclear as to why large beds are being banned nor what the definition of "large bed" was. I mentioned the precepts because this is the only time I've heard of anything mentioned about large beds. As there are many precepts in Buddhism and as they are very complex, I'm sure that the idea of ten precepts is merely for simplification or in connection with some observances. (If you are curious, type "precepts of Buddhism" into Google, you will find many listings with 5, 8, and 10 precepts.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 04:49 pm
I remember reading years ago that Catholic applicants for monastic orders in many oriental countries felt that a single bed (as opposed to a single or group pallet on the floor) was unseemly luxury.
0 Replies

translatorcz

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 09:38 am
Yes, I know, Valpower. And does it make sense now?
Noddy, I'm not so sure.
0 Replies